HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2004
238 Posts
Hi All

What receivers will work with a Turnight 9x TX?. Full range models. The standard RX has that "heavy" aerial that has broken on me in a not so heavy arrival.

I replaced it with a standard aerial but no joy.

Can't tell if there is other damage to the RX. No physical damage. After soldering I ensured that the new aerial was not shorted.

I pulled apart the damaged aerial and it is a piece of brass tubing with a plug in one end soldered to the aerial. This is IMHO forms an open circuit stub. ie wave guide theory. Any comments?

My first question is my main concern and I would like to know what other folks are using in the way of receivers with the 9x tx

Thanks for any input.

Cheers jq
Aussie John is offline Find More Posts by Aussie John
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
811 Posts
I only use the turnigy 8 channel ones from hobbyking. Had some problems with the 6 channel so just stuck with what works. If I order something from HK then I'll usually add a couple of them as they are usually around $9 each.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,600 Posts
I and many others use these 6channel Rx's. Cheap and tiny. No problems. I have them in two airplanes.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12901
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:06 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,033 Posts
also note that they have ppm out which even many expensive rx lack. the 3ch were my favorite but price has doubled and if i need 4ch the 6ch is next best thing.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
811 Posts
Those were the ones I had a problem with. I use them in my smaller planes/foamies and seem to be ok. Just don't trust them after two different model crashes.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I and many others use these 6channel Rx's. Cheap and tiny. No problems. I have them in two airplanes.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12901
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:47 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
also note that they have ppm out which even many expensive rx lack. the 3ch were my favorite but price has doubled and if i need 4ch the 6ch is next best thing.
What does this mean? PPM out?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:50 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,033 Posts
ppm stands for pulse position modulation and is a combined version of the servo and esc signals that only need 1 pin instead of many. not so much for planes but very useful for multicopters and uavs where bulky cables are a problem.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,473 Posts
old style s-bus
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:21 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
ppm stands for pulse position modulation and is a combined version of the servo and esc signals that only need 1 pin instead of many. not so much for planes but very useful for multicopters and uavs where bulky cables are a problem.
I know PPM as a signal enoding within the transmitter that is used ot transmit the information to the receiver. Are you saying you are tapping into the PPM stream for something new? Otherwise, plugging a servo into the receiver gives you access to the PPM stream for servo commands. Pretty much all receivers do that.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:43 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,033 Posts
servos cannot use ppm. they need pwm which requires a separate pin for each signal. ppm is a combined version of the servo and esc signals that only need 1 pin instead of many. usually an mcu is what connects to ppm. google is your friend.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:45 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,241 Posts
you learn something new every day.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:47 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,473 Posts
This drawing may help even more:

renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:42 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie John View Post
Hi All

What receivers will work with a Turnight 9x TX?. Full range models. The standard RX has that "heavy" aerial that has broken on me in a not so heavy arrival.

I replaced it with a standard aerial but no joy.

Can't tell if there is other damage to the RX. No physical damage. After soldering I ensured that the new aerial was not shorted.

I pulled apart the damaged aerial and it is a piece of brass tubing with a plug in one end soldered to the aerial. This is IMHO forms an open circuit stub. ie wave guide theory. Any comments?

My first question is my main concern and I would like to know what other folks are using in the way of receivers with the 9x tx

Thanks for any input.

Cheers jq
good tip: slide a drinking straw over the aerial and hot glue it to the receiver. this prevents it from ripping off in a crash.
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:51 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
so is there any updates on when the new 9xr transmitter will be released??
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:38 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Why ask? If there was an update it would have been posted and you would have read it. Nothing posted means no update. Pretty simple really.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly