HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:42 PM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Binding 9XR w/ FrSKY DJT mod, to FrSky V8 2.4GHz

I am having issues binding FRSKY Rx and Tx. FrSKY manual says I have to put 9XR into "ppm" mode. Don't see in manual how to get radio into ppm mode.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can get the FrSky module to go steady green, but no luck with the FrSky V8. I get two quick green flashes...then blinking read.

Help...svp!

Thanks
Fastmetal is offline Find More Posts by Fastmetal
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:57 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
In the transmitter settup menu there is an option to choose PPM/PCM. I use Open9x, but it is near the bottom of the first settup page.

Are you pushing the button in on the RX while powering it on?
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:01 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
OK, I give, how do you fly in 4 axis?

There is X, Y and Z axis and then there is time.

Are you flying forward and backward in time?

Hummm, flying the TARTUS remotely with a Turnigy 9XR. Must be Dr. Who.
In this context the 4th axis is reversible pitch, AKA VPP.

FWIW, a model actually has 6 degrees of freedom, the three orthogonal axis and 3 rotational ones.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:16 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
In the transmitter settup menu there is an option to choose PPM/PCM. I use Open9x, but it is near the bottom of the first settup page.

Actually, on the 9XR there is no PCM option. On the Model Setup Menu the Proto (i.e., Protocol) defaults to PPM, so you don't have to do anything.

The choices are:
PPM (what you want)
PXX (the new protocol coming from FrSky)
DSM2 (to be used only if you have removed the module from a Spektrum transmitter and installed it internally in the 9XR)
PPM16 (a special protocol to allow 16 channels)
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:33 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Binding FrSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmetal View Post
I am having issues binding FRSKY Rx and Tx. FrSKY manual says I have to put 9XR into "ppm" mode. Don't see in manual how to get radio into ppm mode.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can get the FrSky module to go steady green, but no luck with the FrSky V8. I get two quick green flashes...then blinking read.

Help...svp!

Thanks
Press and hold the button on the module while turning on. Release and you should see a flashing red light, no green, indicating bind mode. Let it sit there flashing while you attend to the receiver.

Hold down the tiny button switch on the receiver (I use a straightened paperclip) and apply power. Release the button and the receiver should be flashing. Turn it off. (Note that it takes two people to do this if you are using the ESC as the receiver power supply. I always use a 4-cell NiMH battery pack with switch and I can do it my self quite comfortably.)

Turn off the transmitter to get out of bind mode. Turn it back on, then turn on the receiver. You should get a solid light, indicating successful link.

That's it. You should never have to bind the receiver again (unless you get a new module). Ignore all the advice about Spektrum receiver binding, as almost none of it applies to FrSky.

To set failsafe, it's very important to go through a simple process. Turn on the transmitter and put the controls into appropriate positions. For me, this means low throttle and about 15% up elevator. The latter is mainly to give me a visual indication that failsafe occurred. With the transmitter controls set, turn on the receiver and press the button switch briefly. It should flash to acknowledge that it has accepted the failsafe settings. Turn everything off.

I always test failsafe by turning off the transmitter, but I do it carefully, just in case it didn't work and the motor goes to high!

I should say, that in 2 1/2 years with FrSky, I have never lost signal, never seen failsafe except in tests, and never had a problem binding or subsequently linking. That's the way it should be.

EDIT: You have a V8 (one-way) receiver. Make sure the switches on the module are set correctly: 1 OFF, 2 ON.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
(Note that it takes two people to do this if you are using the ESC as the receiver power supply. I always use a 4-cell NiMH battery pack with switch and I can do it my self quite comfortably.)
I was able to do it by myself using the ESC to power it. Wasn't easy, so I made a wire tool with a finger loop for the next time.

I guess I got confused about the PPM setting with the 9x factory firmware. Thanks for the info. I am new to this.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:09 PM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post

Yes. I am using the head of a fountain pen, as the button is recessed in a small hole. I can get a steady green light in the Tx, but the best the Rx does is two quick green flashes followed by flashing red.

I did find the PPM mode in the setup page and it is set properly.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:23 PM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
Give Daedalus66 a Gold Star!

Thanks,
Your advice did the trick. This forum is worth its weight in gold!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmetal View Post
Yes. I am using the head of a fountain pen, as the button is recessed in a small hole. I can get a steady green light in the Tx, but the best the Rx does is two quick green flashes followed by flashing red.

I did find the PPM mode in the setup page and it is set properly.

Thanks for the suggestions.
It took me a couple tries, and I also had the trainer mode turned on(which complicated things also).

Here are the instructions I'm using:
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:25 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
After multiple times losing control of my plane I took some of your guys advice and glued the gimbals connection. I flew approx 40min today with no control loss, but I did try to fly it out of range since I was flying a basher that has already taken a beating. I got approx a quarter mile before I lost my bind. Does that range sound right for a 9xr (ER9x) + Orange DSM2 Module + Orange R610 Rx? I could swear I got better range with my Dx6i, but wasn't able to test, because the basher needed some repair before it's airworthy again.
Krash n Burn is online now Find More Posts by Krash n Burn
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Fastmetal-This is a great forum ain't it.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash n Burn View Post
After multiple times losing control of my plane I took some of your guys advice and glued the gimbals connection. I flew approx 40min today with no control loss, but I did try to fly it out of range since I was flying a basher that has already taken a beating. I got approx a quarter mile before I lost my bind. Does that range sound right for a 9xr (ER9x) + Orange DSM2 Module + Orange R610 Rx? I could swear I got better range with my Dx6i, but wasn't able to test, because the basher needed some repair before it's airworthy again.
No idea about the range question, but you did not lose bind, you lost connection.
Bind is done when you teach the receiver the identity of your transmitter. Pretty much a one time thing.
Connection happens every time the receiver finds that transmitter.

A common mistake confusing the two, which leads to further confusion when trouble shooting.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:35 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Actually, on the 9XR there is no PCM option. On the Model Setup Menu the Proto (i.e., Protocol) defaults to PPM, so you don't have to do anything.

The choices are:
PPM (what you want)
PXX (the new protocol coming from FrSky)
DSM2 (to be used only if you have removed the module from a Spektrum transmitter and installed it internally in the 9XR)
PPM16 (a special protocol to allow 16 channels)
I set my Open9X to DSM2 and run the OrangeRx external module. Is that correct?
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
I set my Open9X to DSM2 and run the OrangeRx external module. Is that correct?
No.

PPM for the Orange module.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:59 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash n Burn View Post
The Orange module has a power output of 100mw versus the 200mw of the DX6i. 400m sounds normal since the R610 is not full range and is meant for parkflyers. With the DX6i you might have get 500 or 600 meters of range.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby