HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2013, 03:27 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steidlmick View Post
Don't use more than 8 cells. In this transmitter even 6 NiMH cells are sufficient to provide the voltage needed to power the internal regulator.
The transmitter uses a linear voltage regulator which needs around 6.0 volts from the battery to work stable. The excess of voltage is dissipated as thermal energy - in other words: heat.
It makes absolutely no sense to use 3S lipos (as suggested by Hobbyking) because their use only increases heat und reduces lifespan. 2S lipos or 6S NiMH are totally sufficient.
How about the RF transmitter module? Doesn't that require a higher voltage?

For instance the 2.4GHz FrSKY DJT - would that work (with full range) on a 3S LiFe battery dropping down to 9.0 or even 8.5 volts?
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2013, 03:30 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,438 Posts
Depends on the module. The DJT is rated down to 6V.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old May 14, 2013, 05:13 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,334 Posts
Mine just arrived...I have updated to the latest OpenTX fw, I like it a lot. What I dislike is the sticks/gimbals...when I move the elevator stick to front (full) the aileron value goes to -10,5%...at back it is around +4,5%...

I have made the calibration few times, but the same...just wanted to be sure...

I have replaced the thumb-sticks from my FlySky TH9X because those are more grippy...
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Last edited by bulesz; May 14, 2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 05:41 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
How about the RF transmitter module? Doesn't that require a higher voltage?
For instance the 2.4GHz FrSKY DJT - would that work (with full range) on a 3S LiFe battery dropping down to 9.0 or even 8.5 volts?
That's module dependend of course.
Most modern modules (e.g. FrSky DJT/DHT) can handle a wide range, starting from 5 or 6 volts up to 13, 14 or sometimes 16 volts.
steidlmick is offline Find More Posts by steidlmick
Old May 14, 2013, 05:52 PM
Tumbling Turkey
United Kingdom, Nottingham
Joined Mar 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
With a Spektrum module insatlled, yes.

Could be a Spektrum DM9. an Orange, or you can use the RF section and voltage regulator from a DX4e/DX5e.
Is there a "how to" regarding transplanting said parts from a DX4e? I've seen one for the 9x but the insides appear totally different.
My bro in law has just brought a 9XR and wanted to drop his bits into it to save buying a dodgy Orange module.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Uksaint is offline Find More Posts by Uksaint
Old May 14, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,697 Posts
Because there is little room inside the radio, the few I,ve seen use an empty module case and mount the parts in the mdule case. Use the module pins for PPM, post, and gnd. You'll need a 3.3V bec to drop the voltage for Spektrum module. Other than that, everything is the same as the 9x.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old May 14, 2013, 06:23 PM
Tumbling Turkey
United Kingdom, Nottingham
Joined Mar 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Because there is little room inside the radio, the few I,ve seen use an empty module case and mount the parts in the mdule case. Use the module pins for PPM, post, and gnd. You'll need a 3.3V bec to drop the voltage for Spektrum module. Other than that, everything is the same as the 9x.
Thanks for the advice. I have pinched a regulator from his 4e to use instead of a ubec.
What I was originally asking was as there is a fair bit of difference to the internal layout between the 9x & 9XR I needed to know where to pick up the ppm, the 3.3v and the ground? I have got hold of the info needed to do it on a 9x but as far as I can see everything is totally different in the XR? If I can get some correlation between the two I should be able to work it out.

Thanks again for your input.
Uksaint is offline Find More Posts by Uksaint
Old May 14, 2013, 06:23 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Its another Hobby King delivery day!. Today I got another many things a 9XR Carry case!. I have to say I am surprised at the quality of the case foe the 9XR. I recommend it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9YVc...ature=youtu.be
Sweet! How do you think of the FrSky telemetry screen mounted on the 9xr. Is it stable? visible? etc??
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old May 15, 2013, 02:05 AM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Just bought OrangeRX module from NL warehouse and if buddy code tells the truth, it's almost 50% discount with it (~17$ instead of 32$):
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...4-440150B9AF89
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old May 15, 2013, 02:12 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
Just bought OrangeRX module from NL warehouse and if buddy code tells the truth, it's almost 50% discount with it (~17$ instead of 32$):
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...4-440150B9AF89
You should have got the FrSky instead of the cheep orange thing!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 15, 2013, 02:30 AM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
I have it Also I have ultramicro su-26xp with built-in spectrum stuff and bunch of spectrum receivers for my parkflyers. Also at this price orangerx beats even Turningy module i think
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Last edited by dziedrius; May 15, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Dec 2011
384 Posts
Quote:
OrangeRx is way cheaper for being about $6 a receiver and they are very light too.
they work great for a normal park flyer.
CoolD is offline Find More Posts by CoolD
Old May 15, 2013, 02:30 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Depends on the module. The DJT is rated down to 6V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steidlmick View Post
That's module dependend of course.
Most modern modules (e.g. FrSky DJT/DHT) can handle a wide range, starting from 5 or 6 volts up to 13, 14 or sometimes 16 volts.
Kilrah, steidlmick,

thanks, very useful. I'll be running the 9XR on a 3s LiFe pack, then. How about the 100mW Orange 433MHz OpenLRS module? Do you know the supply voltage specs for that as well?

thanks again

Mike
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old May 15, 2013, 02:44 PM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
2,280 Posts
basic question

I'm debating about ordering one of these. But know nothing about them. Can I use it straight out of the box with an orange dsm2 module? Or do I learn some extensive programming? I am use to a DX6i. And don't really want anything more complicated than that. Only reason I want one is for additional channels .so I can fire the gun and drop bombs on my v7 Mustang. But if you guys say the sticks are crap and stock controls not good. Maybe I'd be better off with a DX8? This thread seems more for programming geeks than someone like me that just wants a few more channels without complications.
52Sabre is online now Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Old May 15, 2013, 03:00 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
The 9XR is so easy to program my kindergarten child programed mine!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)