HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:44 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
I am not holding my breath for the 9XR. I have both Turnigy and Flysky 9x's flashed with ER9X and fitted with backlight and fet plus HK life battery. Flysky is with FrSky module.

What would I gain with the new Turnigy:

Built in programmer - already got one
Backlight- already got one
Software similar to ER9X- already got one
LCD screen on bottom, cross button on left, two on right- already got one
similar knob/switch layout ot 9x
DSM2 module

$50 retail price will not get you top grade pots, switches and other hardware. I have a strong doubt the new 9xr will not give you anything the 9x with $10 of parts and an hour of work does not.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:26 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,500 Posts
If you're already stocked up on modded 9Xs the 9XR simply isn't for you. It shouldn't be thought of as an upgrade, but as a replacement that will be easier to get to by newcomers (as no HW mods should be needed).

For upgrades, wait for frsky radios
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Oct 2008
39 Posts
Frsky doesn´t seem to make any progress either.

Lots of people get dissapointed and jump ship when companys announce products long before release date.
Pumpe is offline Find More Posts by Pumpe
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12 View Post
I am not holding my breath for the 9XR. I have both Turnigy and Flysky 9x's flashed with ER9X and fitted with backlight and fet plus HK life battery. Flysky is with FrSky module.

What would I gain with the new Turnigy:

Built in programmer - already got one
Backlight- already got one
Software similar to ER9X- already got one
LCD screen on bottom, cross button on left, two on right- already got one
similar knob/switch layout ot 9x
DSM2 module

$50 retail price will not get you top grade pots, switches and other hardware. I have a strong doubt the new 9xr will not give you anything the 9x with $10 of parts and an hour of work does not.
Yes, but when you have just accidentally ruined your old 9x (pluged the batt in the wrong way) you would be waiting on the 9xr too!

Dollar for dollar, the 9xr is cheaper as it will be similar price (maybe cheaper at under $50) and will already have all the mods, better pots (as stated on twitter) and a DSM2 module.

Darcy
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
Yes, but when you have just accidentally ruined your old 9x (pluged the batt in the wrong way) you would be waiting on the 9xr too!

Dollar for dollar, the 9xr is cheaper as it will be similar price (maybe cheaper at under $50) and will already have all the mods, better pots (as stated on twitter) and a DSM2 module.

Darcy
Check post #365
The rumors are that the 9xr should have dsmx and cheap 'hobby king' dsmx rx modules. I would pass if it was just dsm2.

This radio would be a great upgrade for current Spektrum dsxi5,6 and 7 owners. For 9x users it comes with many of the preferred modifications out of the box.
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX View Post
support? implementation of the protocol? If you are sold on DSMX and Spektrum you may pay more for the peace of mind. I know I wouldn't buy a 9XR and expect it to be rock solid out the gate considering they are implementing someone else's protocol. In time, yes but i would buy the radios for other reasons.

To me a 9XR is useless without FrSky. That is just my opinion. I am sure it will be no time before people get the DIY kits soldered into them.
A protocol is not hard to implemet! Why does everyone think that! If you can make a RX (Orange) that uses DSM why can't you make a TX? What goes in is equal to what goes out!

What you are saying is like saying 01000001 is equal to "a" in 8-bit binary but "a" is not equal to 01000001 ! A protocol is just like multiplication, you reverse the process (time by one over the factor it was multiplied by) to get the original back!

Sorry for getting nerdy but it was necessary to get my point across.

Hope this helped,
Darcy
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
Check post #365
The rumors are that the 9xr should have dsmx and cheap 'hobby king' dsmx rx modules. I would pass if it was just dsm2.

This radio would be a great upgrade for current Spektrum dsxi5,6 and 7 owners. For 9x users it comes with many of the preferred modifications out of the box.
Sorry, I don't really know the difference between DSM2 and DSMX but both are fine with me if they are compatible with my OrangeRX that I have kept from when my tech teacher convinced me to get the Spektrum 5i when I first started! Bad decision, too expensive!

But it is all I have since I broke my 9x and would prefer to have multiple models and more function back. The DSM? would just be an added bonus.

Darcy
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:38 AM
Brasil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Oct 2009
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
Check post #365

Im waiting for the cheap orange / hobbyking dsmx receivers. Imagine in the future telemetry modules by hobbyking
sdbruder is offline Find More Posts by sdbruder
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:53 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillzio View Post
I agree, no more off topic comments about freebees and stuff

Back to more serious matters, some features I would like to see on the 9XR:
Choice of LED screen backlight colour
Laser distance measuring with speed gun function
On screen atmospheric wind speed indication via live feed from meteorological satellite
Inbuild HD camera with 60X dynamic zoom that follows your model wherever it goes and saves to SD card
Self contained full FPV system with telemetry on heads-up-display
High resolution RADAR with audio notification of incoming threats
High pitched ultrasonic buzzer to repel dogs and children
Customisable skins for the transmitter case
A proximity activated audio alert with user-customisable message eg "don't bother me, i'm flying"
99.9% signal reliability, leaving 0.1% to explain for the instances where talented pilots like myself happen to crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham 65 View Post
Wot no fully automated toaster feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
What about the built-in Coffee Maker?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
If it cant fry bacon its not worth having.
Quote:
Originally Posted by npre View Post
All those things are available and included in the $50 shipped price tag along with four receivers, but if you ask me where I heard that I won't respond to you.
I just noticed that the latest feature list is missing quite a few features that was originally promised!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Quote:
I just noticed that the latest feature list is missing quite a few features that was originally promised!
Promised by who?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Promised by who?
I'm sorry if the joke went over your head.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:51 AM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Any news about ETA ?
I'm selling one of my spares 9X to get the 9XR when it's out.
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
Any news about ETA ?
I'm selling one of my spares 9X to get the 9XR when it's out.
Sorry the best I can say is its weeks not months away but if you ask at hobbykings twitter they may tell you a closer date. (They seem to be ignoring me though)

Darcy
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:35 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
A protocol is not hard to implemet! Why does everyone think that! If you can make a RX (Orange) that uses DSM why can't you make a TX? What goes in is equal to what goes out!

What you are saying is like saying 01000001 is equal to "a" in 8-bit binary but "a" is not equal to 01000001 !

A protocol is just like multiplication, you reverse the process (time by one over the factor it was multiplied by) to get the original back!
lol! i specially liked that last bit: "time by one over the factor it was multiplied by"

may i ask just how many of these protocols you have reverse engineered and developed? cross platform or native? toolset?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:43 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
lol! i specially liked that last bit: "time by one over the factor it was multiplied by"

may i ask just how many of these protocols you have reverse engineered and developed? cross platform or native? toolset?
Personally I haven't done any reverse engineering but good friends with someone who does that kind of thing as a hobby. This is basically how he explained how he did it.

If you count what I am currently doing in mathematical programming (like protocols but with 4 by 4 matrixes of unkowns) I do at uni as reverse engineering then 3 a week. And that just first year of aerospace engineering! I would hate to see a 4 year maths degree!

Also, just from observation, you can see nothing magical happen between the two antennas to make the output any different to the input.

Darcy
Last edited by molond; Sep 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Spellcheck