HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:10 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
The Orange module has a power output of 100mw versus the 200mw of the DX6i. 400m sounds normal since the R610 is not full range and is meant for parkflyers. With the DX6i you might have get 500 or 600 meters of range.
Power output really doesnt have much to do with it in this case. There are other factors that cause limited range with the DSM/2 protocols. Take for instance the FrSky transmitters are only 60mw and are easily capable of much further reliable range. The higher power output of the DSM/2 modules is just a bandaid for underlying problems in the front end and protocols. 400m is not normal for 100mw. It should be able to do 400m at 20mw, if it were a proper system.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Frsky is right up at the max legal power for Europe by the time you add a 2.2dBi antenna. Other factors affecting range are the reliability of the data transfer protocol, accuracy and efficiency of the frequency hopping, and the antenna gain at the receiver. It's all much to complex to just say brand X is 200mW so should be better than brand Y at 100mW (or 60mW).
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:46 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Frsky is right up at the max legal power for Europe by the time you add a 2.2dBi antenna. Other factors affecting range are the reliability of the data transfer protocol, accuracy and efficiency of the frequency hopping, and the antenna gain at the receiver. It's all much to complex to just say brand X is 200mW so should be better than brand Y at 100mW (or 60mW).
Thats my whole point!!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:02 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
It's all much to complex to just say brand X is 200mW so should be better than brand Y at 100mW (or 60mW).
They are both DSM2 though, the only difference should be the power output, right?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:58 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
They are both DSM2 though, the only difference should be the power output, right?
No. It's all about receiver design.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:08 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
No. It's all about receiver design.
Receivers are constant, AR610. I've lost range going from DX6i to 9xr+DSMX/2 Module. The most obvious culprit is going from 200mw to 100mw.

Would a higher gain antenna make much of a difference on the 9xr range? If so, any recommendations?
Krash n Burn is online now Find More Posts by Krash n Burn
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:08 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash n Burn View Post
Receivers are constant, AR610. I've lost range going from DX6i to 9xr+DSMX/2 Module. The most obvious culprit is going from 200mw to 100mw.
Which DSMX/2 module are we talking about? The OrangeRx or Spektrum?
The OrangeRX output RF stage may not be properly matched and so loosing power. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the supplied antenna is a bit cheap and has snotty performance too.

Quote:
Would a higher gain antenna make much of a difference on the 9xr range? If so, any recommendations?
Yes and no. It would increase range if you kept it in the area of the antenna that has the most gain. Like everything in this world, you don't get something for nothing. A high gain antenna doesn't generate extra power, it focuses the RF waves in a particular shape. So a high gain antenna has more limitations on being ensured that its pointing at a model.

Something else, I'm assuming your not pointing the module antenna at the model?

Plus you'll probably loose some (maybe a lot? it'd have to be measured) RF energy from how the 9XR module is mounted and the antenna is located behind the mass of metal (and ground plane), that is the transmitter.

Si.
SimonChambers is online now Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:12 PM
Warbird Fanatic
United States, PA, Coraopolis
Joined Jun 2012
275 Posts
I have an issue perhaps with the 9XR. When I have the Orange DSM2 module installed and turn on the TX, I get 3 short beeps, and then one very long beep. As I recall, I always got the 3 short beeps, but not the very long beep after. I cannot get it to bind, and am now concerned the TX is telling me there is some error.
The TX does not beep at all when I have a FlySky module installed, or when no module is installed.
What am I doing wrong, or what is causing this? TX is stock firmware.

I pushed the "change ID" button on the back. Turned it off, turned it back on---3 short beeps--No long beep. Got it to bind easily. I have no idea why this worked. But I'm happy it did.
jchtr3a is offline Find More Posts by jchtr3a
Last edited by jchtr3a; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Solution
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:19 PM
USA, MN, Redwood Falls
Joined May 2010
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
No, that's not how you fly a CP helicopter. The throttle/pitch control must have smooth friction, not ratchet action, and certainly not spring centering. Unlike the cyclical controls, there is no "neutral" in pitch. The starting point is zero pitch before takeoff and pitch in the air is typically 3 or 4 degrees.

Learn to fly a helicopter and you'll soon see why you don't want spring centering.

Note that this is totally different from the glider example, where the point is that the "throttle" stick is being used for flap action that the pilot can use in unison with elevator to get very small turning radius (as in control line stunt models). It needs to be spring centered because its no longer a throttle control.
I have and fly 5 heli's not 3d yet but my understanding is in 3d mode throttle/pitch stick center is 0 pitch. just wondering what heli's u have.
crashj is offline Find More Posts by crashj
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,775 Posts
I almost bought a nice dsm spektrum module case for the orangerx module that would not strain the connector. Only $10 on eBay but then I changed my mind at the last minute as I would not have to do this ad want my 9xr to fit in a case. Still waiting for the special modules. I think its perfectly OK that they are not ready yet. Its the lack of information and communication that is unacceptable.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I almost bought a nice dsm spektrum module case for the orangerx module that would not strain the connector. Only $10 on eBay but then I changed my mind at the last minute as I would not have to do this ad want my 9xr to fit in a case. Still waiting for the special modules. I think its perfectly OK that they are not ready yet. Its the lack of information and communication that is unacceptable.
Here's a guide to removing a transmitter module from a DX4e and installing it in a 9x for full DSMX compatibility:

http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/H...e_DSM_protocol
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:15 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:

I think the problem might be you flying in the antenna blind spot. If the antenna is vertical, it will be pointing directly at the receiver. Normally you can bend the antenna straight up when holding the transmitter, but on the 9XR it always has to be at an angle.

Try turning the transmitter antenna horizontally and hopefully it will solve the problem.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:57 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Received my 9XR today. First impressions are good. I have 2 9X's so i naturally compared the feel of the radio to them and i like the way it feels. The gimbles feel smooth, the buttons feel fine (not sure why everyone is so hung up about them not clicking???) and the DR switches and trim buttons seem more naturally placed (easier to find them blind). The Menu and exit buttons dont seem to stick either.

Only problem i found so far was the double sided tape holding the screen on had let go so the screen was floating around in the bag. It wasn't damaged so it was just a case of sticking it back in place and applying some firm pressure so the DS tape would grab.

Wont get to power it up until tonight so final judgement reserved until then
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:06 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchtr3a View Post
I have an issue perhaps with the 9XR. When I have the Orange DSM2 module installed and turn on the TX, I get 3 short beeps, and then one very long beep. As I recall, I always got the 3 short beeps, but not the very long beep after. I cannot get it to bind, and am now concerned the TX is telling me there is some error.
The TX does not beep at all when I have a FlySky module installed, or when no module is installed.
What am I doing wrong, or what is causing this? TX is stock firmware.

I pushed the "change ID" button on the back. Turned it off, turned it back on---3 short beeps--No long beep. Got it to bind easily. I have no idea why this worked. But I'm happy it did.
It works now because you changed it back to regular DSM2. There are four modes, as explained in the instructions: regular and high resolution DSM2 and regular and high res. DSMX. When you bind (and I don't mean just link) a receiver, it tells the module which mode it needs. The module stays in this mode until changed, either by binding a different type of receiver or by pushing the button on the module.

The mode is signaled by the beeps after the first three: none, 1, 2 or 3.

Everything is very simple if you use just regular low res (1024) DSM2 receivers, such as the AR6100, AR6200 or Orange 610. Or if you use only regular DSMX receivers. It's when you switch types that you have to use the button to change the mode to match the receiver.

This issue doesn't arise with a Spektrum programmable transmitter because the type of receiver associated with each model memory is stored when the receiver is bound. But this can't be done with a module (which is why the Spektrum module works only in DSM2 mode).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:15 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
The Spektrum module doesn't fit properly into the 9XR anyway, as the antenna tower hits the 9XR case. You might be able to grind away enough to make it work. The module does fit nicely into a 9x.

By the way, that e-bay price is only $1 less than the Horizon Hobby price.