HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
104 Posts
My completely uneducated guess is that its simply the exact same 9x internal boards, but a new tx case, new switches and pots, with the backlight and usbasp programmer pre installed. I could be wrong, but Im skeptical of HK having advanced SMT equipment necessary to produce the boards themselves. However I'm sure they could easily source existing boards, and install backlights and programmers into a new case by hand.
GuitsBoy is offline Find More Posts by GuitsBoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:26 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
I second this ^^^.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:42 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
536 Posts
Like what I'm hearing so far.

Some failings of the 9X that would be great if improved in the new 9XR:

1) Easy adaptation to 2S LIPO batteries with:
a) bigger battery bay, there is considerable wasted space behind and around the bay!
b) standardise wiring on the Tx'r battery plug so a 2S LIPO can plug strait in.

2) Reduce bulk where possible for easy transport (slope flyer, backpack and cliffs you know).

3) Be great to have a Tx module that is compatible with several Rx formats, where you can select Tx type in model programming. (Not that technically difficult [I am a Tech], the power amp stage of the Tx module is common, as is the control input from the sticks, it is only the encoding that needs to be adapted to any particular Rx type format (Spectrum, 9X, etc...)). How sweet would that be, no one has done it YET !. One Tx'r that could be used with all your models, even if they are fitted with different Rx types (spectrum PNF micros, HK 9X, etc...).
cleansurf2 is offline Find More Posts by cleansurf2
Last edited by cleansurf2; Apr 20, 2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:36 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
I think it will cost $50 + shipping + 2 year backorder. So basically $150 on ebay and other vendor sites.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:18 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
cleansurf, could this kind of switching be done with something like er9x?
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:55 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
if you take what tony hand says literally then guitsboy and renato are close. except there will have to be a new pcb to support the added features. heres photo of the new case according to jcervantes:

as far as lipo its unlikely since most makers have capacity for rational thought and are not subject to internet social phenomena. i predict no changes in the battery type.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:29 AM
Aachen, Germany
Joined Jun 2007
638 Posts
Now THAT is going to upset the nice gizmothingamybob-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
heres photo of the new case according to jcervantes:

spainman is online now Find More Posts by spainman
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,279 Posts
Errr, nah, that's not it. Either way, sounds like the new Tx is going to be a must-have. Only reason I don't have another 9X already is because of the fact that it's constantly out of stock.
WiseDuck is online now Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
that's a picture of something else. http://www.os-rc.com/ if hobbyking is working with those guys then well, that's great.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:21 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
HK can work with Fisher Price as well, it's the same design...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:24 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,279 Posts
If they tighten up the unit just a little then I'll be happy. It's kinda funny that my cheapo 9X feels more solid than my friends much more expensive transmitter, altho that one was bought used.
WiseDuck is online now Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:31 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
aha... gizmosforyou/osrc. cervantes does seem to be full of it. part language barrier, part goofball. 700 bucks and for most rc hobbyists even worse overkill than the 9x. im glad its not that one.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numanair View Post
cleansurf, could this kind of switching be done with something like er9x?
re: Multiple Rx'r compatibility (9x, Spectrum, JR, etc..)
Unlikely ER9X could achieve this, unless encoding is done on the main board. The original 9X had an interchangeable Tx'r module, which means the serial control input data was encoded in the first stage of the Tx'r module before being amplified and Tx'd out the antenna. Fair guess the encoding is still done in the 9X v2 Tx'r module. So software would not be able to achieve changing Tx'r encoding with the 9X hardware set up. Major bummer.

It would be possible to use firmware to allow different models to select different Rx'r compatibility if the 9XR hardware was designed for it, which would probably not be that difficult, if they are starting from scratch on the main board.

The 9XR would need to encode the serial control data on the main board using software, not a preset hardware encoder. This would enable the data to be encoded to be compatible with whatever Rx'r make you wanted. Not just one type, but a different Rx compatability for each model memory if you wanted. Means you could also add new encoding (Rx compatibility) with firmware upgrades. The 9XR main board would have to be specifically designed to achieve this, maybe V2, V1 to far along now I would guess.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
536 Posts
This thread is parallel with second hand info.

[B]Moving to the main HK FORUM thread for this topic.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f....asp?TID=28792

thanks for the link "DeathWarmedUp"
Last edited by cleansurf2; Apr 21, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansurf2 View Post
It would be possible to use firmware to allow different models to select different Rx'r compatibility if the 9XR hardware was designed for it, which would probably not be that difficult, if they are starting from scratch on the main board.

The 9XR would need to encode the serial control data on the main board using software, not a preset hardware encoder. This would enable the data to be encoded to be compatible with whatever Rx'r make you wanted
this is not even remotely possible. there is a standard interface that is the same for main boards. its called ppm. there is no "data encoding". its the rf module which determines compatibilty today. specifically the transceiver chip. a7105 for flysky, cc2500 for frsky, rfm22b for olrs, etc.. but they all take ppm in.