SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:19 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
details on buttons at the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlmtl View Post
See at 4:24 for switch positioning. The switch are so small, it's easy to turn them 90 degree and solder them wrong way. If soldered wrongly, it will react like a short circuit (like if you are holding the switch down).
thank you very much for your intention to help.
but i don't get what you are trying to explain. like 90 degrees what.
that is exactly what i need to understand. i am unable to see nothing at 4:24.
that is why i need dvogonen to answer my request and provide exact details.

regards
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
just checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by racs View Post
xxxcellarator, Thanks for the link! Bought them right away.
But even searching after the copied text brought no listings. Ebay and their search...
funny. i just tried it again:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

and it works.
computers, internet and ebay are mysterious things that sometimes don't work as expected. it happens all the time.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
The tabs on the switches should point sideways, not up and down like I had them originally.
dvogonen is online now Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
i see the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
The tabs on the switches should point sideways, not up and down like I had them originally.
thank you very much for your advice.
i will look for the tabs. i did not notice that on the video.
thanks again, great guy!
ok, i looked at them again, and the tabs at the board look at about 30 degrees from the horizontal, not exactly horizontal. don't know why. perhaps is the way the tabs should match the point where 1 has to solder them to the board?
they seem to have 2 tabs at 1 end, and another 2 at the other. see: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
does it mean that we can solder any1 to the board? just 1? where exactly?
can we have an enlargement of the picture?
thanks
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:15 PM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
ok got it working on my quad and tris. really nice feeling radio so far so good. im going to try toreflash open and see if can get it to work with open.......
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:16 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
thank you very much for your advice.
i will look for the tabs. i did not notice that on the video.
thanks again, great guy!
ok, i looked at them again, and the tabs look at about 30 degrees from the horizontal, not exactly horizontal. don't know why. perhaps is the way the tabs should match the point where 1 has to solder them to the board?
Here are screenshots that I took from the video of the soldering. Not the clearest/best, but it should help some.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:22 PM
Czech Republic, Plzeň Region, Holýšov
Joined Jul 2004
21 Posts
So today I turned and T 9XR indicator shows voltage 0.7 V, while flashlight what they got (3s LiPo Turnigy 2.2) is fully charged. Try out other batteries, all the same. Do you know where could be the problem?: Eek:
Keml is offline Find More Posts by Keml
Last edited by Keml; Jan 23, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:26 PM
Total Newbie
United Kingdom, England, Loughborough
Joined Dec 2012
516 Posts
Guys,2 more rather silly quick questions....
1)has anyone tried (successfully) using the 9XR as a trainee radio with other transmitters?
My main aim is the Specturm series as that is the favourite in my country,so would it be easy to buddy box and learn from other pros at the clubs I intend to attend?
2)I saw a few pages back Mr. Dvogonen also did a video on using a 2S balance plug and thus using a 2S with the transmitter.....why hasn't anyone used the same technique to plug a XT60 connector instead of the 2S plug shown so that a large range of batteries can be used?
I was planning on doing that mod,just thought I'd clear my madness with other experienced people first...what would be the disadvantages of the mentioned method,the big plus point would be to avoid 'miss-balance' of the batteries maybe?

Any comments/Ideas?
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:30 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Ive got the 9XR and OrangeRx and works fine and is as solid as DSM2 allows in that its now an old protocol! You should also buy the $5 programmer so you can reflash to newer firmware.
So I am assuming by ChrisJ800's comment I pretty much got the idea.

Choices, Choices.

So I did a comparison and am trying to figure out ...

Why would you want the 9x over the 9Xr?
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
The angle was a necessity due to the orientation of the pads on the board. If the contacts are turned any other way they end up further off from the middle of the pad, where the button is pressing down.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:33 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
The rubber buttons of the 9XR are the worst aspect of the radio. They are inexact and give no tactile response. I placed micro switches between the rubber buttons and the PCB which improved the experience of handling the radio tremendously. The following video shows how to make the upgrade and tells you which micro buttons I used:
http://youtu.be/fYHOy7m_J7I
Thanks dvogonen, this is great.

I can't wait to see your upcoming videos, "9XR, Time Travel" and "9XR Fusion Reactor"
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
why hasn't anyone used the same technique to plug a XT60 connector instead of the 2S plug shown so that a large range of batteries can be used?
I was planning on doing that mod,just thought I'd clear my madness with other experienced people first...what would be the disadvantages of the mentioned method,the big plus point would be to avoid 'miss-balance' of the batteries maybe?

Any comments/Ideas?
You can certainly use a XT60 contact, since only two of the leads in the balance connector are actually connected to anything. A JST contact would be another sensible option, since the power draw is low.
I used a balancing plug since that is common between the smallest and largest batteries. A 3s and a 2s balancing plug actually covers all batteries I own.
But I agree that XT60 is much nicer to connect and disconnect.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
@Keml
Have you just flashed your transmitter?
The battery voltage can be lost during flashing.
You find the value n one of the radio setup screens. Set the voltage to the real value your battery holds and you should be fine.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Why would you want the 9x over the 9Xr?
The biggest advantage is that there is much more room in it to mount extra PCBs for stuff like integrated sound, dual transmitters etc

At the moment it is also less work needed to get a 9x working properly (solder a programmer cable in and install a plugg and play backlight).
The 9xrs sold this far require an installation of new buttons, an adjustment of both gimbals and filing down the slightly oversized menu/exit buttons. At least if you want the radio to be all it has the potential to be. I am sure HobbyKing will fix the issues in upcoming production runs, but at the moment you need to fix it yourself.
Last edited by dvogonen; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Thanks dvogonen, this is great.

I can't wait to see your upcoming videos, "9XR, Time Travel" and "9XR Fusion Reactor"
Thank you for the ideas. I have otherwise run out of topics. I think my 9xr is as good as it will get since voice support is to complicated and integrated telemetry feels pointless for what I am flying.