HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:08 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Dec 2012
49 Posts
9XR module

Received my 9XR and thought I could use my 9x module until someone had stockage of FrSky module. Nada, not communicating with my other models that had been working with the module in the 9x. Did I misunderstand about modules for the 9XR?
Charliechan is offline Find More Posts by Charliechan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Here are the two methods I used to find the center of the switches.

Use a non permanent marker, and ink up the conductive elastomer pad a bit. Reassemble temporarily and press on the buttons a few times. This transfers the ink like a stamp to the PCB. Dont worry about the ink, your putting switches in anyway!!!

Or, with these particular switches, I placed them in the elastomer, with a dab of RTV on the bottom of the switch. Reassemble temporarily, and press the button to place them.

It will work on the type of switches most seem to have bought as well, but positioning them rotationally will be a bit tougher

I went with the smaller flatter switches. They did not require scraping of solder mask, and they have less of a click. Less tactile than the others, but its there.

I used solder paste instead of wire solder to solder them.

They may be a little more troublesome for some than the other type, as they are a bit harder to handle. A sneeze will send them across the room. I found out the hard way!!!

PS: Yes, I know about the purple spot on my camera!!! Laser damage!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
In terms of shipping method, which is quickest to the US? Will Swiss air be quick?
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:15 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliechan View Post
Received my 9XR and thought I could use my 9x module until someone had stockage of FrSky module. Nada, not communicating with my other models that had been working with the module in the 9x. Did I misunderstand about modules for the 9XR?
My 9x turnigy module works fine in my 9xr.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
T
Quote:

The module with the wireless antenna or with the built-in antenna?
Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:40 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
No, that sometimes is slower. That is what they normally use if you order batteries. Otherwise regular registered mail is fine. Sorry, I'm assuming you're talking about Hobbyking. I just saw your post and thought that was what you were talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
In terms of shipping method, which is quickest to the US? Will Swiss air be quick?
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
No, that sometimes is slower. That is what they normally use if you order batteries. Otherwise regular registered mail is fine. Sorry, I'm assuming you're talking about Hobbyking. I just saw your post and thought that was what you were talking about.
Yes, thanks, from HK. I'll avoid swiss mail.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:08 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,614 Posts
Quote:
can you shoot a picture of the module you're using and how it's seated in the transmitter?
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var. View Post
T

The module with the wireless antenna or with the built-in antenna?
It's the Turnigy module. I simply relocated the antenna. I wrote a post detailing it.

http://www.hacksmods.com/2011/12/tur...x-antenna-mod/
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:30 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,076 Posts
the easiest way

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Here are the two methods I used to find the center of the switches.

Use a non permanent marker, and ink up the conductive elastomer pad a bit. Reassemble temporarily and press on the buttons a few times. This transfers the ink like a stamp to the PCB. Dont worry about the ink, your putting switches in anyway!!!

Or, with these particular switches, I placed them in the elastomer, with a dab of RTV on the bottom of the switch. Reassemble temporarily, and press the button to place them.

It will work on the type of switches most seem to have bought as well, but positioning them rotationally will be a bit tougher

I went with the smaller flatter switches. They did not require scraping of solder mask, and they have less of a click. Less tactile than the others, but its there.

I used solder paste instead of wire solder to solder them.

They may be a little more troublesome for some than the other type, as they are a bit harder to handle. A sneeze will send them across the room. I found out the hard way!!!

PS: Yes, I know about the purple spot on my camera!!! Laser damage!!
brilliant! i would go for the 1st method of using the non-permanent ink marker.
thanks a lot. it shows that sometimes the easiest way is just a matter of thinking.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:12 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,076 Posts
index/questions and answers

could be convenient to start a section of questions and answers so we newbies don't keep asking the same questions over and over?
and what about an index?
maybe at the post 1 or whatever?
other threads do so.

edit: there is an er9x forum somewhere, but i was thinking 1 here. oh well...
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 31, 2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,076 Posts
now what?

so i got my 9xr.
i also have some 3 cells packs that i charge separately, so this is not a problem.
and also this from FrSky:
DJT-JR Tx telemetry module;
FLD-02-LCD display;
D8R-11 plus rx w/telemetry;
FBVS-01 volts sensor.
they are installed in my 9x and i could transfer all to my new 9xr.

if i would like to use other rx's, are there some compatible? which 1's?
does hk sell some?
again, does hk sell-or will soon-a module for the 9xr?
i imagine some of this has been asked before, that's why on the previous post i suggested an index or questions and answers section.

thanks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:33 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
No need for any special module. I have no idea what module they're working on, but as long as you have the same type you'll be fine. For example, if you use the flysky module, you have to use the flysky receiver. If you use frsky, then that module only works with frsky receivers. You can't mix and match Whatever module you are using has to use the same company receivers. Since you got the frsky, just keep using that. Or if you want something cheaper, you can get the flysky module and their cheap receivers and use those, but they don't have telemetry which is fine in many applications where the model is in front of you anyway. I'm thinking of the 9x as that's what I have, but the 9xr works the same with in terms of modules I believe. I don't think that HK has the flysky module v2 though. At least not the removable type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
so i got my 9xr.
i also have some 3 cells packs that i charge separately, so this is not a problem.
FLD-02-LCD display;
FBVS-01 volts sensor.

does hk sell some?
i imagine some of this has been asked before, that's why on the previous post i suggested an index or questions and answers section.

thanks
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
does hk sell some?

thanks
Only FrSky Rx are compatible with the FrSky Module.

Here are the best prices I have seen. Even cheaper than HK.: http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ry-system.html

http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...telemetry.html
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:19 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,614 Posts
Quote:
so i got my 9xr.
FLD-02-LCD display;
FBVS-01 volts sensor.

does hk sell some?

thanks
Low Thud already addressed this -- but you'll get quicker shipping (even with customs) and cheaper prices from alofthobbies.com

The two receivers I'd recommend you use are:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-d4r-ii.html
and
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-d8...telemetry.html

They really don't have a 6 channel at this time that's as versatile as either of these.

If you are into micro sized then this is your receiver
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-5-...-receiver.html

If you fly electric aircraft -- the sensors you'll find the most use from -- at least initially are http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-li...d-display.html and http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-40-amp-sensor.html or http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-10...connector.html

Most of us ordered one of everything when we got started -- but you really don't need to do that -- pick one or two important parameters and track those.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member