Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,258 Posts
Well, we know there is one, it's been said from the start (and again in that tweet). Now I doubt its location is so terribly important
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
Australia, SA
Joined Aug 2009
44 Posts
The programming plug is in the battery compartment.
From over on the Hobbyking forums:

"Hobbyking_Admin: 13/April

The 9XR has a pin-out in the battery compartment for easier flashing without needing to unscrew the case.
We are taking care of the customers that like to fiddle, don't worry about that."
Rohan_P is offline Find More Posts by Rohan_P
Last edited by Rohan_P; Nov 13, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold wombat View Post
Less bling would certainly be nice.

Anthony has hinted strongly a while back that the $49.99 price won't last long. Intro price only. Get in early for the good price and risk bugs from prod run #1, or wait till the second prod run and /maybe/ get a better build quality product (if there do happen to be v1 issues) with a higher price.
I think I'll pass - flashing software is fine, but coming from Mpx quality I'd prefer to pay a higher price for a less blingy TX where I don't need to upgrade the physicals. I have my fingers crossed the FrSky X12D is that TX...

MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Nov 13, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
makes sense to put it in battery compartment. no reason to have it on the outside like a trainer port needs to be. hopefully it will have same pinout as usbasp/stk dongles. still hard to believe this thing is going for $70. maybe they will assign couple extra kg and shipping will push it over $100. still a bargain i guess.

i do like the look of the old 9x better.

btw i have a futaba that was given to me with bad pot by a fellow because repair was too costly. i fixed the pot but didnt notice the 6 pin connector. or didnt realize it was a trainer port. thanks for bringing me up to speed on that.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
As long as its easy to update firmware with the er9x, then I'm down for this new 9RX.
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
I hope the programming plug is either USB or SD card where you only have to move an image file on the drive or card. I don't want to mess with programmer drivers and this sort of stuff.
rcdw is offline Find More Posts by rcdw
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
that would be nice like with the keycams but not likely because requires a bootloader 10x bigger than avr can handle.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:34 PM
Youtube: RCTestFlite
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Jul 2012
31 Posts
ETA for 9xr, about a week and a half from now!
flyboy7531 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy7531
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,515 Posts
Should I get a 9XR or X9D? I would like to have DSM2 capability to keep running my BNF fleets and basic audio telemetry so I can get variometer and possibly altitude readouts which probably means a Frsky module.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:34 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
I don't know much about the X9D - the main reason I'm probably going to go 9XR over, say, a Dx8 is because the 9xR seems like the most modern module-based radio in the price range I'm looking for... Does the X9D have a module system?
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:47 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
HK is releasing stock software that they supposedly modeled after er9x... who knows how good it will be.
Fortunately er9x is a pretty good base. And they'll be releasing the source code, so even if it's got problems it will probably be sorted out pretty quickly.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:48 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
I don't know much about the X9D - the main reason I'm probably going to go 9XR over, say, a Dx8 is because the 9xR seems like the most modern module-based radio in the price range I'm looking for... Does the X9D have a module system?
Yes it seems the x9d will be module based too and hopefully with support for dsmx, fasst and frsky.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
x9d is going to have much better inner hardware, also microSD, powerfull processor, speaker, telemetry... and an higher price comapred to 9xr

however i find the use of the kingmax shell was make it look like a toy.

x12d looks really cool, but fat and heavy and expensive.
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
If it's based on er9x then it's very good. At the least we can all agree that it will be much better than the current 9x firmware!

And, due to it having an inbuilt programmer, if you don't like it you can flash it with the flavour of your choice.
I have a bit mixed thoughts about this. If it really is with similar firmware to er9x & Co it will really be beyond the capabilities of the big audience. For us fiddlers the er9x is brilliant and no big deal to learn and program but I have many flying buddies I will not even consider to take the burden of introducing and trying to teach how to deal with the said firmware. Let alone to re-flash one.

Big audience wants easy to use pre-programmed mixes, wing types etc.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:40 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
i do like the look of the old 9x better.
I like the Frsky 12D and the new Jeti design very much. Even Futaba 8FG is more adult like than most. The unnecessary bling is unnecessary and just adds cost. I find the JR 11 aka Optimus Prime just ridiculous and toyish. All the nooks and crannies with no function just collect dust and dirt and makes the cleaning very difficult.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12