SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:20 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Santos View Post
I've been reading too many write ups on the features of the Turnigy 9xr but none on flight testing and results using frsky module. Anyone can direct me to any link?

Thanks.
What do you need to know? It will link with the model and fly normally. End of story. All the important differences are apparent on the bench.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:24 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
I received mine today!!!!

I must say, so far, without opening it yet, it is better than I expected.

However, the trim buttons absolutely SUCK , ail. trim right doesnt want to activate most of the time. So do the input buttons, but I have a fix for those Im gonna try. The UP/DN buttons require waaaayyyyy too much force to activate, the others are OK, but I dont like the non-tact feel.

It feels much better than anticipated.

The gimbals, I see no real improvement over the 9X, and one axis rubs a bit somewhere, but I will fix that.

The switches are no better quality than the 9X, they seem identical actually. Will find out when I open it in a few!!

The knob and switch layout kinda sucks. Especially the knobs, but I knew that. At least 2 of them should be accessible without taking thumbs of sticks IMHO.

So far its better than I expected. However, it does leave a LOT to be desired. Maybe they will listen to the "people" since its the "peoples" radio and make a few minor changes. ......OK, comedy hour is over....

BTW, the 3S 1900 FLAT PACK FROM VALUE HOBBY FITS JUST FINE
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Last edited by KKUSA; Jan 10, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:59 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
However, the trim buttons absolutely SUCK , ail. trim right doesnt want to activate most of the time. So do the input buttons, but I have a fix for those Im gonna try. The UP/DN buttons require waaaayyyyy too much force to activate, the others are OK, but I dont like the non-tact feel.
Mine does that too. In fact you have to press up so hard, it distorts the LCD. The right aileron trim is duff on mine. I've pulled it apart and can't see anything wrong.

Quote:
The gimbals, I see no real improvement over the 9X, and one axis rubs a bit somewhere, but I will fix that.
Mine was rubbing in the spring area from a bit of moulding flash - which was catching the spring and causing the squeaking:

I used a sharp knife blade to cut off the excess and make that area flat. Now it works fine. I also put a bit of grease (well Vaseline) on the gimbal cams which makes the feel much nicer.

Quote:
The knob and switch layout kinda sucks. Especially the knobs, but I knew that. At least 2 of them should be accessible without taking thumbs of sticks IMHO.
I agree. I can't move the right knob without catching the 3-way switch!

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:15 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWarmedUp View Post
In time, I hope the guys will think about doing a redesign to fit the 9XR
Don't hold your breath waiting for it -- Unless a new group of modders emerges.

If my 9XR ever gets here I'm only going to use it for BNF - -- if I like it -- if not then I'll sell it or give it away.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
Total Newbie
United Kingdom, England, Loughborough
Joined Dec 2012
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
If my 9XR ever gets here I'm only going to use it for BNF - -- if I like it -- if not then I'll sell it or give it away.
If you're giving it away....can I be the first on the list....

I call dibs on it everybody
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Mine does that too. In fact you have to press up so hard, it distorts the LCD. The right aileron trim is duff on mine. I've pulled it apart and can't see anything wrong.

Mine was rubbing in the spring area from a bit of moulding flash - which was catching the spring and causing the squeaking:

I used a sharp knife blade to cut off the excess and make that area flat. Now it works fine. I also put a bit of grease (well Vaseline) on the gimbal cams which makes the feel much nicer.

I agree. I can't move the right knob without catching the 3-way switch!

Si.
The conductive polymer buttons have GOT TO GO!!!!! Even the trim buttons. I have some really low profile tact switches that I'm going to see if I can mod in. I think they will work out fine. My right aileron trim essentially doesnt work at all. Thats funny as the 9X, even though it uses tact switches instead of the conductive polymer pad type, had this issue as well. I didnt have to push the 9X one as hard though.

The rubbing was indeed a piece of flash, but it didnt rub the spring. Thats fixed!! I lubed the cams/detents with some Hater Sauce (lube for paintball guns), and they feel a "bit" better.

The 3 way switch is horrible. The middle position is OK, but the two outer positions have almost NO DETENT and they are very easy to knock out of position. You can almost blow on it and get it back to center. Its that weak!! After a little wear, especially since this is going to be the most used switch, its going to get pretty crummy. I may have to replace that right away. The 2 rear switches will undoubtedly get broken very easily. They are just too "out there".

They are going to HAVE to get rid of the conductive polymer buttons and go with tact switches. No question about it.....just do it!!! This should be an easy change. Just use low force to activate switches go they dont have the lousy feel of the 9X. Also, get rid of the plating on the buttons, this will wear quickly and look like a$$. Just make them black with a slightly different texture than the case.

Mine has the molding flaws as well, but they are not as bad as the others that posted. If the spark erosion finish was actually proper, they would be invisible.

The spark erosion finish is rather poor, and it has the appearance of a part with this finish thats been handled a lot and has begun to wear.

The tension on the sticks in not adjustable. W-T-F!!!! Even the crummiest radios I've seen have adjustable tension. Thats pretty shatty!! They arent bad, and have quite a bit of tension as I like it, but could be a little less.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:08 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Some interesting listings on e-bay

One guy has a nice package for $219 +20 shipping

9XR
Battery
FrSky module and receiver
Radio Case
Programmer

Sure he is getting a premium for the package but he has put it all together for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turnigy-9XR-...item3f20865201

Says he is shipping out of USA for all you guys who are just dying to get one.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:11 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
If you're giving it away....can I be the first on the list....

I call dibs on it everybody
If you are a minor interested in RC at our club you will qualify. I won't even give away to adults because if they don't have the priorities or cash to afford their own -- this is the wrong hobby for them -- but a kid.... That's different altogether.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Some interesting listings on e-bay

One guy has a nice package for $219 +20 shipping

9XR
Battery
FrSky module and receiver
Radio Case
Programmer

Sure he is getting a premium for the package but he has put it all together for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turnigy-9XR-...item3f20865201

Says he is shipping out of USA for all you guys who are just dying to get one.
Thats been on there since the day the 9XR was released.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
991 Posts
Quote:
The conductive polymer buttons have GOT TO GO!!!!! Even the trim buttons. I have some really low profile tact switches that I'm going to see if I can mod in. I think they will work out fine. My right aileron trim essentially doesnt work at all. Thats funny as the 9X, even though it uses tact switches instead of the conductive polymer pad type, had this issue as well. I didnt have to push the 9X one as hard though.

The rubbing was indeed a piece of flash, but it didnt rub the spring. Thats fixed!! I lubed the cams/detents with some Hater Sauce (lube for paintball guns), and they feel a "bit" better.

The 3 way switch is horrible. The middle position is OK, but the two outer positions have almost NO DETENT and they are very easy to knock out of position. You can almost blow on it and get it back to center. Its that weak!! After a little wear, especially since this is going to be the most used switch, its going to get pretty crummy. I may have to replace that right away. The 2 rear switches will undoubtedly get broken very easily. They are just too "out there".

They are going to HAVE to get rid of the conductive polymer buttons and go with tact switches. No question about it.....just do it!!! This should be an easy change. Just use low force to activate switches go they dont have the lousy feel of the 9X. Also, get rid of the plating on the buttons, this will wear quickly and look like a$$. Just make them black with a slightly different texture than the case.

Mine has the molding flaws as well, but they are not as bad as the others that posted. If the spark erosion finish was actually proper, they would be invisible.

The spark erosion finish is rather poor, and it has the appearance of a part with this finish thats been handled a lot and has begun to wear.

The tension on the sticks in not adjustable. W-T-F!!!! Even the crummiest radios I've seen have adjustable tension. Thats pretty shatty!! They arent bad, and have quite a bit of tension as I like it, but could be a little less.
My 3-way switch isn't that bad. Still easy to knock across, but not completely loose. I agree about the spark erosion, its pretty poor. The dimple features on the back have marks around them, the menu button area has imperfections, even the chrome finish has spots underneath it. However for the price, I can put up with moulding imperfections there.

The 4-way rocker button isn't that well designed. It needs support posts to only allow the button to be pushed one way. If I push in the corner of one of the buttons, it will push the button next to it too.

I noticed the lack of tension adjustment too. Does the 9x have adjustable tension?

I've just tried flashing my radio with open9x and er9x - however it appears to not be reading the throttle and aileron switch properly? They're stuck on. Is this a known issue?

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:36 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post

I've just tried flashing my radio with open9x and er9x - however it appears to not be reading the throttle and aileron switch properly? They're stuck on. Is this a known issue?

Si.
There are several reports of er9x and open9x working just fine on the 9XR. You've checked the switches and they are working fine with the stock firmware?
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:38 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
There are several reports of er9x and open9x working just fine on the 9XR. You've checked the switches and they are working fine with the stock firmware?
Yup worked before I flashed the radio.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:42 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
You installed the frsky version of the firmware. install the plain er9x and the switches will work fine.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
The conductive polymer buttons have GOT TO GO!!!!! Even the trim buttons.
uh..oh.. looks like my predictions of elastomer contact failure are coming true sooner than expected. even my top of the line sony remote worked for 2 years before they started flaking out. now after 3 yrs they dont work at all if room temp drops below 60 deg no matter what. same for my x10 controller. there are fixes but not really worth the trouble.

yay hk!
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:06 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
You installed the frsky version of the firmware. install the plain er9x and the switches will work fine.
Ah cheers. I installed it as I was going to hack in the Frsky telemetry.

I guess it uses the uart which is connected to those two switches? Why doesn't it use the uart on the ISP connector?

Si.
RCG Plus Member