HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Someone already called it. The orange tx looks like an JR XG8 clone.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=5

KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:55 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,171 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

I guess we now know HK are capable of making a DSM2/DSMX module.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:26 AM
United States, KY, Owensboro
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
So, will this work in the flsky 9x that has the removable module?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post

I guess we now know HK are capable of making a DSM2/DSMX module.
SlyKYFox is offline Find More Posts by SlyKYFox
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:51 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
721 Posts
Yes, It says it will work in the 9x on the product page.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:17 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,171 Posts
Yep, although from the photo and video there's no recess on the module connector (just like frsky modules), so if you've got one of the newer 9x's with the shroud around the module pins you'll likely have to cut it down.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
Tail-in hoverer.
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorp_jon View Post
Orange transmitter from HobbyKing on Gyrocopter video:

video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeBLc...eature=g-all-u

photo here

Yep.
If you check the latest from HK, as some posts have already suggested, you can now buy a RF module for JR / Turnigy radios that is pretty much a Spektrum DSM2 / DSMX compatible RF module.

This module is compatible with all of the "orange" series receivers from HK, as well as the relevant Spektrum receivers depending on the protocol (DSM2 / DSMX only) so now you can play with all of the BNF models from Horizon etc, without needing to own a Spektrum branded radio.

The 6 channel orange radio that is depicted, my best bet is that its merely the whole shebang that is due to be released soon that bundles a radio and module together that is compatible with Spektrum gear.
Notice its the same icons and logo's on both the radio from the video and the RF module available from HK?

Also note, that the HK orange receivers claim they are "not a clone, nor a copy" of Spektrum equipment, and that is arguably very plausible. There is nothing to suggest that the Chinese could not indigenously develop RF technology that will work on and utilize existing protocols.

Ultimately this means that my money is on the 6 channel "orange" radio that was demonstrated on the autogyro video has nothing to do with the pending Turnigy 9XR, but is another unrelated project.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Mike View Post
Yep.
If you check the latest from HK, as some posts have already suggested, you can now buy a RF module for JR / Turnigy radios that is pretty much a Spektrum DSM2 / DSMX compatible RF module.

This module is compatible with all of the "orange" series receivers from HK, as well as the relevant Spektrum receivers depending on the protocol (DSM2 / DSMX only) so now you can play with all of the BNF models from Horizon etc, without needing to own a Spektrum branded radio.

The 6 channel orange radio that is depicted, my best bet is that its merely the whole shebang that is due to be released soon that bundles a radio and module together that is compatible with Spektrum gear.
Notice its the same icons and logo's on both the radio from the video and the RF module available from HK?

Also note, that the HK orange receivers claim they are "not a clone, nor a copy" of Spektrum equipment, and that is arguably very plausible. There is nothing to suggest that the Chinese could not indigenously develop RF technology that will work on and utilize existing protocols.

Ultimately this means that my money is on the 6 channel "orange" radio that was demonstrated on the autogyro video has nothing to do with the pending Turnigy 9XR, but is another unrelated project.
DSM, DSM2, and DSMX have patents any thing that interfaces with them with out paying what ever fees Horizon asks is infringing on the patents
sure the boards could be new designs but the way it works has to be the same or it doest work
i dont see Horizon letting it go this time
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,320 Posts
From the front display and control button style it looks like someone cloned a Spektrum TX.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
DSM, DSM2, and DSMX have patents any thing that interfaces with them with out paying what ever fees Horizon asks is infringing on the patents
sure the boards could be new designs but the way it works has to be the same or it doest work
Do you happen to have the patent numbers?
rcdw is offline Find More Posts by rcdw
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,479 Posts
gime a bit id have to look it up
but i bet there is nice list of them in the back of the DX6i and DX8 manuals
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,479 Posts
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/7,391,320

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...+Hobby,+Inc%22

have fun but that covers all the stuff that make it work regardless of HOW it works
Last edited by Elios000; Oct 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:47 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,215 Posts
Even without this discussion about patents, not understand what's so cool having a DSM* clone ?!
Cheap receivers ? Come-on, only the 6ch are cheap, what serious plane can you fly with 6 channels ?!
No telemetry, the weakest link reliability of all brand radios, should I continue ?!
This is really what you want, only to save $10 a receiver ?!
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,479 Posts
to be fair 3D planks only need 6 channels up 30cc size
but yea i wouldnt put a 10 buck knock off RX in plane i have 1000+ in >.>

the other thing is i hate patent trolls and people like RIAA/MPAA and Apples patent trolling
but in this case Horizon came up with some thing new that should be protected they did the all the R and D work and took all the risk and here comes HK to take the reward with no risk

same goes for Futaba btw

if there was ever a case for patent infringement this is it
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
It is not possible to patent software interfaces. This has been tried in courts several times. It is very possible to patent software functionality implementation, which makes it paramount to be able to prove that you build from a clean slate rather that by reverse engineering existing code.
dvogonen is online now Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,007 Posts
I don't think everyone is in the hobby for the "serious" stuff. Having the ability to fly the bnf micro helis and plane that Horizon Hobby produce is a worthwhile reason for the excitement of a DSM2, plug and play TX module.

Beyond that, I can agree with you. For the larger aircrafts that can take it's own receiver, there are other protocols that works really well.

For those who entered the market with DSM2 micro and invested in a Specktrum radio, and now are stepping up to larger birds....and if are like any of us addicts, own many different frames..I don't fault them for trying to save a few bucks.

In the end, it's nice to have the flexibility of choice.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon