HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:27 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
It is a construction flaw. All radios have got it. But most people never see it since they don't use the radio in the cold.
My guess is that HobbyKing sells the current production run and then quietly fixes the next batch of radios. A recall would be way too expensive. If you want the issue fixed, you better fix it yourself.
But do register a complaint. Just don't expect any feedback. I registered a complaint about sticking buttons some time ago and it seems firmly stuck in limbo. They will not answer or even assign it to anyone. The report is "waiting to be assigned". My guess is that the wait will be eternal :-)
If no one complains they likely won't fix it.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:43 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
I just ordered a set of those switches. And looks like one other person did too, as there were 8 available, now there's only 6 left.

Thanks for the video and finding out the ideal switches dvogonen!

By the way, I'm quite sure one of the reasons they went with the silicone switches was because there were a whole bunch of morons that complained about the 9Xs "noisy buttons". I clearly remember reading a number of posts in the 9X threads with complaints like that. Nimwits!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalamikid View Post
My review of the 9XR... I have 2 x 9x for the past 2 years, both running ER9X with telemetry

1. Hated buttons on 9x as they were too loud and clicky. 9XR buttons are way better, a lot quieter and prefer the feel.
2. Hated the position of the neck loop hook on 9x, made the bottom heavy, and was awkward to carry on neck loop. 9XR is better balanced and hangs level.
3. Not crazy about looks of 9X, I prefer 9XR, but that's subjective.
4. The screen on the 9XR is better than the 9X, clearer and easier to read.
5. Prefer Gimbals on 9XR, the 9X was a little spongy towards outer travel, 9XR is very smooth.
6. Switches feel slightly better on 9XR, but not greatly.
7. 9X had wires connecting to the back board, the board is built into the front on 9XR. Much easier and quicker to FrSky telemetry mod, and less wiring/connectors needed.
8. Love the fact that half the mods I need are already done.
9. I have telemetry mod and haptic off buzzer circuit, and there is still plenty of space. If you need more then the right end of the battery bay can be clipped off and used. This leaves a lot of space for sound mod or future mods.
10. The main board on 9XR is cleaner and looks better quality IMO.

Overall there is nothing I prefer on the 9X. The only mod I did to improve the stock unit is hot glue the gimbal connector. Didnt need anything else.

I have followed this thread and was worried about the number of negative comments, but couldn't be happier!!
Found one!
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:25 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,649 Posts
connectors pins too loose

opened it and checked gimbals.
i noticed that when moving the sticks up and down, the tiny pins that are inserted into the plugs move in their housing. this happens on both (throttle and elevator), no matter if the throttle wires are very short and the others are not: in both, these pins move a little in their housing. i am afraid that with use they may make a false contact, or the wires may break.
i added some welders glue (the transparent that dries hard), but i wish that could be a source for an extension (male at 1 end, female at the other) so we could insert it and make sort of a loop to relieve stress and wear.
any link?
i recall in my days of indoor micros that there is a supplier who sells all kinds of connectors. i will search in my files and if i find him i will order some and bring his address here.
or maybe some1 knows the link for them at hk?
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:53 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
If no one complains they likely won't fix it.
My theory is that they watch RCG threads to get the information, but don't participate coz the resulting flame wars would be counterproductive for them. This is their beta testing forum, after all!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:18 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
i noticed that when moving the sticks up and down, the tiny pins that are inserted into the plugs move in their housing. this happens on both (throttle and elevator), no matter if the throttle wires are very short and the others are not: in both, these pins move a little in their housing. i am afraid that with use they may make a false contact, or the wires may break.
i added some welders glue (the transparent that dries hard), but i wish that could be a source for an extension (male at 1 end, female at the other) so we could insert it and make sort of a loop to relieve stress and wear.
any link?
i recall in my days of indoor micros that there is a supplier who sells all kinds of connectors. i will search in my files and if i find him i will order some and bring his address here.
or maybe some1 knows the link for them at hk?
This has been fixed with hot glue by others.
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,649 Posts
extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
This has been fixed with hot glue by others.
i already fixed it, as i said in the post.
my concern is the wires that stress too much and that's why am trying to find an extension.
what am asking is a link for the extension.

that is the kind of comment that i need to hear.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:11 AM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Found one!
Nope, never posted on 9XForums about this .... But happy to be a moron if that's all it takes.
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:34 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalamikid View Post
Nope, never posted on 9XForums about this .... But happy to be a moron if that's all it takes.
lol I'm just busting your chops.

But seriously, cmon, how can you say something is "too loud, too clicky", when it's perfectly functional though. The 9XRs buttons are NOT!! not by a long shot. They get stuck (for some even in the warm, for all in the cold), they require extra hard pressing (for some it even activates multiple buttons), provide no feedback at all aside from what is happening on screen and most likely won't last nearly as long.

So yeah, you really prefer the buttons that arent so functional but quiet? Only issue I had was the sticky buttons in the cold, and that was more than enough for me to say screw this.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:22 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
The 9x button noise can be muffled quite effectively with a piece of foam (spongy type) placed over the buttons on the PCB with the tops of the buttons pocking through. The original sharp Clickety, Click sound becomes more of a low tone Clackety, Clack! The muffled sound is quite satisfying.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:27 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4,649 Posts
source for extension

regarding my post 5043 about an extension:
any link?
ideally if some1 knows the link for them at hk?

i found 1 supplier. it is: rc-connectors.com
he has a large assortment. the problem is, which 1 is what we need?
how we can determine the type, size?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:33 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Am I the only one with R73 missing?
Sansha999 is offline Find More Posts by Sansha999
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:18 AM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
lol I'm just busting your chops.
I know, I was busting em back
Quote:
But seriously, cmon, how can you say something is "too loud, too clicky", when it's perfectly functional though. The 9XRs buttons are NOT!! not by a long shot. They get stuck (for some even in the warm, for all in the cold), they require extra hard pressing (for some it even activates multiple buttons), provide no feedback at all aside from what is happening on screen and most likely won't last nearly as long.

So yeah, you really prefer the buttons that arent so functional but quiet? Only issue I had was the sticky buttons in the cold, and that was more than enough for me to say screw this.
I dont seem to be the only one who finds the buttons on 9X annoying. 9XR arent great, but I prefer them of the 2. They are perfectly functional to me. I have ordered a set of the Chinese buttons just in case they do go south. I use Companion9X for complex setups anyway...

Personally I really think that there is too much negativity around the radio, which may scare some people off what, to me at least, is the best bang for the buck on the market.

I have the 9X, and don't use them anymore... Each to their own.
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:10 AM
Canada, QC, Saint-Césaire
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
regarding my post 5043 about an extension:
any link?
ideally if some1 knows the link for them at hk?

i found 1 supplier. it is: rc-connectors.com
he has a large assortment. the problem is, which 1 is what we need?
how we can determine the type, size?
Please keep me informed if you find an extension or new longer wire. I temporarily repaired this problem with a tie wrap but I'm sure finding an extension or a longer wire is necessary to be sure something won't go wrong while flying.
martinlmtl is offline Find More Posts by martinlmtl
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:55 AM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
Hi everyone, I just received my turnigy 9xr. I have gotten lucky with many of the reported "major" problems. Although I cant fit my FrSky DJT module in the back. I know this is a reported problem and all I need to do is bend the pins slightly. Can someone tell me what page on this forum the problem was addressed, or how and what direction I should bend the pins. This forum has made me learn my new radio a lot more than i could of with the manual before even getting it!! keep up the good work guys.

Thanks in advance

Dave
oopsicrashed is offline Find More Posts by oopsicrashed
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsicrashed View Post
Hi everyone, I just received my turnigy 9xr. I have gotten lucky with many of the reported "major" problems. Although I cant fit my FrSky DJT module in the back. I know this is a reported problem and all I need to do is bend the pins slightly. Can someone tell me what page on this forum the problem was addressed, or how and what direction I should bend the pins. This forum has made me learn my new radio a lot more than i could of with the manual before even getting it!! keep up the good work guys.

Thanks in advance

Dave
You should bend the pins in the direction that will let the module fit properly

Line up the module with the module bay & you will be able to see which way you need to bend the pins.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress