HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:31 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,889 Posts
post 4918

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by template, but the thing is that everyone's radio is different. It's a matter of FIT (how they are assembled) and FINISH (how the parts are actually manufactured). So if by template you mean a printout of the exact location, that won't work.

>>>by template i mean, cutting a flat piece of cardboard and marking the location of the pads on the tx cover and then using it for marking those positions for soldering the switches in the same place as the template<<<
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,889 Posts
manual

is the manual for the r the same as the 9x?
thanks
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:39 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliHaven View Post
Now don't that just make an altogether nicer looking article ...

Would be 100% if done with black Smooth Touch ... totally obliterate all the mould defects as well!

KKUSA - if you can, pop the casings into your home oven at its very lowest temperature (as soon as the dial 'clicks' and see what temp it sits at - mine here gets to 68deg C) and let it sit there for a couple hours. Makes the stuff much more resilient.
Yes, it does make it look a gazillion times better. I will post pics when Im done putting it back together.

It did obliterate all the molding imperfections.

I baked it at 100F for 1 hour , forced air.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:46 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
>>>by template i mean, cutting a flat piece of cardboard and marking the location of the pads on the tx cover and then using it for marking those positions for soldering the switches in the same place as the template<<<
How do you know where the contact pads in the silicone are relative to the buttons? If your creating that template on the tx cover, you'll need to know where those pads are underneath the buttons, as that's whats pushing and activating the switches.

I mean, a better idea would be to remove the main board within the radio, and lay the template over the pads and mark down their location. But the problem even with this is cause you dont know where to place the template over the main board.

Precision is the key here. That is... if you want your buttons to have the perfect feel.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:52 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
Very interesting! Can you tell me how much you used and how you applied the top coat? Did you sand the plastic? Did you use the "promotor"? Any advice on how you did this would be appreciated.
Thanks
farmertom
I only used about an ounce.

It is new plastic, so little prep is needed. You must wash it with a dish deterent to get of any oils, then clean it with Naphtha. I did not use an adhesion promoter, nor did I sand. That generally isnt necessary on well cleaned, new ABS. I sprayed it with an airbrush with a large needle and fluid tip. Actually , one of the sprayers that the company who sells it is selling with their kits would work fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paint-Spraye...item335e49ad45

You will need to tape off a lot on the radio. Mask any area where another part is to go so as to prevent any fitment issues, especially the faceplate, and LCD area.

It is a heavy (thick) paint, apply in several light coats to build up to a wet coat.

Also, this is industrial/auto grade paint. It is very strong smelling. Do not use it in your home!!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:07 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
You are now chatting with : Zoe (Customer Service)
Zoe: Thank you for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team. How may I help you?
You: I ordered a Turnigy 9Xr and a Orange Rx Module to fit it (ORDER# XYZ) and it's been in stock and out of stock and back in stock again and back out of stock again and still it hasn't shipped. In addition I have put in other orders after it that have shipped, what gives?
Zoe: One moment please.
Zoe: Your order will be packed and shipped soon. Please check in 1-2 business days for your order status to update.Zoe: Is there anything else I may help you with?
You: Are you sure?
Zoe: Yes.
You: OK thank you.

This is verbatim (minus the order # of course) I don't think that matters but....
Well Hobbyking was true to thier word and my 9XR was shipped. Wonder how long before I get it?
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,889 Posts
could be a way...

Quote:
How do you know where the contact pads in the silicone are relative to the buttons? If your creating that template on the tx cover, you'll need to know where those pads are underneath the buttons, as that's whats pushing and activating the switches.

I mean, a better idea would be to remove the main board within the radio, and lay the template over the pads and mark down their location. But the problem even with this is cause you dont know where to place the template over the main board.

Precision is the key here. That is... if you want your buttons to have the perfect feel.
my idea was to mark those pads from the inside. the template could be clear plastic. but, as you say, we need something as fixed reference to align cover, pads and board. perhaps gluing 'L' shaped pieces to the inside of the cover, that fit the corners of the board. just trying to figure it out. could be an easy fix if we solve these details.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,889 Posts
my impressions-part 1

just got my 9xr. i ordered it on the 5th (was bo); shipped on the 21st, and took 9 days to get here.
these are my preliminary impressions:
1.-the box where it comes is way smaller, which makes it easier to handle to and from the field.
2.-giving it a very close inspection for visible defects, it has 2 almost imperceptible finish imperfections, 1 near the horizontal part of the cross at the left, and another at the right side of the menu button. but if had not known of this from here i would not notice that. they look more like change in the finish, like going from satin to flat. no dept at all. just the finish. but you have to look very hard to notice them.
i guess they found the way to take care of this.
3.-the buttons on the right (menu and exit) run freely-no drag, nothing. again, i guess they fixed the problem.
4.-the cross on the left feels funny: no click nothing, just rubbery. perhaps is the fact that the feeling is different that makes it feel strange, and it may take just to get used to it, especially if we compare it (all 6 buttons) with the 9x, where you feel and hear the clicks.
the color is black, compared to the dark gray of the 9x, and is satin finished. it looks good to me. the 'frosted' silver finish of the parts makes me a good impression of quality product. nothing 'cheap'. all around seems of good quality and taste.
5.-the shape is different, as it could be expected from a new product, and how each 1 likes it or not depends on the taste of each 1. nothing ugly to me.
6.-the feeling again, is different, but nothing bad. i have heard so many comments on how people likes or not a radio by how it feels, that am sure it's impossible to please all. besides, as i hold my radios on a tray and a strap, i really don't notice any difference between radios.
7.-the feeling of the gimbals is smooth, like the 9x. nothing wrong or that could be improved.
am telling you my impressions, just as others have been telling us theirs. not to argue with anybody. i respect their views, but this is how i see it. each 1 his own.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:27 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck28 View Post
Hey fellas, beginner here! Im in the market for my first hobby grade tx and have done extensive research. Still lost on which one to chose. This tx would be for quadcopters only. Would the 9xr be good for me? If so, what receiver/module would work the best with this radio? I know this post has probally been covered somewhere, sorry for that!

Paul
Just in my opinion, it's a fine radio for a beginner. If you're doing quads, FrSky is a good choice... good quality, good range, proper failsafe.

Here's a shopping list I put together for somebody else who was asking about this:

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2013/...telemetry.html
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:36 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
It's only a matter of time until we see this question posted once again for the millionth time.

Had you put "Aurora 9 gimbals" someone might have found your post when trying to search if it has been posted before.

Don't think anyone has tried it yet as it has been asked before with no clear answer to follow.
sorry edit post
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:40 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helichoper View Post
You need a programer and driver for the programer installed and working and connected --make your model temple and set your preferences and click write eeprom to TX tab and it will be flashed to your radio --some reading here

http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/F...t_1_-_Hardware
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
just got my 9xr. i ordered it on the 5th (was bo); shipped on the 21st, and took 9 days to get here.
these are my preliminary impressions:
1.-the box where it comes is way smaller, which makes it easier to handle to and from the field.
2.-giving it a very close inspection for visible defects, it has 2 almost imperceptible finish imperfections, 1 near the horizontal part of the cross at the left, and another at the right side of the menu button. but if had not known of this from here i would not notice that. they look more like change in the finish, like going from satin to flat. no dept at all. just the finish. but you have to look very hard to notice them.
i guess they found the way to take care of this.
3.-the buttons on the right (menu and exit) run freely-no drag, nothing. again, i guess they fixed the problem.
4.-the cross on the left feels funny: no click nothing, just rubbery. perhaps is the fact that the feeling is different that makes it feel strange, and it may take just to get used to it, especially if we compare it (all 6 buttons) with the 9x, where you feel and hear the clicks.
the color is black, compared to the dark gray of the 9x, and is satin finished. it looks good to me. the 'frosted' silver finish of the parts makes me a good impression of quality product. nothing 'cheap'. all around seems of good quality and taste.
5.-the shape is different, as it could be expected from a new product, and how each 1 likes it or not depends on the taste of each 1. nothing ugly to me.
6.-the feeling again, is different, but nothing bad. i have heard so many comments on how people likes or not a radio by how it feels, that am sure it's impossible to please all. besides, as i hold my radios on a tray and a strap, i really don't notice any difference between radios.
7.-the feeling of the gimbals is smooth, like the 9x. nothing wrong or that could be improved.
am telling you my impressions, just as others have been telling us theirs. not to argue with anybody. i respect their views, but this is how i see it. each 1 his own.
Well imho I would call that a thumbs up, For initial quality anyway. Thanks for your time and opinion Phil.

EDIT: could someone tell me how I got double qoutes?
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:45 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoinkster View Post
Thanks to the creators and members of this site. An overwhelming amount of information to take in for a guy that hasn't flown in nearly 20 years. Sorry for the newb question but... I ordered this (9XR) TX today and want to know what module or modules would be best for me. I plan on doing both FPV (maybe long range some day but down the road a bit...) and park flyers. Also any good place in the US that have said modules in stock? TIA for any help.
Quote:
Well imho I would call that a thumbs up, For initial quality anyway. Thanks for your time and opinion Phil.

EDIT: could someone tell me how I got double qoutes?
You must have hit the little ""+ button beside the quote button on the first post, then the quote button on the second.

Cool feature, lets you quote multiple posts.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:47 PM
|Taranis|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,322 Posts
Quote:
So here is my suggestion, before anyone even starts soldering/gluing the switches in place:.
Very good suggestion. Thank you. I think I'll try using some water based paint or ink. hmmm...
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:53 PM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Well Hobbyking was true to thier word and my 9XR was shipped. Wonder how long before I get it?
Mine was shipped back on the 25th and its still not showing anything in the postage tracking information
This happen with my last hobbyking order, they said it had been posted but didn't get to the postage carrier till 7 working days later?
Which then they add their handling time before posting..
I'm getting impatient now
planex is online now Find More Posts by planex
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:57 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,623 Posts
The 25th is not long ago by international shipping standards. Stuff falls off the radar sometimes and then one day it tracks and is at your door the next. Sometimes US customs is the one holding it up. Be patient. It won't move like it's going through domestic shipping channels.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72