HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:18 AM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Mode 1 9XR's stock is 14 so they won't be there for long. Although they restocked em pretty quick last time
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:47 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumax View Post
I find you dont even need to read a manual to use stock firmware, its too simple and you could do basically everything a normal plane or helicopter needs.
Your kidding right? Here's a test: try (without Googling) to set up flaps in three positions with the three position switch. It can be done, though would be almost impossible to work out yourself.

But there are many things that can't be done with the stock firmware. If all you want to do is fly a four channel plane with no other settings than expo/dual rates it is alright (just) but after that is a pain in the neck. Probably the only benefit is that, due to it being around for so long and so popular, there is a lot of information on how to set up options on the internet.

Cheers
Brett

P.S. Of course you found it easier to setup stuff without looking at the manual - the manual is terrible!!!
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
Your kidding right? Here's a test: try (without Googling) to set up flaps in three positions with the three position switch. It can be done, though would be almost impossible to work out yourself.

But there are many things that can't be done with the stock firmware. If all you want to do is fly a four channel plane with no other settings than expo/dual rates it is alright (just) but after that is a pain in the neck. Probably the only benefit is that, due to it being around for so long and so popular, there is a lot of information on how to set up options on the internet.

Cheers
Brett

P.S. Of course you found it easier to setup stuff without looking at the manual - the manual is terrible!!!
I did say normal stuff right? The problem here is most people like you Mr. Brett are after arguments. I didnt say you can do all the mixing in the world or anything like that, I just said you can do all sorts of normal stuff and that its pretty simple to use.

P.S I didnt say I found it easier I said the settings are so simple I find you dont need the manual...
volumax is offline Find More Posts by volumax
Last edited by volumax; Jan 09, 2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: .
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:12 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
The problems with many manuals is they only give you a vague 'hand-waving-in-the-general-direction' type idea of how to do something. The advantage of such manuals is that at least they give you a vague idea, which is a damned sight more than you'd often have without it!
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:04 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Just my 2 cents -- but as an owner / user of all of the above -- Smartie v 2.0 2.2 2.3 telemetryEZ, 9x 9XR, running open9x, er9x, stock, having done a wide variety of modes some are nearly unique to me -- such as futaba HD springs in 9x gimbals -- I also own current model Futaba FASST and Spektrum radios. -

In my experience - you can't do better today than a TG9x with FrSKY DJT, sky9x board running open9x - mine has 16Gb flash drive, 60 model memory on the ARM Cortex 3.0 - on screen telemetry, (next one will have two screen telemetry) Audio that's LOUD, or headphone jack, hapatic that will massage your hands -- It's just the cat's meow IM MY EXPERIENCE.

. The biggest downside to this is the 9x gimbals and the 9XR did not change that -- in fact they have some new issues.

WILL somebody PLEASE make some quality 9x gimbals and listen the the cash register ring!! I'll take half dozen pair right now!
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:25 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
One thing no one is mentioning when talking about moving from a dx6i to a stock 9x and orange module is that it won't work with the micro planes and helis. If you fly those and get a 9x you will have to mod it and put er9x or open9x on it. You would also have to change the servo and esc connections on all of your planes. The channel order of the stock 9x is AETR and the dx6i is TAER. With the stock 9x firmware you can't change the order.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:29 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
One thing no one is mentioning when talking about moving from a dx6i to a stock 9x and orange module is that it won't work with the micro planes and helis. If you fly those and get a 9x you will have to mod it and put er9x or open9x on it. You would also have to change the servo and esc connections on all of your planes. The channel order of the stock 9x is AETR and the dx6i is TAER. With the stock 9x firmware you can't change the order.
Apparently that was fixed before the second batch was made. Anyway it is not a issue now!
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:48 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumax View Post
I did say normal stuff right? The problem here is most people like you Mr. Brett are after arguments. I didnt say you can do all the mixing in the world or anything like that, I just said you can do all sorts of normal stuff and that its pretty simple to use.
The only thing that is easy is the very basic stuff, like the example I gave before (4 channel plane with expo/dual rates). There is lots of "normal" stuff that it can do but is very hard, and there are lots of "normal" stuff it just can't do. One of the "normal" things it cant do is to set up dual rates for ailerons, elevator, rudder on one switch - instead you need to flick three switches to adjust the dual rates for everything.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:58 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycoldface View Post
So say, I just sold my Dx6i and am now looking to get the next TX would you recommend going with 9x or 9xr? Budget is my only constraint. I already own some orange rx but don't mind switching to flysky rx. I prefer not to tinker much with my TX if possible.
If you need something immediately, the 9x will get you flying quicker.

If you can wait for the 9xr with DSM module, then I would wait and compare the price of the 9x + new Rx to the 9xr with included DSM module.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:01 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
I would get a 9X or 9XR, and get the $30 ORX DSMX module, so you can still use your ORX receivers, up to 8 CH.
With the caveat that with the 9x you will have to desolder the included module, that's a good idea also.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:07 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
From the 9x owners, is the stock firmware that bad? If I found dx6i enough for my current need, will I find the 9x stock firmware enough too? or flashing with er9x is almost mandatory?

For now I'm not big on modding but I know I will do something in the future, so of course like pilotavery said I want to save in the long run too.

I know, it just felt like I betrayed someone I love dearly!!
It is terrible compared to er9x, but I used it for about 1.5 years and was able to do everything I needed. After a while the weirdnesses grow on you, kind of like having some weird collectors car. :-)

If you're like me, you will panic the first time you turn it on and get SWITCH ERROR, and spend half an evening googling how to key in a model name.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:07 AM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Recieved my 9XR radio tonight. I like it a lot. Its very nice, nice feel in the hands, the light is nice, the sticks feel good, all in all very impressed for $50.

I did have a little issue though, I unplugged my FRSKY module from my 9X and I went to plug it into the 9XR, and I think I left the power on by accident and all of a sudden POOF, little bit of white smoke was coming out of the module. It appears I have fried the module as it wont light up anymore. Anyone experience this? Is it just the fact that I left the power on and went to plug it in that it caused this smoke fry??? As I was setting the module in place maybe I misaligned the pins to the holes and got the polarity crossed?? This seriously sucks but luckily its only a $30 problem. I am just hoping that the module bay isnt fried as well. The 9XR appears perfectly fine otherwise.
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:08 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Mark,
It was actually a great help. I have always been a silent reader on RCG and from what I gather, people hate the stock firmware so much that i feel the need to flash it right away. Knowing that the basics still work fine helps, i can always do the mods in the future when my gf gets off my back for spending so much on this hobby haha.
Do what I did, express interest in buying and fixing up a 70's muscle car. Then toy planes start to look a lot cheaper!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:36 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13 View Post
Recieved my 9XR radio tonight. I like it a lot. Its very nice, nice feel in the hands, the light is nice, the sticks feel good, all in all very impressed for $50.

I did have a little issue though, I unplugged my FRSKY module from my 9X and I went to plug it into the 9XR, and I think I left the power on by accident and all of a sudden POOF, little bit of white smoke was coming out of the module. It appears I have fried the module as it wont light up anymore. Anyone experience this? Is it just the fact that I left the power on and went to plug it in that it caused this smoke fry??? As I was setting the module in place maybe I misaligned the pins to the holes and got the polarity crossed?? This seriously sucks but luckily its only a $30 problem. I am just hoping that the module bay isnt fried as well. The 9XR appears perfectly fine otherwise.
So you plugged in the module while the 9XR was powered on? I didn't know that could fubar the module.
Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:08 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
The only thing that is easy is the very basic stuff, like the example I gave before (4 channel plane with expo/dual rates). There is lots of "normal" stuff that it can do but is very hard, and there are lots of "normal" stuff it just can't do. One of the "normal" things it cant do is to set up dual rates for ailerons, elevator, rudder on one switch - instead you need to flick three switches to adjust the dual rates for everything.
I actually preferred the separate dual rates because it allowed me to have 8 different options to allow for current flying style. Going fast I would normally leave the aile at high and ele at low but at slow economical speeds I would have aile low and ele high and rudder depended on what I felt like at the time.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond