HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 09:35 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
Unless it can be as good as the likes of Hitec, JR & Futaba hardware & software wise....
With ER9x or a couple of the other open source firmware options, it's already way better than just about any other radio. So there's a somewhat strange situation here - those who've used ER9x "in anger" almost never want to go back to anything else, but they can only have the software they want on $50 hardware.

The hardware is acceptable partially because the software makes it worthwhile.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 09:56 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
never had any problem with the hardware in my Turnigy 9x, even after 2 years using it 2 to 3 days a week. Very happy with it.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old May 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
39 Posts
Well as with any cheap hardware more or less without warranty you take a risk buying it.
One should always check so everything is put together as intended.
If you dont like the sticks or swiches then one option could be to search for a broken transmitter From Futaba or another big brand and do some transplantation.
Everything is possible.
I will buy one for shure
Pumpe is offline Find More Posts by Pumpe
Old May 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
584 Posts
I only know of three 9X tx's that are in use ( each of them have similar issues, trim switches, buttons for menus, loosing model settings at random & in one case poor signal range.

I would hope that the new one is vastly different in every way.
simo71 is online now Find More Posts by simo71
Old May 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
I have two in use here and know of one more at our field. None of them have had any of those issues and work perfectly.

Have you actually used one?

Robert

Quote:
I only know of three 9X tx's that are in use ( each of them have similar issues, trim switches, buttons for menus, loosing model settings at random & in one case poor signal range.

I would hope that the new one is vastly different in every way.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old May 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
I have two in use here and know of one more at our field. None of them have had any of those issues and work perfectly.

Have you actually used one?

Robert
Yes I have (my sons old v2)...& until you use a JR or A9 as I do will know how #@*% the 9x is.

This new radio needs to be vastly better than the current 9X before I could recommend it.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have (my sons old v2)...& until you use a JR or A9 as I do will know how #@*% the 9x is.

This new radio needs to be vastly better than the current 9X before I could recommend it.
You dont have to recommend it. Its not meant to compete with the high end radios. Its positioned as the best bang for the buck, if that means you give up a little bit of build quality to save 90% off the cost of the big guys. If anyone can afford a 500+ dollar radio, more power to them. But for those of us that have a ~100 dollar budget, I cant imagine a better radio out there. Seriously, what would you suggest I spend my 100 bucks on? And answering that I should keep on saving till I can afford a high end radio is a cop out. I could spend that time happily flying with my inferior radio.
GuitsBoy is offline Find More Posts by GuitsBoy
Old May 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
I'm currently waiting out on a new 9XR, hopefully the TX will come out around June-July, i'm currently using a exceed rc TX ( manufactured by Fly-sky i believe ) i also used to own a DX6i but i can't afford the expensive RX.

and hopefully they will keep it at the same price point ( if even cheaper, i am sold )
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Old May 17, 2012, 09:27 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Have you used a 9x flashed to ER9x and sporting a FrSky module?
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 18, 2012, 12:09 AM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Have you used a 9x flashed to ER9x and sporting a FrSky module?
You are still left with the same hardware though...What does it cost to add the firmware/software & the frysky module? To answer your question though no I have not...I did look into it briefly for my sons one but at the end of the day we would still be left with the same hardware. The QA is to inconsistent....on the 9X.

I trust every effort will be put into this new transmitter to ensure it's much better.

In what configurations will it come as far as hardware etc?
Old May 18, 2012, 12:41 PM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
Quote:
What does it cost to add the firmware/software & the frysky module?
The frsky module is $50 with an 8ch full range diversity telemetry Rx, or you can add a DHT-U telemetry screen / module in one for $55. The firmware only costs you a few afternoons of soldering and perhaps an $8 usb-serial cable.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old May 18, 2012, 06:01 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
I would hope that the new transmitter is vastly better than the current 9x from various markets. The current 9x is the biggest heap of @#$* I know, & sorry you cant polish a turd.

Unless it can be as good as the likes of Hitec, JR & Futaba hardware & software wise....
I disagree, for it's features and money, it's the best you can get. It's more reliable than a Spektrum, even when it's build quality is less.

I do think people should not forget that it obviously can't compete with a $400 radio, but it has excellent value.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old May 18, 2012, 06:06 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:

I trust every effort will be put into this new transmitter to ensure it's much
why? It'll still be a cheap $50 radio and it'll still be manufactured within the limits that'll define. I think you've got your expectations all wrong.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old May 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
I do think people should not forget that it obviously can't compete with a $400 radio, but it has excellent value.
i disagree with you. imo it DOES compete with $400 radios. at least for those that can take advantage of the advanced features. of course there are those who buy a radio simply for its inflated price (mercedes syndrome). in that case it does not compete.

some of those predictions are ridiculous. i say itll be very close to existing model with one or two added ports and maybe mega128 instead of mega64.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old May 18, 2012, 06:50 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
584 Posts
Sorry but your kidding your selves statements like that dave? It still uses the same unreliable hardware such as switches trims, menu buttons etc. I have used a total of three over time & they all feel & act nasty.

It's very much a case of you get what you pay for here. If a more hands on approach is used with the new 9XR (seems like) then there is room to trump the existing one.

I love the fact that in this day & age a hobby is much more affordable for everyone...then we have people who say they can't afford to buy a radio for a few hundred yet have five or more models worth triple that!

I realise that the other firmware/software makes the 9x a much better radio program wise, but thats about all...like I have already said, the hardware still remains.

There is nothing wrong with cheap providing it is good, my son & many a friend use the ORX stuff & it represents fantastic value for money & have proven very reliable.