HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:13 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig...

I've fallen out with my 9XR. The aileron Gimbal doesn't have a regular centre. Useless for any precision acrobatics. A HXT900 has far better and more accurate centring that my gimbals!

Si
There is a point where it becomes bacon, and I like bacon!!!

Your pot is loose!!! I had the same problem on one. Dab it up with hot glue, or bend the retainer to hold it in place. I think the retainer would still allow it to spin a bit, so a dab of electric glue is probably best.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:33 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
thanks for all the advice. my radio tells me that even if i don't touch nothing. just by turning it on.
anyway, seems that i need to calibrate the sticks.
now, where i read about how to do it?
link? post #?
thanks
http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2013/...libration.html
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:34 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,220 Posts
Quote:
if i press any key, the light comes back, but just momentarily.
2.-any chance to keep it on?
On the radio setup screen, you can adjust the backlight settings. I don't think it takes much power, so I leave it on for a long time.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:46 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
thank you sir. am working with that. i forgot that i have it in my files.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
On the radio setup screen, you can adjust the backlight settings. I don't think it takes much power, so I leave it on for a long time.
thanks again. just managed to increase to 20 seconds. seems enough, but now that i know, i can change it anytime.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Phil, are you putting the throttle stick to it's mid travel point before starting calibration? It sounds like you are starting the calibration with the throttle stick all the way down.
thanks for the advice. i am not sure if i had it at the center, so i went back to check and try and now am sure am starting with the throttle at the center. somehow now it shows the throttle at the center when the stick is there.
but still when i start it, it tells me that it is not down!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,878 Posts
manual for 9xr

where can i find the manual?
i have the 1 for the 9x, but am sure there are differences.
thanks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:15 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
where can i find the manual?
i have the 1 for the 9x, but am sure there are differences.
thanks
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0X192693X6.doc

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:22 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,220 Posts
Quote:
thanks again. just managed to increase to 20 seconds. seems enough, but now that i know, i can change it anytime.
You bet... it's funny though, once I knew that I could tune that number, I spent all sorts of time fiddling with it to get the timeout "just right".
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:56 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Incredible!

The XR has just been released, I couldn't yet put my hands over mine but the thread is already 334 pages old!

Anyway, for someone who is afraid and short of time to follow up the 234 pages of this thread to make his PHD into XR dimension, was it worth the wait?

Or there is something else and worst than some cracked cases to worry about when I receive mine?
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:28 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
Incredible!

The XR has just been released, I couldn't yet put my hands over mine but the thread is already 334 pages old!

Anyway, for someone who is afraid and short of time to follow up the 234 pages of this thread to make his PHD into XR dimension, was it worth the wait?

Or there is something else and worst than some cracked cases to worry about when I receive mine?
Well the thread did start nearly a year ago but you are right, the last 250 pages are just since it as been released.

From what I have heard, the first batch had the usual bad(ish) quality made worse by high expectations but I am starting to see good reviews from the average modeller with the latest batch.

To be honest, I would have bought it already if it came with (or guaranteed to sell separately) the DSM module that uses the internal antenna.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:32 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
Negative highlights as reported here, off the top of my head:

Gimbal issues: May need to disassemble and remove leftover flashing from the moulding process. May need to secure the potentiometers. May need to upgrade the springs.

Button issues: Terrible buttons. A nice fix is available, but requires some effort.

Switches: Disappointing quality to some

Battery: initially not available. Some debate as to whether the low voltage protection circuitry in the recommended battery is a good thing.

Module: Still none available to utilise internal antenna. Lots of confusion re. which other brands of modules fit and are compatible.

Internal space: Less space available for mods, for those who are so inclined.

Case: Moulding "cracks" reported. Seems mostly cosmetic. Design of carry handle not ideal for use of aftermarket modules with external antennae. Bling factor not to everybody's taste. Sensitive individuals have noticed "Nazi" imagery in a certain button.....

There's a learning curve involved re. the programming, and, while not a negative, some new users find it challenging to master. Nice tutorials are available online though.

There may be more that I have forgotten about? Guess you'll have to read through the whole thread!

Was it worth the wait? Possibly. Is it good value for $50 (plus postage, battery, module)? Probably. Did the majority of punters expect a more significant upgrade over the 9x? Absolutely
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:06 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Negative highlights as reported here, off the top of my head:

Gimbal issues: May need to disassemble and remove leftover flashing from the moulding process. May need to secure the potentiometers. May need to upgrade the springs.

Button issues: Terrible buttons. A nice fix is available, but requires some effort.

Switches: Disappointing quality to some

Battery: initially not available. Some debate as to whether the low voltage protection circuitry in the recommended battery is a good thing.

Module: Still none available to utilise internal antenna. Lots of confusion re. which other brands of modules fit and are compatible.

Internal space: Less space available for mods, for those who are so inclined.

Case: Moulding "cracks" reported. Seems mostly cosmetic. Design of carry handle not ideal for use of aftermarket modules with external antennae. Bling factor not to everybody's taste. Sensitive individuals have noticed "Nazi" imagery in a certain button.....

There's a learning curve involved re. the programming, and, while not a negative, some new users find it challenging to master. Nice tutorials are available online though.

There may be more that I have forgotten about? Guess you'll have to read through the whole thread!

Was it worth the wait? Possibly. Is it good value for $50 (plus postage, battery, module)? Probably. Did the majority of punters expect a more significant upgrade over the 9x? Absolutely
Thanks Wizard.
Spot on answer.
Now I feel much better prepared for when I receive mine.
No big expectations as I know it have many flaws and is not up to what most where expecting, kinda a miracle if it really was actually.
But this has been said before and I will repeat.
If they ca do that for $50, why not a $150 deluxe version that will really make a revolution on RC radios?
I'm sure it would be a sky rocket profitable product for those who are smart, knowledgeable and imaginative enough to make it happen.
Until then I may need to spend that $400 in a more reliable radio just in case.
But oh boy, how I want a decent quality 9XR to settle with.
More reliable systems that don't even offer same firmware flexibility are all over $350. And I still don't change my 9X with ER and FRSky for any of them...
But I miss better quality components quite badly!
It's a great radio but with a cheap plastic feel it doesn't have that safety psychological punch when flying expensive stuff in harsh conditions.
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Last edited by Velociraptor73; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:13 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
But oh boy, how I want a decent quality 9XR to settle with.
More reliable systems that don't even offer same firmware flexibility are all over $350. And I still don't change my 9X with ER and FRSky for any of them...
But I miss better quality components quite badly!
It's a great radio but with a cheap plastic feel it doesn't have that safety psychological punch when flying expensive stuff in harsh conditions.
There is this option: http://www.helibatics.com/turnigy-9xr--frsky-djt.html

They did good work on the 9x from what I hear. Probably the same with the 9xr, with all the bugs smoothed out.
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:48 PM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
There is this option: http://www.helibatics.com/turnigy-9xr--frsky-djt.html

They did good work on the 9x from what I hear. Probably the same with the 9xr, with all the bugs smoothed out.
Not too bad, but not very cheap either. DIY would be less than 150 and it is not very difficult to execute after modding a few
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member