HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Got my 9xr today. It's what expected. Nice radio for $50. It came in from the cold (high 30's) and the buttons we're not stuck. The up/down requires a bit of a press but I don't count that as a defect, just a different button design. Everyone talks about the gimbals and how nice they feel. Well I wish it had 9x gimbals, these are cheap garbage. The elevator won't stay centered no matter how many times I calibrate it, and the throttle has a non-even resistance to it that increases at the ends and even pushes the stick back a bit from full throttle when you release it. Mine has some of the "cracks" if you look closely. These are not cracks at all, just molding imperfection and really nothing to worry about. The radio looks great. The faceplate is a matte texture so it's not quite as shiny as in the pics. and I like the darkened chrome color. I have a Flysky module on order for it if it ever ships and will order the DSM module when it is released. The only thing that bothers me is the gimbals. I guess I'm going to have to open it up and look at them. Maybe if I back off the tension a bit that will help. And I'll give it the once over while I have it open. I already have a programmer, but I like how this version of ER9x has servo reversing RIGHT THERE. This drove me nuts when I was first using ER9X.

Good God, when did I go over 1900 posts? I better not start counting RC models in the hangar!
Its a well known issue that the wires inside can run across the gimbals & cause exactly the issue you are talking about, all you need to do is open the radio & secure the wires so they don't affect the gimbals.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:12 PM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
As Nebstress says open it up and check out the wire routing. My ER9X gimbals have better resolution, are more accurate and are more crisp the my ER9X.
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:24 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalamikid View Post
as nebstress says open it up and check out the wire routing. My er9x gimbals have better resolution, are more accurate and are more crisp the my er9x.
Say what now?
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:38 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,442 Posts
LOL. Ok. That got a good laugh out of me.

I am sure his mind was thinking one thing and the hands decided to type another. God knows how often I've done that myself.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Noob/9XR. I had this radio working fine with my Quad Copter/KK2, when I acquainted the quad to the geological properties of terra firma.

Re-Calibrated the sticks and dials, but....when I move the roll stick even the slightest to the left, all 4 motors shut down. When I move the aileron to the right, all 4 engines respond as they should.

Would any of you folks care to take a poke at this problem, from a noob?

Thanks, and here is a video log of the problem:
Turnigy 9Xr (1 min 21 sec)
Fastmetal is offline Find More Posts by Fastmetal
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:54 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmetal View Post
Noob/9XR. I had this radio working fine with my Quad Copter/KK2, when I acquainted the quad to the geological properties of terra firma.

Re-Calibrated the sticks and dials, but....when I move the roll stick even the slightest to the left, all 4 motors shut down. When I move the aileron to the right, all 4 engines respond as they should.

Would any of you folks care to take a poke at this problem, from a noob?

Thanks, and here is a video log of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oSiv71PwbI
It might be good to bring it up on the KK2 forum, but from a radio standpoint what are your channel assignments? It looked like channel1 was moving to -100% when you were moving channel 2 down.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:52 AM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
It might be good to bring it up on the KK2 forum, but from a radio standpoint what are your channel assignments? It looked like channel1 was moving to -100% when you were moving channel 2 down.
That is what I thought I saw as well... What is the chance the ESC's need reprogrammed for throttle travel?

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
I agree, sounds like the ESC's need calibrating.

[EDIT]

Just watched the video, are you sure all the channels are connected in the correct order?

It should only be able to disarm when the throttle is at Min. position & usually you'd use the rudder to arm/disarm.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Some advice

Hi everyone, I'm just getting back into flying after many many years, so I have a few questions. First, I recently bought a 9X with module since the 9XR was on backorder. However, I was able to get a 9XR a week later so I now have both. So while I enjoy doing mods, is it worthwhile keeping the 9X or should I just sell it since it's brand new?

Also, I bought a Frsky and Orange module. I was originally thinking of having all three (Frsky, Orange and Flysky) but wonder if it's even worth having a Flysky (which would have to be modded from the 9X)? I will be using the Orange for a mcpx and the Frsky for a gamma 370 pro and a 450heli.

Finally, my 9XR just arrived yesterday and looks great except the throttle gimbal shaft is not centered. It doesn't appear to be bent but rather angled, almost cross threaded. Are these shafts removable? (not the stick ends, the actual threaded shaft) When looking at a side view, the center of the tip of the stick is off by almost a 1/4".

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any help.
lvclimber is offline Find More Posts by lvclimber
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:19 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,322 Posts
Well I had my 9XR working for about 4 hours. After that the AUX2 knob stopped working. Seems like it's something on the board went bad as I can move those wires to another location and the knob works. When you flip the TX on you can watch the values go from 0 to +100. Then all of a sudden without touching the knob they start to fall to -100. The calibration menu does nothing for this knob.

Guess this one is going the way of the RMA gods!
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:33 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
You need to have a spare radio if you have a 9x or 9xr. They are great radios for what they are but cheaply made and can fail at any time. Its amazing to me how much these radios are touted as the best of the best. I love it but it is what it is, a cheap radio. I see modded radios with custom firmware, sticks, paint, talking modules, telemetry. Yeah it's awesome up until a stick gimbal wire comes loose in the Tx. Then it's all not worth bunk. Use a 9x/9xr? Absolutely, wonderful radio for the price. Have a spare, yes, there is no warranty support. Use them on expensive models? NEVER.

That said, the 9x IS my GO TO radio as most of my models are cheap casual models. But I feel bad for anyone who has to stretch to buy a 9x or 9xr and then depend on it as their sole radio.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
You need to have a spare radio if you have a 9x or 9xr. They are great radios for what they are but cheaply made and can fail at any time.
In your opinion is this an issue with the quality of assembly, the quality of parts, or both? By that I mean are the switches and pots themselves failing, or is it the wiring, the glue joints, the soldering, etc? I can't believe they couldn't boost the quality of assembly for an additional $10 or $15.
wingz is offline Find More Posts by wingz
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
No, you're right, they can't fix it for a few bucks. My issue was a solder joint breaking free. On the 9xr, they have moles plugs where before wires were just soldered, but now I have wire tension making the throttle feel non-linear, and pushing back when the stick is released. I helped it a little when I opened it up and repositioned the wire, but not much else can be done with it. It's all fine right now, but you have to be ready for any part to fail at any time. Sure a better brand can fail too, but it's far less likely. They have a reputation to uphold. With the cheap Chinese brands, they can make it pretty shoddy and still sell every unit they make.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I originally was planning on using the 9X as the main radio and a 9XR to play with but went into overload with all the options, issues, etc.

Still not sure what to do about the 9XR stick though. I'm new to HK and I know my dad has had issues with them in the past so not sure what to expect.
lvclimber is offline Find More Posts by lvclimber
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:26 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvclimber View Post
Still not sure what to do about the 9XR stick though. I'm new to HK and I know my dad has had issues with them in the past so not sure what to expect.
As stated, this is a known issue. Some have separated the wires, and some have simply glued the connector. You'll have to open it up and see what is going wrong with the gimbals.
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd