HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:20 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,640 Posts
My MQX quad I also had to reverse 2 channels on the 9XR whereas same model on my DX6i it worked as BNF without any reversing. At least with a plank you can get the controls going the right way in ground setup. The quad needed gentle low hover checking.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:21 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
HI,
Has anyone modified their 9XR radio with a 6 position switch to set Ardupilot (APM 2.5) flight modes? I sure would like to see some photos of your installation.
Same solution used for 9X can be applied to 9XR.
Replace one of the pots with a rotary switch and 7 resistors, value around 700 ohms each.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:00 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
The 610's are well known as short range parkflyer rx's, even with the added satelite to the port. What do you expect for the price? By the way the LemonRx seem to have good reviews, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773138
I was expecting similar results to the DX6i + R610. I've always been a fan of this combo and been able to fly at the edge of visibility with this combo and never had the issues I've had with 9xr. Unforutnately that's not the case though with 9xr + DSM2 Module + R610.

Since I've had the 9XR I've had 4 reliable airframes drop link, one 3x in under 2min, none of which had any issues in he year leading up to the DX6i to 9xr switch. I've been trying to troubleshoot what happened, I suspect the gimbals were loose for most, but now I am wondering if I was on the edge of range.

Since all of my planes are setup with this combo, it makes me very nervous to fly most of my planes, because I know I fly atleast 80% of that range regularly... Just makes me uncomfortable, knowing I am walking he edge of the range.

I will have to wait for some results from the new full range rx's, but right now I am considering keeping most on DX6i, Frsky is looking better and better, and 9XR keeps looking less and less like a diamond in the rough that I thought it would be.

I know it sounds like a lot of whining, but if I can save some people having to bring home planes in a box of parts like I've been lately, hey. I know that alot of people are making the DX6i to 9xr jump, expecting the same performance like me, but they should be aware of their diminished range and whatever you do, glue the gimbals before flying.... Trust me!
Krash n Burn is online now Find More Posts by Krash n Burn
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:14 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,640 Posts
Maybe the issue is with your RF module and not the TX? Im using the OrangeRx but fly all at short range so far, small slopes or quad in backyard. Really want Turnigy DSM2 RF module though!
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:00 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Maybe the issue is with your RF module and not the TX
Agree, I can't see how the module's range would be affected by which transmitter it's fitted to, unless possible the antenna ends up in a silly place. If the Orange module is below par, not totally surprising at the price, then a genuine Spektrum module would be the way to go.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Oct 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash n Burn View Post
I was expecting similar results to the DX6i + R610. I've always been a fan of this combo and been able to fly at the edge of visibility with this combo and never had the issues I've had with 9xr. Unforutnately that's not the case though with 9xr + DSM2 Module + R610.

Since I've had the 9XR I've had 4 reliable airframes drop link, one 3x in under 2min, none of which had any issues in he year leading up to the DX6i to 9xr switch. I've been trying to troubleshoot what happened, I suspect the gimbals were loose for most, but now I am wondering if I was on the edge of range.

Since all of my planes are setup with this combo, it makes me very nervous to fly most of my planes, because I know I fly atleast 80% of that range regularly... Just makes me uncomfortable, knowing I am walking he edge of the range.

I will have to wait for some results from the new full range rx's, but right now I am considering keeping most on DX6i, Frsky is looking better and better, and 9XR keeps looking less and less like a diamond in the rough that I thought it would be.

I know it sounds like a lot of whining, but if I can save some people having to bring home planes in a box of parts like I've been lately, hey. I know that alot of people are making the DX6i to 9xr jump, expecting the same performance like me, but they should be aware of their diminished range and whatever you do, glue the gimbals before flying.... Trust me!
I think what you experiencing is the shortfall of spektrum frequency hopping or the lack of it. I've flown in the same place using same equipment (DX8 and AR6200 dsm2) and have had no issue on most days but on two different occasion I kept on loosing connection to my plane. Lucky it was high enough for it to reconnect and I was able to land safely. I later got DSMX rx and never had any issues what so ever. I now use 9XR and FrSky combination which is a bit easier on my pocket as my fleet gets bigger.
dinislam1395 is offline Find More Posts by dinislam1395
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:02 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,198 Posts
Aeajr,

I expect you know this already. For anyone who hasn't heard of it yet, by 4 axis I mean flying an aerobatic glider with the throttle converted to spring-centred and driving the flaperons up and down. This is normally used for ultrabatics , which is a new name for low, slow, in-your-face aerobatics with gliders like Le Fish or the Flow.

I had my question answered in the slope forum. RC Tanks Australia is selling the extra arm and hardware to mount it, to convert the throttle to spring-centred. All you need extra is a spring out of any transmitter. This info courtesy of Surfimp.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:12 PM
Auxerre - France
France, Bourgogne, Auxerre
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
Hi e guys
I just got my 9xr and I really happy about it !

can someone help me because it seams that I have only 6 chanel working .

thank
toubab is offline Find More Posts by toubab
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:45 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toubab View Post
Hi e guys
I just got my 9xr and I really happy about it !

can someone help me because it seams that I have only 6 chanel working .

thank
You'll have to go into the mixer and program those channels to do something. The stock templates have 6 channels pre-programmed at most.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:11 PM
USA, MN, Redwood Falls
Joined May 2010
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboyken View Post
Aeajr,

I expect you know this already. For anyone who hasn't heard of it yet, by 4 axis I mean flying an aerobatic glider with the throttle converted to spring-centred and driving the flaperons up and down. This is normally used for ultrabatics , which is a new name for low, slow, in-your-face aerobatics with gliders like Le Fish or the Flow.

I had my question answered in the slope forum. RC Tanks Australia is selling the extra arm and hardware to mount it, to convert the throttle to spring-centred. All you need extra is a spring out of any transmitter. This info courtesy of Surfimp.
this brings up something a was wondering. would it be cool to spring center a radio for cp heli.new to cp never even hit throttle up yet but seems spring center throttle would be neet. even a switch that could switch between no spring and spring
crashj is offline Find More Posts by crashj
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:41 AM
Auxerre - France
France, Bourgogne, Auxerre
Joined Dec 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
You'll have to go into the mixer and program those channels to do something. The stock templates have 6 channels pre-programmed at most.
thank you ! this is my first turningy radio !
toubab is offline Find More Posts by toubab
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:28 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashj View Post
this brings up something a was wondering. would it be cool to spring center a radio for cp heli.new to cp never even hit throttle up yet but seems spring center throttle would be neet. even a switch that could switch between no spring and spring
No, that's not how you fly a CP helicopter. The throttle/pitch control must have smooth friction, not ratchet action, and certainly not spring centering. Unlike the cyclical controls, there is no "neutral" in pitch. The starting point is zero pitch before takeoff and pitch in the air is typically 3 or 4 degrees.

Learn to fly a helicopter and you'll soon see why you don't want spring centering.

Note that this is totally different from the glider example, where the point is that the "throttle" stick is being used for flap action that the pilot can use in unison with elevator to get very small turning radius (as in control line stunt models). It needs to be spring centered because its no longer a throttle control.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:31 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
No, that's not how you fly a CP helicopter. The throttle/pitch control must have smooth friction, not ratchet action, and certainly not spring centering. Unlike the cyclical controls, there is no "neutral" in pitch. The starting point is zero pitch before takeoff and pitch in the air is typically 3 or 4 degrees.

Learn to fly a helicopter and you'll soon see why you don't want spring centering.
I think he means 3D heli flying, where there is both positive and negative pitch.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:10 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
441 Posts
I have a 9XR with the Orange OpenLRS module on its way.. and have been pondering the antenna mount on the module on the back of the 9XR... which is far from perfect

The SMA socket on the TX module appears to be fitted with a Pigtail.. so I am trying to figure out if I could fit a longer pigtail an mount the socket on the 9XR next to the trainer ports... and fit Diamond UHF antenna on top ..

This would give the longer UHF antenna a better mounting point..

Has anyone done anything similar.. and if so any pics / advice they could share ?
Jumpy07 is online now Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:10 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
I think he means 3D heli flying, where there is both positive and negative pitch.
Spring loaded still doesn't make sense, since the heli won't fly at zero pitch.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66