HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:20 AM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Yes they are all from the same junk quality , that's what it is, and they know this
at Junk king ,they are just a ordinary gang of crooks .
In my flying club there are now 6 people with a new 9X-R and we have all the same problems !
I was a Hobbyking customer, but NOT any more !

Anthony Hand you can stick them where the sun never shines !

NO MORE JUNK KING for me !
Mine has no and i meen no quality issues great gimbals solid switches none sticking just learning the programming
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Jul 2005
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
i did that over and over still get a switch error on 2 swithces aileron and throttle but as earlier stated it did rid the throttle error
The switch errors are probably due to a wire coming lose from the switch. The switches almost never fail, but this is naturally a possibility.
Have you opened the radio to fix another problem? The wires from the switches are very short and I pulled off three of them when i fixed my sticking buttons.
dvogonen is online now Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:27 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
i did that over and over still get a switch error on 2 swithces aileron and throttle but as earlier stated it did rid the throttle error
You uploaded the wrong version of the software. You need to upload the plain version NOT the FrSky version.

What do you have installed(er9x or open9x) and what did you use to install it?
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:27 AM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
The switch errors are probably due to a wire coming lose from the switch. The switches almost never fail, but this is naturally a possibility.
Have you opened the radio to fix another problem? The wires from the switches are very short and I pulled off three of them when i fixed my sticking buttons.
nope havent opened at all
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:47 AM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
ok just opened it up....all wires are securely soldered to all switches double and triple checked 2 switches that dont seem to respond the throttle and aileron switches.......they even put a tan colored epoxy over all connections to keep wires from moving it looks like
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:56 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
2,887 Posts
abletowinginc I'm the 3rd person now telling you this..
You probably have the wrong version of the firmware. You can't flash the frsky version if you didn't do the required modification that involves fine soldering to the processor pins..
You will have to load the normal version of the software into the radio, or the 2 switches (THR and AIL) will not work
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
abletowinginc I'm the 3rd person now telling you this..
You probably have the wrong version of the firmware. You can't flash the frsky version if you didn't do the required modification that involves fine soldering to the processor pins..
You will have to load the normal version of the software into the radio, or the 2 switches (THR and AIL) will not work
lol well soooooory i missed that somewhere along the way....ok so if i am going to put the frsky module from hobbyking the plug and play version i have to solder some pins?????what do i need to load to have open9x and use the module that comes with telemetry please bare with me this the first computer radio i have owned before all i had was hkings 6 channel and artechs radios so this is new to me thanks
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:19 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
and im loading the open9x for the stock board i am confused about which boxes to check...some i understand some i do not so not sure if i am loading proper add ons with the check boxes
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
lol well soooooory i missed that somewhere along the way....ok so if i am going to put the frsky module from hobbyking the plug and play version i have to solder some pins?????what do i need to load to have open9x and use the module that comes with telemetry please bare with me this the first computer radio i have owned before all i had was hkings 6 channel and artechs radios so this is new to me thanks
As far as I know you don't have to do any soldering to use that module but the telemetry won't work. If that's good enough for you I think it's plug n play and you might have to set up tx settings.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:26 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,613 Posts
Quote:
The hardware mod in the TX is only if you want to have telemetry displayed on the 9XR's screen. This not a trivial modification. Go to 9xforums.com and read the wiki on the telemetry mod to see if you are up for it. You can just use a Frsky module and a FLD-002 screen to display the telemetry information and that will require no modifications to your TX.

But you must use the standard firmware. The Frsky telemetry version of the software is for the Frsky mod which routes the telemetry information to the pins on the MCU that normally are used by the switches. That's why your switches didn't work. Part of the mod is moving those switches to different pins.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:27 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
2,887 Posts
I assume you're using companion9x to flash the software to the radio.. if you float the mouse over the options you can read a little description of the feature..
You can use the frsky module without doing the mods but you can't have on screen telemetry. you will have the RSSI alarms and voltage (need sensors for voltage) alarms from the frsky module's beeper.
So, without modifying the radio you must not choose frsky. don't check the little box..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Jul 2005
192 Posts
The only reason to solder is to get telemetry information on the radio screen. The module will work fine, but without resoldering some wires you can not display information on the internal screen.
FrSky sells an additional screen that is intended to be mounted on top of the radio. This is the normal way of displaying telemetry information.
dvogonen is online now Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
504 Posts
Quote:
If you're using a telemetry module from Frsky you have four options with the transmitter:
- Rewire the internals of the module AND the transmitter with resistors and cutting and rewiring circuits, then flash the correct FW (with telemetry)
- Rewire the internals of the transmitter only, but you need to add some components/board to run a wire that will plug into the telemetry port of the module. Flash the correct FW (with telemetry)
- Get an external display unit from FrSky and plug it into the module. Flash the non telemetry FW.
- Not use telemetry at all, then just flash the non telemetry FW
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:52 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
ok got it to work i was not using the companion correctly. i unchecked it and the error continued till i figured out what i was doing wrong now i m back to throttle error even when i calibrate sticks but i read about the problem with not pushing the stick too hard and to go up and down not in circles so ill tiner with it see if i can get it thanks to all that helped
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:53 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
So your module fits and clips in both sides? Also my elevator gimbal sticks but seems to un stick if you wiggle it a bit.

My old 9x has been fantastic and i expected the same from this but its far from the quality of that.

In the bin it goes i think. cant rely on the module not falling out.
What module are you using that is not fitting? My FlySky module didn't fit properly at first but fits and works great now and it does snap in on each side. Earlier in this post someone mentioned that the pins in the 9XR module bay are longer than those of the 9X. Pretty quick and simply solution for the FlySky module was to open the module, snap the case in place. Push the circuit board firmly onto the pins. Hot glue the module, trim the stand off pins on the cover and reassemble. FlySky module goes in and out fine now with no pressure on the pins and snaps in all the way.
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member