HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:38 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Thanks...maybe once I get used to the firmware I'll play with that. I'm just checking open9x on the computer and they got an update on it too so hopefully I can get a heli set up on it later on. Still learning the software. Maybe I can use those for the lights...not sure or just assign a switch I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Flight phases are another term for flight modes. You can set up the radio so that a whole bunch of things change with the flip of one switch.

An example would be in sailplanes where you want different throws depending on if you are launching, cruising, thermalling or landing. With the flaps down in landing mode/phase you might want ailerons mixed into rudder and/or extra aileron differential.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Can someone explain what flight phases are? I read the manual but that still doesn't explain what these do or are these to be used with airplanes which I don't have? I'm just curious as to what these settings are for or how they are used. Thanks.
One of the good thing about flight phases is how I used it is for landing.

When I put full flaps down for landing, my expo and rates changes, and if the plane balloons up from the flaps I can trim it to fly level and when I put the flaps back up the trim goes back to how it was before. All from the flip of a switch.

That feature alone takes the guess work out of mixing in elevator when you put the flaps down. Now you dont have to fly and then land and try to guess how much elevator to mix it with the flaps
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:53 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
That sounds very cool. One day I'll learn to fly airplanes. I'm still working on getting my helicopters dialed in from all the broken parts or parts that just refuse to last. It's always something with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMention View Post
One of the good thing about flight phases is how I used it is for landing.

When I put full flaps down for landing, my expo and rates changes, and if the plane balloons up from the flaps I can trim it to fly level and when I put the flaps back up the trim goes back to how it was before. All from the flip of a switch.

That feature alone takes the guess work out of mixing in elevator when you put the flaps down. Now you dont have to fly and then land and try to guess how much elevator to mix it with the flaps
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:05 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,538 Posts
FWIW, er9x has 3 flight mode trim sets possible.
Not quite as sophisticated as the multiple flight phases in Open9X, but quite useable.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:12 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Can someone explain what flight phases are? I read the manual but that still doesn't explain what these do or are these to be used with airplanes which I don't have? I'm just curious as to what these settings are for or how they are used. Thanks.
Flight modes/phases are particularly important for CP helicopters, where you typically have at least two modes: Normal (that has only minimal negative pitch and a throttle curve that starts at zero) and Stunt (full negative pitch and throttle curve that maintains full power for all throttle stick positions) to allow inverted flight.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:30 PM
Chuck
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Jul 2004
14 Posts
Trying to setup a 9xr to fly my dlg. I have one wing servo into aileron and the other wing servo into gear. I was able to fiddle with the mixes some how and get the mix to get the ailerons working. I have no idea how I did it, but it works.

I'm not having the same success getting a mix created to make both ailerons work as flaps via a switch. Either the gear switch or aux2 potentiometer, aux 2 would be better because I could change the amount of flaps. With the mix active I still want the aileron stick to actuate the ailerons as well.
pchuckie is offline Find More Posts by pchuckie
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:09 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Okay thanks. Now I have another question and I hope I can ask this without confusing anyone. Is there a particular order to read the cyc1,2,3? I'm just testing the heli templates wizard and I used the picture to help me. I also like to use the same servo numbering that bob white did on his heli setup videos. I believe it's futaba, AETR to keep things simple for me. Meaning if you're behind the heli, servo one is the front right, 6 is the front left and 2 is the elevator. I think I got this right. When I look at the mixes, channel 1 is cyc2, channel 2 is cyc1, etc. These don't match and I know you can pretty much configure whichever you want, so for now I'll just ignore the cyc number as long as I get the correct servo moving. I thought they would normally match for example and not worry about the number. Well at least I try to keep things simpler as not to confuse myself too much. I guess I'm wondering if anyone even uses the cyc numbers to figure out the channels. I was wondering if I should start counting cw or ccw, but where would 1 start, but since anything is assignable it wouldn't matter I guess, but I was just curious and confused by it so I thought I ask about which one to count from if this were the case. Forgive me if this confuses anyone, I'm just looking at the mixes and just thinking about what each setting is doing or how and why they're are being assigned the way they are. I should note the wizard only shows the colors and not actual cyc numbers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:21 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
pchuckie

Here are some templates I found some time ago (I think it was on 9X Forums) which may help. They are not my work, so all credit to the original author. PDF for descriptions, eepe files for the mixes, so you will have to download and install Eepe to view and simulate the mixes.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:31 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Thanks, I'll take a look. Yes I'm checking out the simulator on the companion9x as it's based on er9x. I think there are a few minor differences, but I could be wrong as I really haven't used either much. I just loaded a new set of the heli templates in companion9x too. I checked a few more items on the preferences to see what they had which I forgot to do the first time around. So I'm still trying things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
pchuckie

Here are some templates I found some time ago (I think it was on 9X Forums) which may help. They are not my work, so all credit to the original author. PDF for descriptions, eepe files for the mixes, so you will have to download and install Eepe to view and simulate the mixes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:08 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Flight modes/phases are particularly important for CP helicopters, where you typically have at least two modes: Normal (that has only minimal negative pitch and a throttle curve that starts at zero) and Stunt (full negative pitch and throttle curve that maintains full power for all throttle stick positions) to allow inverted flight.
This true, but very little else is usually changed besides the pitch and throttle curves, and you can do all this in er9X that does not really have "flight phases".

The flight phases in Open 9X give you a way of collecting a lot of things under one named phase. This name is displayed on the screen when the flight mode is activated. You can define which combination of switches enable the flight mode.
There are separate trims for every condition if you want, and delays transitioning from one condition to the next can be done.

This brings Open9x more in line with other high end radios in how flight modes/phases are handled. You can do most of this (with the exception of the names on the screen) with er9x, but not quite as elegantly.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:26 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
869 Posts
DLG setup

"Trying to setup a 9xr to fly my dlg"

Attached as a real zipped file.
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:53 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
550 Posts
Hi guys;
I realize I am probably going to cop some flak for the following, However after a number of attempts at trying to set the 9xr up, I will say that I think that while this appears to be a great radio, but trying to set this up is a bloody atrcious. I feel that there is no true step by step manual, no explanations of the possible results. At the moment I am trying to set up to fly my t-rex 500, with the dx-7 no prob futaba 9cap no prob, the xr, crap. The throttle will not close totally, and the throtte screen is blinking in and out, if I change to another model, the screen is solid, but throttle not operating, obviously it is something I am doing not the radios fault, it is something I have done,, but nowhere can you just read a manual to see why or how to fix it, no manual, you know the one that is clear, that comes with name brand radios.
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:00 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
This true, but very little else is usually changed besides the pitch and throttle curves, and you can do all this in er9X that does not really have "flight phases".

The flight phases in Open 9X give you a way of collecting a lot of things under one named phase. This name is displayed on the screen when the flight mode is activated. You can define which combination of switches enable the flight mode.
There are separate trims for every condition if you want, and delays transitioning from one condition to the next can be done.

This brings Open9x more in line with other high end radios in how flight modes/phases are handled. You can do most of this (with the exception of the names on the screen) with er9x, but not quite as elegantly.

Pat MacKenzie
Fair enough. I was just focusing on the basic idea of flight mode for a CP heli. But I agree you can go well beyond that. I'm just working my way through Flight Phases in Open9x.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:08 PM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Hi guys;
I realize I am probably going to cop some flak for the following, However after a number of attempts at trying to set the 9xr up, I will say that I think that while this appears to be a great radio, but trying to set this up is a bloody atrcious. I feel that there is no true step by step manual, no explanations of the possible results. At the moment I am trying to set up to fly my t-rex 500, with the dx-7 no prob futaba 9cap no prob, the xr, crap. The throttle will not close totally, and the throtte screen is blinking in and out, if I change to another model, the screen is solid, but throttle not operating, obviously it is something I am doing not the radios fault, it is something I have done,, but nowhere can you just read a manual to see why or how to fix it, no manual, you know the one that is clear, that comes with name brand radios.
Neal
im having tonsof problems setting up for a 500 and 450 heli as well cant get swash to move correctly even with all the changes pat did its actually worse the 500 you did pat binds my swash and wont respond to some controls not sure what the heck is going on. can set up for a plane or multicopter in 5 seconds but heli sheesh
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:13 PM
Chuck
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Jul 2004
14 Posts
Thanks for the templates, I'll look at them later. For some reason I wasn't getting an email telling me there had been replies, must be a subscribe button I didn't hit.

I figured it out with pure determination. I disabled the gear channel servo mix to aileron. I then messed around until I got a mix to turn on with the gear switch and once on the aux2 switch moved from neutral to down flap. At first it the aux2 switch would move the aileron up and down just like the stick. Then I when to the curve tab and changed it till the aux2 switch only moved the aileron servo from neutral to full down. I then copied that mix from channel 2 to channel 5. I then had to recreate the gear channel to aileron mix to get the two wing servos working like ailerons.

So how I have it working is aileron stick left and right works always. When I hit the gear switch I can dial in the amount of flaps with the aux2 dial

Here is a pic of the mix window
http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps76c05f48.jpg
pchuckie is offline Find More Posts by pchuckie