to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:56 PM
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2013
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmetal View Post
Have read where others have had a similar issue. Just got my 9XR in with a FrSKY DJT RF Module.I can't get the darn module to plug in and I am afraid to force the module in. I am including some picks and hopefully someone can help. I am reluctant to bend pins as I am not sure which of the 5 pins are not connecting.

Thanks,
Fastmetal
It took me about an hour to get mine in. Whoever designed this needs to be kicked where it hurts the most.
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:04 PM
Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
476 Posts
Wow, there must be some serious variation in the manufacture process. My DJT fitted like a glove, first attempt.
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:17 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barok View Post
yes it does work.. see post # 4540..
I'm might work but not for fat shark head tracking
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:25 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihinch View Post
Wow, there must be some serious variation in the manufacture process. My DJT fitted like a glove, first attempt.
tbh the skills to fit a module differ from person to person. no disrespect to the guys that have some troubles but to be honest I don't see the problem alligning 5 pins... the only perhaps"issue" was some excess plastic at the end of the two locking clips for the module, but this can be easily cleaned with a hobby knife...

sometimes I wonder how many 9xr owners have actually made an rc scratch build...
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:26 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
It took me about an hour to get mine in. Whoever designed this needs to be kicked where it hurts the most.
Folks,

Be aware that Frsky is bringing out a new JR module and a line of receivers with three times the range.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10031

http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowNews.asp?id=91

Naturally, I just upgraded all my equipment..... If you haven't ordered your module, you may want to wait.

Details are a bit sketchy, but we should hear more after Chinese New Year.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:27 PM
Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
tbh the skills to fit a module differ from person to person. no disrespect to the guys that have some troubles but to be honest I don't see the problem alligning 5 pins... the only perhaps"issue" was some excess plastic at the end of the two locking clips for the module, but this can be easily cleaned with a hobby knife...

sometimes I wonder how many 9xr owners have actually made an rc scratch build...
That's a bit harsh. When I say "mine fit like a glove" I mean I had to do no trimming of plastic, no bending of pins, and no realigning of anything.

I think it sounds like variation rather than skill.

Just my opinion.
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post

What a knob
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
well if its any consolation I can't program amtel cpu's and I'm useless in soldering, which for most of the youngsters these days seem natural...
its just a "tongue on the cheek" comment, don't take it personally

just remember before you complain..
9x costs $50 + post + usbasp +soldering skills to get the most of it
9xr costs $50 + post + usbasp to get the most of it
both might require some minor tlc.. and fitting an additional 3 point switch
for both you need a module an rx, lets say $50
if you want onboard telemetry you can with some soldering

spektrum dx8 ~$300 etc

hmmm....
Last edited by ckleanth; Feb 09, 2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:46 PM
United States, MO
Joined Dec 2012
149 Posts
FrSKY mod fitting 9XR

"no disrespect to the guys that have some troubles but to be honest I don't see the problem alligning 5 pins"

When you buy a pair of shoes and wait 4 weeks for them to arrive, you don't expect to have to stretch the leather to make them fit.

It is not the norm to have to jerryrig electronics to make them fit, either. At the very least, I could have damaged my new XR by bending the pins to the breaking point and voiding any possibility of a return.

I am reluctant to even suggest bending pins, which could motivate someone else to end up damaging their gear.
Fastmetal is offline Find More Posts by Fastmetal
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
What a knob
relax mate... guess who doesent have a sense of humor now...

Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:54 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,884 Posts
Quote:
same here.
but same module, when trying on the 9x, it was very hard to fit, and didn't go all the way.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Last edited by nebstress; Feb 09, 2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmetal View Post
"no disrespect to the guys that have some troubles but to be honest I don't see the problem alligning 5 pins"

When you buy a pair of shoes and wait 4 weeks for them to arrive, you don't expect to have to stretch the leather to make them fit.

It is not the norm to have to jerryrig electronics to make them fit, either. At the very least, I could have damaged my new XR by bending the pins to the breaking point and voiding any possibility of a return.

I am reluctant to even suggest bending pins, which could motivate someone else to end up damaging their gear.
these pins are 35-40 mm long and is very easy to have some missallignment. even if you bend them 2mm on the top it would take thousand of cycles to break the pins by fatigue on the base.
2 ways to fix missallignment is a) slowly using your module try and see where the need to be bend or b) open the thing up, unscrew the base with the pins and use your module as a template to allign them pins. since you have it opened also put some hot gun glue to the grimball wire connectors on the main board pcb.
there job done
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Oct 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
My module fitted first time with no problem but when I took the case apart and refitted it would not plug in again. I just reopened and refitted and it was fine again so probably best try that before bending the pins as it might just be aligned incorrectly when assembled.
dinislam1395 is offline Find More Posts by dinislam1395