SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:02 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
My first impression- fun radio

Just for some back ground I am coming from a 72 mhz Futaba T4ex. So that is what I have to compare the 9xr to. I fly only park fliers, most of my hanger consists of planes designed by Ed at Experimental Airlines using Dollar Tree Foam Board.

Impressions: When I first opened the box I was surprized at the quality.. I expexted much cheaper switches, and dials. They are all very smooth and function well. The screen is good and the backlight is great.

After watching a few videos I was able to get the channels assigned properly and even was able to get some flaperons mixed up to one of the dials. Very cool coming from a non-computer ratio to see things move with switches. It probably took me 2-3 hours of studying and playing but now I am pretty confident I could program pretty much anything I could want in a foamie with just a little trial and error.

The sticks do not move nearly as far in any direction as my Futaba. They aren't worse just differnt. The 9xr isnt as comforatble to hold as the Futaba. It seems a little more square and my hands just doesn't fit it as well. Also, the buttons are not good. They do not have any feed back and I often have to push them twice to make sure I get what I need. As far as I am concerned they are the worst part of the radio, but they are manageable.

Overall, I am impressed with what I was able to get for my $130. (Rado, receivers, modules, programer, shipping). It has only been a couple of days but first impressions are good.
rjmyklebust is offline Find More Posts by rjmyklebust
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:08 PM
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Nov 2010
150 Posts
Where abouts is sub trim in the radio , thanks
skejah1063 is offline Find More Posts by skejah1063
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:55 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
I picked up my 9Xr at the post office and I am pretty impressed for $50 (more like $105 with module shipping but hey) The buttons seem fine to me and have no problem with them so far. My USBasp is on it's way so I can't flash it until that get here but still seems great for the $$
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:59 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skejah1063 View Post
Where abouts is sub trim in the radio , thanks
beleive its the limits screen, dont have my radio in front of me. Bit its the screent that shows something like CH1 _100<100_ the first dash is the subtrim.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Impression

Ordered my 9XR on the 27th of Jan., shipped on the 30th of Jan, and received the package today. Overall I am impressed.

I did have the sticking exit button issue. The weather is below freezing here at the moment. So this is still a problem on the latest shipments. I was able to fix the sticking button by following the video that is posted on youtube where you sand the edge of the button. This was an easy fix.

I also used a zip tie on the elevator stick wires, as these are still too short and put pressure on the plug going to the main board. My guess is that they have not changed the length of these wires since the first complaints.

Again, I think these are rather minor issues that are easily fixed. Everything else feels good and smooth, with no noise coming from the sticks.
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined May 2011
24 Posts
HobbyKing 9XR review - Yes another one!

I thought I would offer this view point of the 9XR transmitter from HobbyKing. I have not taken photographs, there are already plenty out there.

The background is; I have a new 9XR and several Turnigy 9X TX. I have tried all the mods (er9X, Open9X, FrSky telemetry etc) and have some experience as a user. I have just taken the back off the 9XR for a look see.

My first impression is of a higher build standard then the 9X. I also own a couple of so advertised European built Futaba systems, which I have obviously looked inside, and the build standard is comparable.

If you have modified a 9X then, with the 9XR you will not have to fit a backlight or a means of updating the firmware. The "as delivered" firmware is an ER9X firmware type with a modified splash screen.

The gimbals are much better quality although I could not accurately confirm the bearing systems - they look to be phosphor-bronze, which is not unreasonable at his price point. However, they are very smooth and mechanically superior to those fitted to the 9X.

The outside is quite flashy and not necessarily an ergonomic improvement, although I have big hands and have no issues with the location of the switches and pots, Most of the external controls are in similar locations to the 9X. It is quite pretty - if that flips your switch.

Internally, the general quality of the components is higher than the 9X and the wiring does not have Chinese factory rushed look about it - better quality control.

The internal antenna is the same as those fitted to Turnigy (and HobbyKing) proprietary receivers but without the heat shrink. I have never had an issue with an uncrashed Turnigy or HK RX so I do not expect issues with this antenna system should HK ever produce modules specifically for this TX.

I have fitted a number of Turnigy/JR Tx modules to the 9XR and they have all worked although the mechanical tolerances of the modules and the 9XR module compartment have caused some removal issues - they can get stuck! I have the Orange RX OpenLRS module fitted and it feels like I have superglued it in. (UPDATE 16/02/13 - I have removed some plastic moulding flash from inside the module compartment and modules can be removed easily- sorted).

To summarise; despite the flashy external appearance, this is a definite improvement on the Turnigy 9X and should be purchased in preference to the 9X, unless of course you have a some form of geeky disorder and a pathological need to modify.

I have no doubt we will be hearing (reading) more about the HK 9XR in future.

At 50ish US dollars it is a steal.
alan.powell is offline Find More Posts by alan.powell
Last edited by alan.powell; Feb 16, 2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: An update
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:23 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.powell View Post
I thought I would offer this view point of the ER9X transmitter from HobbyKing. I have not taken photographs, there are already plenty out there.

The background is; I have a new 9XR and several Turnigy 9x TX. I have tried all the mods (er9X, Open9X, FrSky telemetry etc) and have some experience as a user. I have just taken the back off the 9XR for a look see.

My first impression is of a higher build standard then the 9X. I also own a couple of so advertised European built Futaba systems, which I have obviously looked inside, and the build standard is comparable.

If you have modified a 9X then, with the 9XR you will not have to fit a backlight or a means of updating the firmware. The "as delivered" firmware is an ER9X firmware type with a modified splash screen.

The gimbals are much better quality although I could not accurately confirm the bearing systems - they look to be phosphor-bronze, which is not unreasonable at his price point. However, they are very smooth and mechanically superior to those fitted to the 9X.

The outside is quite flashy and not necessarily an ergonomic improvement, although I have big hands and have no issues with the location of the switches and pots, Most of the external controls are in similar locations to the 9X. It is quite pretty - if that flips your switch.

Internally, the general quality of the components is higher than the 9X and the wiring does not have Chinese factory rushed look about it - better quality control.

The internal antenna is the same as those fitted to Turnigy (and HobbyKing) proprietary receivers but without the heat shrink. I have never had an issue with an uncrashed Turnigy or HK RX so I do not expect issues with this antenna system should HK ever produce modules specifically for this TX.

I have fitted a number of Turnigy/JR Tx modules to the 9XR and they have all worked although the mechanical tolerances of the modules and the 9XR module compartment have caused some removal issues - they can get stuck! I have the Orange RX OpenLRS module fitted and it feels like I have superglued it in.

To summarise; despite the flashy external appearance, this is a definite improvement on the Turnigy 9X and should be purchased in preference to the 9X, unless of course you have a some form of geeky disorder and a pathological need to modify.

I have no doubt we will be hearing (reading) more about the HK 9XR in future.

At 50ish US dollars it is a steal.
Thanks for that. A breath of fresh air amongst all the whining.

But to continue the whine... I sure hope that HK brings out the 9XR specific modules soon, so that I can buy my system.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:44 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Here's a photo of the 9XR module for anyone viewing the thread attachments. It looks exactly like the orange module except for the color and antenna. I wonder what's taking them so long to release it.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:51 PM
Warbird Fanatic
United States, PA, Coraopolis
Joined Jun 2012
274 Posts
Chinese New Year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Here's a photo of the 9XR module for anyone viewing the thread attachments. It looks exactly like the orange module except for the color and antenna. I wonder what's taking them so long to release it.
I am hoping they were just waiting until the Chinese New Year Holiday was over before releasing the new 9XR Turnigy modules. Saves them a lot of shipping issues. So we'll see if we get the modules and faceplates released now. The international warehouse should be open for business again, I think as of today.
jchtr3a is offline Find More Posts by jchtr3a
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:20 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
Great, thanks helichoper. I figured that would probably be it, i tried changing them last night but was adding +'s and stuff everywhere and couldn't actually change the allocation. I will have to read up on the manual on how to change them.

Running stock firmware atm but have the programmer and figure it might be wise uploading open9X before i get too many models set up.
I've put some tutorial stuff in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820823
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:57 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
There will be many people, I predict, who will not be able, or wish to go to the trouble, of coping with the learning curve associated with the new firmware.
---
It already can be loaded, but the backlight won't work as it's firmware driven.
---
I recently got the 9XR and dug around in the stock er9x FW. But the Open9x seemed to suit me better, and does, but I have one problem; the backlight. With FW r1947 the display is lit when OFF and dark when ON, meaning if set to turn off after eg. 5 sec of inactivity it goes from dark to lit after 5sec.

I dont want it lit when flying, and of course it can be turned off (by turning it ON) manually by scrolling thru the setup screen 1, but is there any way to make it work as intended?
numnutchris is online now Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Font

I'm looking to make my own splash screen for the 9XR. Does anyone happen to know the font used in the 9XR logo?
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:58 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
I've put some tutorial stuff in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820823
I have to give mark a plug and proverbial pat on the back. He's put a lot of effort and I am positive helped alot of people. Good Job!

Thank you. We now resume our regularly schedule 9xR thread.
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:44 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
I'm looking to make my own splash screen for the 9XR. Does anyone happen to know the font used in the 9XR logo?
think there is a tutorial on the 9xforums, i remember seeing is somewhere.

here you go. http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=138
also i googled it and there are some videos of how to do it too, Hope that helps
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:27 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
Quick question. When watchingRichard Mrazek's ER9X video tutorials on Youtube he is able to use a dial to scroll through numbers in the software.

When I try this on my stock firmware 9XR none of the dials seems to have any control over the numbers in the software.

Do I need to update to a new ER9X version to get this feature?
rjmyklebust is offline Find More Posts by rjmyklebust