HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post

overall
-if you compare the basic model of the 9x and the 9xr, there is no comparison. the 9xr is a better radio and is better equiped when both are brand new.
-the 9x with mods is a decent/better/more developed radio compared to the basic 9xr. but then we are not comparing apples to apples. give it some time for mods and boards to be developed for the 9xr and Im sure the 9xr will be better.
-if you have a modified 9x keep it and only buy the 9xr if you want the looks and the internal antenna. saying about the internal antena theres probably someone doing exacly that for the 9x...

convinced yet?
Nope. So here it is:

I'm new to this, I can do electronics and mechanical, I want to mod (even beyond the one already existing).

I'm looking for a starting base, no previous "baggage" like module or battery. Also for me hacking the software is a given for both, so no point for either base software or difference.
So considering that the starting price is identical ($50) here is the analysis:

9XR:
Requires basic modding to straighten out design flaws:
- Battery plug (wire always bent and rubbing on cover) and plug longevity: I like your idea btw, simple yet effective, and one can have a series of connecting extensions with different plugs.
- Gimbals: movement of wire and connectors, needs improvement at least, dificulty to put spring and arm on left gimbal, cannot set spring tension apparently. Good point: ball bearings
- Module with antenna: requires mod if not plain antenna as it doesn't fit (see few posts back). Most likely remake of case with a "groove"
Then onto differences:
- Not much room inside
- Switches too far forward it seems
- No processor advantage (i.e. requires same mods for many things (e.g. telemetry at least) and same memory and what not)
- Soft crappy buttons for menu etc.

Good points:
- Programming plug and backlight already installed
- Big battery bay but cannot accept AA as is
- Has 2 mounting holes (3mm) for accessories
- Two trainer ports (FPV, other use)
- 12V port (can be used for charging !?!? maybe, but can be modded for power supply access of externals)
- Some would say inside antenna, but not for me, it offers less flexibility (change of antenna, directionality (vert or horizontal)) so to me it's a drawback.
- MAYBE: better build quality, but not convinced so far.

9X:
- Requires purchase and soldering of programming plug
- Requires purchase and installing backlight
- Requires module/antenna mod
- Requires battery plug mod most likely
- Requires trainer port mod

Good Points:
- Can have a receiver (8) and module for just another $5
- Hard buttons for menu/navigation
- Easier to mod gimbals, but no bearing
- Has metal bar to attach things, and protect module antenna
- Has room inside
- Battery flexibility (relative point, could go either way)
- Been thoroughly tested, both in basic design and mods.
- Simpler lines (a subjective point, but I like easier to keep clean)
- (temporary advantage?) Can use the ersky9x board as upgrade

So far it seems to me like 9X is better for my purpose. Not fully convinced yet, but leaning that way. Also considering that all mods for 9X may not work on 9XR but all mods for 9XR may work on 9X.

However comparing "apple to apple" it seems not so much of an advantage. If I already had a modded 9x, that would be a no brainer indeed.
If I didn't want to tinker at all, then 9XR is a serious contender, but how far would that really go considering that some issues may affect reliability and may need tinkering after all (gimbal wires and connectors, battery wires and connector, soft menu buttons)
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:12 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
-Stock 9x board
-Upgraded with er9x firmware....... used with the 9XR if you can find room for it inside
Danke sehr!
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:16 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
Dave's got a super easy way to add telemetry but I don't think he's ever shown anyone how to do it.
lol! im so glad you keep reminding me. steven, reacher, and the rest of "core group" have given up. ill put a thread up on it... Real Soon Now.

to be exact what i said was "ITS POSSIBLE TO IMPLEMENT FIRMWARE UPDATE AND TELEMETRY WITH NO HARDWARE MODS AT ALL". i did explain how on a couple of occasions but will repeat for those that missed it. the trainer port is a perfectly acceptable access method for updating firmware via arduino (optiboot) type bootloader. no mosi meeso myso ran up the clock at all. no "microsurgery" on mcu pins with or w/o transistors. same thing for telemetry. ignored and probably not on the agenda for er9x developers due to emotional and technical issues.

i have demo code working now but thought it might be nice to dress it up a bit with some ST7565P code because i know you guys are more easily impressed with pretty screens. if that is not up and running soon ill post what i have which definitely shows its possible. i think the more technical members already know this from my hints.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:22 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,573 Posts
Ahh, ok, so you don't re-route the switches.. which means you can't use them when receiving telemetry..
The switches woiuld have to be re-routed to pins 41 and 42 of the atmega. the ones at the top that have no pad or track, as shown in the picture. So the wires have to be soldered directly to them..
I just wrote this so people can understand what we are talking about.
The TelemetrEZ will allow to have telemetry without soldering to those pins as it re-routes the switches to itself and sends the information to the radio's CPU together with the telemetry information by serial connection.. So if some soldering is needed, it will be exactly on the same easy pads where you soldered your telemetry connection. I agree that is much easier not having to solder to the pins, and still keeping full funcionallity of the switches.
The T-EZ will also handle a rotary encoder and if I'm not mistaken there's a possibility to add an eeprom to it for data storage, among other possibilities..
Please note that I'm not in favour or against anything but if there are some products that can help people to have some nice features that they wouldn't otherwise due to the complexity of the mod, then of course I will recommend it. I think many 9XR users could benefit from this board, but Seven would probably have to adapt it to this radio
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:23 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Nov 2008
830 Posts
So say, I just sold my Dx6i and am now looking to get the next TX would you recommend going with 9x or 9xr? Budget is my only constraint. I already own some orange rx but don't mind switching to flysky rx. I prefer not to tinker much with my TX if possible.
nguyen.tran is offline Find More Posts by nguyen.tran
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:25 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
lol! im so glad you keep reminding me. steven, reacher, and the rest of "core group" have given up. ill put a thread up on it... Real Soon Now.

to be exact what i said was "ITS POSSIBLE TO IMPLEMENT FIRMWARE UPDATE AND TELEMETRY WITH NO HARDWARE MODS AT ALL". i did explain how on a couple of occasions but will repeat for those that missed it. the trainer port is a perfectly acceptable access method for updating firmware via arduino (optiboot) type bootloader. no mosi meeso myso ran up the clock at all. no "microsurgery" on mcu pins with or w/o transistors. same thing for telemetry. ignored and probably not on the agenda for er9x developers due to emotional and technical issues.

i have demo code working now but thought it might be nice to dress it up a bit with some ST7565P code because i know you guys are more easily impressed with pretty screens. if that is not up and running soon ill post what i have which definitely shows its possible. i think the more technical members already know this from my hints.
Assuming there was room for a bootloader (which is not the case) you would still have to put it in there somehow, which would mean connecting to "mosi meeso myso" at least once
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:26 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
It is true that the pins that are used for telemetry data go to other components, but in order to use them you have to rewire the switches that are normally connected to them.
as i mentioned in my post its only one switch and as long as its off for telemetry no problemo. considering how many extra switches there are (far more than channels available to assign) its not a big deal to dedicate one to telemetry. dont forget... for telemetry there is no need for the 9x/9xr to talk to the dht so half the existing mods serve no purpose anyway.

and if you really are one of those 1% that need all the swtches then feel free to cut that trace. personally i have no need for any of them. yet.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:30 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Assuming there was room for a bootloader (which is not the case) you would still have to put it in there somehow, which would mean connecting to "mosi meeso myso" at least once
correct. all 512 bytes if you actually use one of westfw or tom carpenters official optiboot versions. mine takes half that (256 bytes for math challenged). btw those are bytes, not instructions. im sure mikeb could never free up a whole 256 words (lol!).

as far as "mosi meeso myso" thats why god put little morehouses on the earth. or 9xr now that they are extinct.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Dec 2002
17,099 Posts
Telemetry data is only one way, but I think you need the second connection if you want to be able to set alarm levels from the 9X.
Could be redundant though, since I think you could simply set the 9X to generate the alarms?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:31 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycoldface View Post
So say, I just sold my Dx6i and am now looking to get the next TX would you recommend going with 9x or 9xr? Budget is my only constraint. I already own some orange rx but don't mind switching to flysky rx. I prefer not to tinker much with my TX if possible.
The dx6i is a good radio and works well with OrangeRX. I think many people would recommend FrSky over FlySky for module and receivers though. What are you looking for in a new radio that you didn't have in your dx6i? That could help with the decision. From this forum, you might have gathered that the 9x has many well documented reliable mod's, but in fact may need them 'out of the box' to do what you are looking for. On the other hand, the 9xr is immature, but may not need any mod's for what you want to do.
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:33 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
806 Posts
Quote:
aha... still not fastened properly with screws but the principle is the same. shorten those "standoffs" and the connector should not protrude and cause trouble. i have a bud with one from ali but none of mine are. looks like with the radio there are variations in module design too. maybe standoffs are better than glue? idk. but i would like to see a closeup of yours.
Will post pic when new module arrives. Thank you for your input! Truly appreciated.
TechJunkieRC is online now Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Beaver Skis
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:37 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Nov 2008
830 Posts
My Dx6i fell and damaged the potentiometers and because I'm not good with soldering, I got rid of it, thinking I'd wait for the 9xr. But then they released the 9xr without module or battery, and it's constantly on BK so I figure I might just go with 9x.

Basically I'm happy with my Dx6i, I'm a parkflyer and as you can tell not a hardcore modder. So i prefer something that works with my foamie and mini quad right out of the box. I might go into a little FPV in the future but don't think I'm gonna invest a huge amount in that. I'm pretty attached to DSM2/DSMX just because hobbyking sells the cheap rx knockoffs, so I'm happy to switch to other type as long as they are cheap and work fine.
nguyen.tran is offline Find More Posts by nguyen.tran
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:39 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Telemetry data is only one way, but I think you need the second connection if you want to be able to set alarm levels from the 9X.
Could be redundant though, since I think you could simply set the 9X to generate the alarms?
I think er9x can handle all the alarms now, right?
But then the second connection, and with the arrival of the new frsky modules, could maybe be used to send data to the plane, correct??
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:45 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Ahh, ok, so you don't re-route the switches.. which means you can't use them when receiving telemetry..
well... as i just explained to pat there is only one switch involved and you dont really HAVE to re-route it. like i said dedicating one switch out of 7 to telemetry leaves a half dozen others for whatever devious plans youve concocted. most of the guys i know dont use any switches and the couple that do are happy with 2 or 3.

bottom line. its possible to implememnt software update and telemetry in a 9x/9xr w/o any hardware mods. admittedly not likely to become commonplace due to resistance from mainstream developers (not to mention any names).
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:49 PM
Joined Dec 2002
17,099 Posts
Quote:
well... as i just explained to pat there is only one switch involved and you dont really HAVE to re-route it. like i said dedicating one switch out of 7 to telemetry leaves a half dozen others for whatever devious plans youve concocted. most of the guys i know dont use any switches and the couple that do are happy with 2 or 3.

bottom line. its possible to implememnt software update and telemetry in a 9x/9xr w/o any hardware mods. admittedly not likely to become commonplace due to resistance from mainstream developers (not to mention any names).

"Build it and they will come"

No one is stopping you from implementing this. The "core" programmers just picked up the ball and ran with it.