HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2006
852 Posts
I love reading this thread it is the most entertaining and funny thread on rcgroups
iceaxe is online now Find More Posts by iceaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:55 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
If you blame and sold the 9XR, would you tell the buyer you were having these problems
Of course not! I would tell them it has solder joints made of gold, can control the US space station on a 4cell, and throw in beach front property in AZ if they buy today...... Yes, I would tell them.

Thanks for your feedback Pat. I was not aware of the difference with a brown out and RF issues, thanks for the explanation. I am losing what feels like complete bind midair, these are airframes that never had issues flying on the DX6i for 1yr. So I am betting RF issues or gimbals.

I am going to try gluing the gimbals and start there, good idea Pat! But for now the 9xr is relegated to flying my beaters only, until I can trust it. I will fix the gimbals and get some more flight time and report back.
Krash n Burn is online now Find More Posts by Krash n Burn
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
The LED on the receiver should flash to tell you which one it is.
Bye the way, I will see if I can find the manual on this, but if you now off hand what the HK Orange R610 led message would be? Also, it tends to drop for approx 5 sec, then rebind. Will it continue to hold this led error msg if it has already re-bound?

Thanks again Pat!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:15 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash n Burn View Post
Bye the way, I will see if I can find the manual on this, but if you now off hand what the HK Orange R610 led message would be? Also, it tends to drop for approx 5 sec, then rebind. Will it continue to hold this led error msg if it has already re-bound?

Thanks again Pat!
This could also be module pins not making good contact.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:24 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,892 Posts
extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Yep.
But is the connector on the board a balance connector?
Then I could simply buy a balance cable, route it through the ratchet, crimp some wire-end sleeves on it, and solder it where that white plastic solder connector is now.

I can't quite see if both ends of that cable are plugs. If they are both removable without soldering, a simple balance extension cable would be the solution.

However, when taking a really close look...
Extension cables from Spektrum Satellite RXes come to mind...
by any chance you know the part number?
or hobby king similar?
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,892 Posts
extension for throttle wire.

in the meantime i asked rc connectors if they have it or can make it.
let's see what they answer.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:09 PM
I can quit anytime I want.
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Assuming you used the heli template which uses the CYC inputs to the mixers, in the heli setup screen there is an elevator and aileron invert setting.

Pat MacKenzie
Pat beat me to it.
sdgeek is offline Find More Posts by sdgeek
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
This could also be module pins not making good contact.
Pulled the back off and checked continuity, they're good. I have done the "Gimbal Fix" with hot glue, I am hoping it's the fix.

Will report back after a little flight time.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:45 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
Guys,

I received my radio today and this is what I found. Is it normal to not have screws in these threaded holes?
Here is what I did with my holes.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359863105.301324.jpg
Views: 401
Size: 61.9 KB
Description:
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:09 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,287 Posts
FRSKY DIY Module.

After a bit of messing about I have installed a FRSKY Telemetry DIY module in my 9XR. It is in the otherwise empty module bay and there is an old module cover over the top. The standard handle aerial and it's connector have been discarded and a FRSKY 40cm receiver aerial extension connected to the DIY module in the handle put in its place.

The bind button and light are behind the grille above the "ready" light. The 3way switch has been left out as I don't plan to use non-telemetry receivers. There are connectors in the cables (except aerial) so the case back can still be removed.

A bluetooth module and RS232-TTL adapter have been installed in the battery bay for connection to the FRS_Logger Android APP, along with a 1800mah LIFE battery.

All this has been range and flight tested, the latter to the limit of vision with a 4m glider, with no issues.
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
The bind button and light are behind the grille above the "ready" light. The 3way switch has been left out as I don't plan to use non-telemetry receivers.
I originally re-reouted the LED's for the DHT to behind the ready light with a blue and red SMD led, but the flashing is bothersome right there. I replaced the switch with a micro slide switch behind a tiny hole in the module case, as I have several non-telemetery Rx's that I will still use. I left provision to use an external antenna as well.

Really liking it so far!!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:18 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,287 Posts
For me, the main point of using the DIY was to enable use of an internal antenna, otherwise I would have been content using my DJT module. The flashing LED is barely visible outdoors and certainly not bothersome to me, but we are all different.

Overall I didn't think I liked the feel of the radio as much as I do the 9X until I actually flew an aircraft with it for a while. It actually is quite comfortable and the sticks particularly are nice and smooth.
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:23 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
For me, the main point of using the DIY was to enable use of an internal antenna, otherwise I would have been content using my DJT module. The flashing LED is barely visible outdoors and certainly not bothersome to me, but we are all different.

Overall I didn't think I liked the feel of the radio as much as I do the 9X until I actually flew an aircraft with it for a while. It actually is quite comfortable and the sticks particularly are nice and smooth.
You probably could have added the connector for the antenna on the DJT, as I did on the module I built. Im sure you could have managed to get it in there. Or bought an empty module. Thats what I did. That way its fully removable. Telemetry uses the unused module pins.

I put ultra bright leds, and they were annoying even in the light!!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Hmmm, reading through some of this thread it seems I made a good choice after all in getting and modding a 9X vs a 9XR. Or at least waiting for the 1st batch issues to get sorted.
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,892 Posts
extensions for throttle

regarding the extensions for the throttle, i got this from Glenn at rc connectors:

Phil,
There are several connectors with 2mm spacing. They all have different geometry on the plastic connector, the pins are different shapes, etc.

The only way to do this properly is to find the exact connector they're using.

I can't make any guesses without better pictures. Ideally good close-up shots of the male connector end-on and the back side (where the little tangs are that hold the metal inside) and end-shots of the female.
Thanks,
Glenn

so here we are.
is anybody around that could help with this?
perhaps fellows like KKUSA or marhar, who had shown great close-ups?
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:16 PM.