SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:10 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Could be worse, could be BRIGHT ORANGE!!!! What were they thinking? It should have been black with a nice Orange label on the front so others can see it's from Orange Rx. Those things are not going to sell well.
I kind of like the color of the orange rx products, having everything be black or gray would get very boring.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:16 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
I second that. It was quite the surprise My th9x was a pain.
Weird, my frsky module fit perfectly in the original 9x but was impossible to put in the 9XR. I would have had to bend the pins to a significant angle for them to go into the holes. They guy I sold the 9XR to said his orange module went right in without any problems.

Unfortunately I don't have either 9x anymore to test an orange module, but with me being clumsy I'll need a backup radio sometime.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:32 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashj View Post
Dont now alot about all the defferent 2.4 so can anyone tell me what frsky is.and what it flys. I have some blade stuff and know the dsm stuff but thats about it.
FrSky is known for telemetry and have great long range characteristics. You can get an Orange module to fly DSMX and DSM2 planes/helis, but I don't believe it is backwards compatible with the original DSM. For that you would have to do the DSM mod: http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/H...e_DSM_protocol
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:36 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashj View Post
Dont now alot about all the defferent 2.4 so can anyone tell me what frsky is.and what it flys. I have some blade stuff and know the dsm stuff but thats about it.
Frsky is frequency hopping, while DSM2 chooses two parts of the 2.4ghz spectrum and will use the stronger signal if one part is blocked. At least that's how I think they work, I might be wrong. For most of time, you won't notice a difference between frsky and dsm2 unless you have more than 70 or 80 people flying at the same time.

Only DSM2 modules such as the orangerx will bind to horizon hobby BNF models which is probably important for you.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:54 PM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
My frsky module fit perfectly in my 9xr, no pin bending required
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:57 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Not only did I have to bend pin in mine, but the larger antenna I use is going to require some dremel work to the back of the case. Oh well have ezuhf on the way too.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2011
19 Posts
Okay here's my Frankenstein 9XR. I fly hand launch gliders so the mods I have done are, cutting the handle with a Dremel tool and fitting a FrSKY DHT-U module. I glued it in with plastic epoxy. I moved the three-way toggle switch to the left side of the transmitter and installed a momentary switch in place of the rudder switch. I'm using Open9x firmware and Companion9x. I find that Companion9x works great for setting up the mixes on the computer, like snap flaps, flaperons and ailerons to rudder, and then downloading it to the transmitter.
Donw77 is offline Find More Posts by Donw77
Last edited by Donw77; Feb 07, 2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: add pic
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Ok worked it out. I needed to mix to switch !THR instead of THR and this seems to reverse the switch sense. Open9X manual doesnt seem to explain this but the 2 pos switches now have an exclamation mark option too!

So Im happy as got throttle hold the same as on my DX6i now
Can you give more detail on how you got Throttle Hold to work on the er9x? I have not been able to get it to work yet. I am used to having it setup on my JR 9503 and all my helis. I basically want to be able to hit the switch and have the throttle ch output go to zero or -5 regardless of the current THR stick position. I tried applying the template, but it did nothing.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:26 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
FrSky is known for telemetry and have great long range characteristics. You can get an Orange module to fly DSMX and DSM2 planes/helis, but I don't believe it is backwards compatible with the original DSM. For that you would have to do the DSM mod: http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/H...e_DSM_protocol
This is mixing up two things. DSM was the name of the original Spektrum protocol, used only in the DX6 with the AR6000 receiver in 2006. The DX7 introduced DSM2 in 2007. DSMX, a frequency hopping system came along about three years ago.

The original DSM is long obsolete and essentially irrelevant. None of the current DSMX radios is compatible with it.

In the past year or so the term "DSM" has come to be used to describe DSM2/DSMX generically. It's in this new sense that DSM is used in relation to modifying the 9x with a module from the DX4e that works on both DSM2 and DSMX.

FrSky is not compatible with any flavor of DSM.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:49 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I'm not sure if erx has the "custom functions", but I just added the safetyswitch there and chose THR -100 and checked the box. This works just like the old 9x original firmware. At least that's all I did but I use open9x on my 9x. Well I hope it at least gives you an idea. Unless I have this wrong, please feel free to jump in and correct me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Can you give more detail on how you got Throttle Hold to work on the er9x? I have not been able to get it to work yet. I am used to having it setup on my JR 9503 and all my helis. I basically want to be able to hit the switch and have the throttle ch output go to zero or -5 regardless of the current THR stick position. I tried applying the template, but it did nothing.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:20 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurl777 View Post
Hi,

my 9xr is still on the way from HK to me. But i made little thougs about the Chrome.. i dont like Plactic Chrome, it looks bad, cheap and

So i take Photoshop and 5min of time.. i think this is where i wanna go.
Try it with Rit Dye if possible (not all chrome parts work) or then remove chrome and repaint.
RIT will not dye ANY chrome parts. It will not dye ANY metals, actually no dye will, not just RIT.

The chrome on this is actually vapor deposited aluminum, which sort of looks like chrome. To "dye" aluminum, it has to be anodized, in which you would not be dying the aluminum itself anyway, just a layer of heavy oxidation grown during the anodizing process.

You are going to have to paint it if you want it black. The "chrome" can be stripped. Do not use a paint stripper to try to remove the chrome, you will melt the plastic. You are going to need a sodium hydroxide solution to strip the "chrome".
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
RIT will not dye ANY chrome parts. It will not dye ANY metals, actually no dye will, not just RIT.

The chrome on this is actually vapor deposited aluminum, which sort of looks like chrome. To "dye" aluminum, it has to be anodized, in which you would not be dying the aluminum itself anyway, just a layer of heavy oxidation grown during the anodizing process.

You are going to have to paint it if you want it black. The "chrome" can be stripped. Do not use a paint stripper to try to remove the chrome, you will melt the plastic. You are going to need a sodium hydroxide solution to strip the "chrome".
Hi KKUSA,
On some rpm chrome parts rit works. But i thougt also that in thus case i need to strip the chrome. I will have a look on arrival. Let it be or use bleach

Thanks for reply!
ripcurl777 is offline Find More Posts by ripcurl777
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:34 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,502 Posts
Quote:
Just go to templates and apply the 02 T-Cut template. You will see that it adds a mix line after the THR line:

R-100% HALF THR

I just verified that it works.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:42 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,756 Posts
Quote:
The number you want for throttle hold is more like -100. Mid stick is represented by 0, full power 100.
All the outputs in er9X are like this rather than the usuall 0 to 100 many heli radios use (which actually obscures what is really going on )

Add a mix like

R -100% HALF Switch (THR)

to your throttle channel. It must be the last mix and of the "replace" type as noted by the R rather than the regular "add" type noted by the plus sign. To adjust the actual position change the percent. Zero would map to -100% and minus 5 to about -90%

Short explanation:
Mixes are processed in the order they appear.
A "replace" one, if active based on the switch, replaces everything that has appeared before it.
You could have multiple replace mixes on one channel and the last once active will be the one that counts.
(You could also have "Add" mixes after a replace and they would also factor into the final result.)
I used HALF above, but FULL would do the same thing because it is a replace mix.

As always, experimenting a bit in eePe to better understand how this works really helps in using er9x.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Last edited by pmackenzie; Feb 07, 2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:03 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurl777 View Post
Hi KKUSA,
On some rpm chrome parts rit works. But i thougt also that in thus case i need to strip the chrome. I will have a look on arrival. Let it be or use bleach

Thanks for reply!
Thats because it is dying the underlying nylon due to a rather porous plating. The plastic used on the 9XR faceplate cannot be dyed without special solvents that open up the surface to allow penetration. Acetone or naphtha can be used on SOME plastics as the carrier for the dye, but must be a weak solution to prevent attacking the plastic too much.

Your safer just painting it rather than ruining your part.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA