SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:49 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Do you have a Turnigy 9XR (which is what this thread is about) or a 9X, which is a different transmitter and in particular has totally different firmware?

If you have a 9X, you could well be confusing the mislabeled list of model memories (called "mode 1" etc.!) with the real mode choice menu.

The way to find out what's going on is NOT to use the receiver and servos but to go to the transmitter's display or monitor.
aghh... I have a 9x thats been " flashed " ?? Its second hand so Im not sure...
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:08 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
One thing I'm kinda confused about... How does gluing the gimbals have anything to do with the fact that you are using Orange RX's? Or did you just include that fact in there for the purpose of adding details?
Let me clarify, you don't actually glue the gimbals, the wires coming from the gimbals to the pcb are too short, it creates tension on the wire when the stick is moved to its far positions and the theory is that the wires may wiggle free at the PCB. Prior to gluing the gimbal wires to the PCB, I lost control of 4 solid airframes, one 4x in under 2min. Since gluing the wires to the PCB, I've logged 2hrs with no control loss. So while I can't say for sure this is what caused it, the performance has been better since doing it.

If you read through this threads you will see many comments on this issue and detailed pictures. Also if you open the back of your 9xr you will see the wires I am talking about.

I added the detail about the Orange RX just to be clear on the equipment I was using, which is also important in understanding the range loss I'm having going from DX6i to 9XR. Although, you're right the orange rx and gluing the gimbal wires are unrelated.
Krash n Burn is online now Find More Posts by Krash n Burn
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:16 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzparkPilot View Post
aghh... I have a 9x thats been " flashed " ?? Its second hand so Im not sure...
Presumably to ER9X. Press the left button a few times and you should see a screen that identifies the version. If it is ER9X, you have essentially the same firmware as comes standard with the new 9XR (though there are some differences).

So at least you don't have to cope with the vagaries of the stock firmware.

Selecting the mode should be easy, but there's more to it than just selecting mode 2 and expecting everything to work. You will have to change the programming to get the correct inputs where they should go.

Tell us exactly what firmware you have, including the version number and people will be able to give you advice.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
135 Posts
Quote:
The long range modules and receivers are neither necessary nor intended for normal flying (I.e., anything other than FPV or maybe very large gliders flown visually). The current FrSky equipment gives ample range.
I've been watching the FrSky forum from a far and have picked up that you are very knowledgable, I do appreciate your feedback!

Yes, I am aware. As of today the normal FrSky equipment is good enough for my flying, but I intend to start FPV'ing by years end. That's why I am waiting for the new LR module. If I can wait 1-2months for its release and only have to buy the module once, it's worth it to me. I intend to buy the standard FrSky RX's and will only break the bank for LR RX's, when it's for FPV.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:35 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Presumably to ER9X. Press the left button a few times and you should see a screen that identifies the version.
Well.....
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:12 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Well.....
Somebody's idea of a funny splash screen! Not the screen I had in mind.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Feb 26, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:17 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash n Burn View Post
Yes, I am aware. As of today the normal FrSky equipment is good enough for my flying, but I intend to start FPV'ing by years end. That's why I am waiting for the new LR module. If I can wait 1-2months for its release and only have to buy the module once, it's worth it to me. I intend to buy the standard FrSky RX's and will only break the bank for LR RX's, when it's for FPV.
Makes sense. I'm sure you understand that new XJT module will work with existing D-type receivers but not the one-way V8 type.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
59 Posts
9XR & frsky DIY module

9XR&frsky DIY module byJang (0 min 25 sec)
jangkihoon is offline Find More Posts by jangkihoon
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
135 Posts
Quote:
Makes sense. I'm sure you understand that new XJT module will work with existing D-type receivers but not the one-way V8 type.
I just checked the news release on FrSky's site and XJT will be compatible with the V8-II one-way type. Is that what you meant or is there something I am missing? They list compatability with all the RX's aloft carries.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:07 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,667 Posts
Quote:
I just checked the news release on FrSky's site and XJT will be compatible with the V8-II one-way type. Is that what you meant or is there something I am missing? They list compatability with all the RX's aloft carries.
The problem is that they are running out of the GUIDs that the original V series use.
The new module has a new GUID scheme with more bits, so they won't work with the old V series.

There are new one way receivers that will be supported.

Details are here in the FrSky thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9871
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:28 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Nov 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewboktor View Post
My 9XR has a strange glitch. I wonder if any of you has seen this. or if not, if any of you are well expenrienced with Tx construction that they might be able to pin point where the problem is.

The main problem is that when I have my elevator stick pushed all the way to pitch up position, then I push my ailerons stick to roll left, for a moment the Tx understand this as roll *right* then it flips back to roll left. I made a video to show this. At first I thought it might be a glitch in the software drawing the tiny circle, so I connected it to the SIM and to my Bixler, the radio actually sends out the wrong value for the AIL channel.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9evtgjbsu...2002.14.17.mp4
Can this be something related to wrong placement or otherwise of the potentiometer?
So today, I opened it up and had a good hack at it. In short, it was a defective pot. Changing it would have fixed the problem.

Long Story:
The plate that holds the brushes inside the pot was not properly fixed to the pot shaft. So the pot shaft could move ever so slightly in and out, about 0.5mm. This movement would cause that plate (the one that holds the brushes) to move closer to the tiny pcb inside the pot more than it should. This caused a tiny rivot on the plate to touch one of the rivots on the pcb and give a 0 value. This wasn't the case in all locations, thus the strange jump you see.

The solution was to disassemble the pot, push the plate as far up the shaft as possible then hammer the center rivot to flatten it a bit and prevent that plate from moving down the shaft again. Of course opening a pot comes with a hole bunch of possible problems that could happen, bend the fragile brushes, bend the case in a way it shouldn't .... etc. Which all seemed to happen to me. After about 1 hour of putting the pot back together exactly as it was (except for the flattened center rivot), it works perfectly now . I have a non defective 9XR .
andrewboktor is offline Find More Posts by andrewboktor
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:17 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,277 Posts
Quote:
Sorry. I should have mentioned V8-II receivers as compatible. I was using the FrSky site as my source, forgetting the Chase Wu clarification.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:58 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Presumably to ER9X. Press the left button a few times and you should see a screen that identifies the version. If it is ER9X, you have essentially the same firmware as comes standard with the new 9XR (though there are some differences).

So at least you don't have to cope with the vagaries of the stock firmware.

Selecting the mode should be easy, but there's more to it than just selecting mode 2 and expecting everything to work. You will have to change the programming to get the correct inputs where they should go.

Tell us exactly what firmware you have, including the version number and people will be able to give you advice.

Ok, I have the ER9X - I posted this question on the er9x upgrade thread so I hope Im not doubling up but this is what Im seeing on my homescreen... it looks like its a channel mapping issue right ?
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:21 AM
Total Newbie
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Dec 2012
470 Posts
Hi guys,unrelated question here...what is the e-mail ID to send HobbyKing emails for enquiries and support?And how long do they regularly take to respond?
Got a shipping issue here,
Sorry for the off-topic,ignore if not interested

Peace
jkishan16 is online now Find More Posts by jkishan16
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:32 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Use the live chat instead.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby