HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:15 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliechan View Post
Received my 9XR and thought I could use my 9x module until someone had stockage of FrSky module. Nada, not communicating with my other models that had been working with the module in the 9x. Did I misunderstand about modules for the 9XR?
You need different types of receivers for different modules. They are not compatible with eachother. 9X module works with 9X receivers, FrSy modules work with FrSky receivers. FrSky modules DONT work with 9X...

Also, is the receiver telemetry? Check the switches on the module for the mode they are on, because one mode is for two way telemetry and anothe position is for single way telemetry.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:07 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,253 Posts
[QUOTE=KKUSA;23985529]Here are the two methods I used to find the center of the switches.

Use a non permanent marker, and ink up the conductive elastomer pad a bit. Reassemble temporarily and press on the buttons a few times. This transfers the ink like a stamp to the PCB. Dont worry about the ink, your putting switches in anyway!!!

/QUOTE]

Sweet, that's a great technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
PS: Yes, I know about the purple spot on my camera!!! Laser damage!!
And that sounds like a story that needs telling...
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:43 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post

And that sounds like a story that needs telling...
I was using it to view and align a 3W IR pump diode, and I hit the cam directly.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:47 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
telemetry: where?

thank you gentlemen for all your help.
now, for this 9xr, if i want telemetry, where on earth can i place the screen?
the only area i see possible is on the opening of the handle-but then how will i grab it?
i know it is too much to ask, but the designers could consider this possibility before they placed the handle up front. if it were at the rear, that is the usual, this wouldn't happen. and frankly, i don't see why the handle is up front.
thanks again.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:41 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
thank you gentlemen for all your help.
now, for this 9xr, if i want telemetry, where on earth can i place the screen?
the only area i see possible is on the opening of the handle-but then how will i grab it?
i know it is too much to ask, but the designers could consider this possibility before they placed the handle up front. if it were at the rear, that is the usual, this wouldn't happen. and frankly, i don't see why the handle is up front.
thanks again.
You can flash a telemetry version of ER9X, or Open9X and have it right on the TX screen with a few minor internal mods.

The handle up front, considering it is the antenna housing as well, is the best placement for the horizontal internal antenna.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
Quote:
You can flash a telemetry version of ER9X, or Open9X and have it right on the TX screen with a few minor internal mods.

The handle up front, considering it is the antenna housing as well, is the best placement for the horizontal internal antenna.
thank you very much.
i will try flashing the er9x telemetry. seems the best solution. any details, advice?
and about the handle, right. it's good to understand why.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:54 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:

hi mate. is there a foolproof guide for the mods ? (especially if one wants to use a modified djt with telemetry fed through the module pins?)
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
my impressions-part 2

1.-trims have a very positive feeling: the clicks and the way they are designed are a major improvement from the 9x-and also from all the other radios that i have.
2.-the 'ready' sign seems too bright for home, but i think that is ok for the field, considering that most of the time light is brighter outdoors.
>>>edit:anyway, i ended up sticking a piece of paper and coloring it with a blue marker, to block the intense light.<<<
3.-the room for the battery is enough for a 2200x3-and even for a larger 1 like 2600x3.
4.-the plug that comes with these batteries fits well and there is enough room for the hatch to close.
5.-the hatch slides effortlessly and locks well-not too much pressure but enough to make you feel that it is not going to fall unexpectedly.
6.-the module fits well, again, positive contact and lock. no need to push it hard. (i have the frsky)
7.-the gimbals seem to have less travel than the 9x: they move less degrees from 1 end to the other. it may be a reason for this, but i want to mention it because it is noticeable when you place both the 9x and the 9xr next to each other. but they are smooth as silk.
8.-the main switch slides well and when turning it off, you can hear the click, but not when turning it on: it just slides but no click.
9.-its position is better than the 9x; it is higher and there is less chance that any1 could flip it by mistake instead of a trim. still, i would like it to slide horizontally to avoid this to happen. the DX6i has it this way, and is a major improvement from the original DX6.
10.-and last but not least: the 6 contacts: the 'cross' at the left works like a charm. i feel nothing when i press (gently) it into any direction, but it responds beautifully. all the time. and the ones at the right, click and do their job well too. another issue that they have taken care, i think. in my case, no need for the buttons.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 01, 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
turning it on

when turning it on, a sign says :
alert
throttle not idle
reset throttle
press any key to skip

i check the throttle and is all the way down.
if i press any key it changes to the screen of model 01-and the light goes off.
1.-so, what the sign means? what do i have to do to fix this?

if i press any key, the light comes back, but just momentarily.
2.-any chance to keep it on?
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:44 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I noticed that on the 9XR the pins for the module are on the side. On my futaba 9C they are on the top.
I'm really leary on ordering a module for futaba for the 9XR if it is not going to fit.
I mainly fly large scale planes so I need a module that can live up to gassers.
I like the Frsky set up. Can anyone post a link for a module that will fit the 9XR?
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:47 AM
Warbird Fanatic
United States, PA, Coraopolis
Joined Jun 2012
274 Posts
Throttle Warning

Quote:
alert
throttle not idle
reset throttle
press any key to skip

1.-so, what the sign means?

I had a similar issue. Read on one of the posts to recalibrate my sticks/pots and not do it as rigorously as I had. Just ease the sticks to their end points. Once I did that, no more problems.
Worth a try.
jchtr3a is offline Find More Posts by jchtr3a
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:51 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,470 Posts
when you press any key you just made the alarm go away. not the problem. have you calibrated your sticks? also, when you calibrate don't make too much pressure on them, and don't mover them to the corners.. just do a up down, left right movement. gently..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:52 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I noticed that on the 9XR the pins for the module are on the side. On my futaba 9C they are on the top.
I'm really leary on ordering a module for futaba for the 9XR if it is not going to fit.
I mainly fly large scale planes so I need a module that can live up to gassers.
I like the Frsky set up. Can anyone post a link for a module that will fit the 9XR?
You need a JR type Module, not futaba.
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:53 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
alert
throttle not idle
reset throttle
press any key to skip

1.-so, what the sign means? what do i have to do to fix this?

Agree about calibrating sticks. Once you manage to turn the radio on, long press left and go down a few entries, to 'Light off after' and set the time delay higher. You can also set up a backlight switch on the same screen if you want. This is with standard firmware.
Thwock is offline Find More Posts by Thwock
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:54 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
hi mate. is there a foolproof guide for the mods ? (especially if one wants to use a modified djt with telemetry fed through the module pins?)
http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/H...port_telemetry

http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk...emetryMods.pdf
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa