SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:31 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
i thought the frsky had arm and no er9x so looks like that was correct.
Yes, FrSky radios use ARM-based STM32 chips. Porting of open9x and likely also ersky9x is ongoing.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:36 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
The culprit is the module, not in pins.
A good designed module should use an open connector, i.e. able to allow pass through of pins of any length.
The more I thought about it the more I wondered about maybe just this module having an issue. The pins, however are definitely not pass through. When the new one comes I am hopeful it will work correctly. I wondered if somehow the pins didn't open the connector but jammed against one side and caused the initial problem.
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TechJunkieRC; Jan 08, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:41 PM
Gone Flying
Joined Dec 2012
800 Posts
Quote:
on all 3 of my flysky modules the female connector is flush or even slightly recessed. two are from hk 9x radios and the other is from a hobbypartz 9x. this might indicate your module is the fault. is it one of the aliexpress modules?

imo no matter what the damaged one can be fixed even if it takes a new connector, wire, and high strength epoxy.
Yes from aliexpress. Is there some known issue with the modules sold there? It appeared to be a real FlySky module but I guess I have no way to know that for sure other than the sticker on it.

I just decided to order another one. The connector was definitely not flush or slightly recessed. It extends beyond the case.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Beaver Skis
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:45 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwilson View Post
I think if you look here you'll see how the TelemetryEZ board is hooked up to the 9X
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...age=page&id=19
ahhh... as i thought. telemetrees requires either pogo pins or soldering:

Quote:
If you don't have a SmartieParts board at all, then solder the left and right wires to MISO and MOSI on the 9x directly
it looks like a wise decision to pass as tacking on two wires for standard frsky upgrade is not only easier but 100x cheaper.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:49 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
it looks like a wise decision to pass as tacking on two wires for standard frsky upgrade is not only easier but 100x cheaper.
Soldering to CPU pins is easier than soldering on nice big pads?
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:10 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkieRC View Post
Yes from aliexpress. Is there some known issue with the modules sold there? It appeared to be a real FlySky module but I guess I have no way to know that for sure other than the sticker on it.

I just decided to order another one. The connector was definitely not flush or slightly recessed. It extends beyond the case.
mystery solved.

after seing crucials pics i got curious and cracked mine open again.
as i remembered the board is simply glued in place and not fastened by screws etc.. this is exactly why some like yours and crucials protrude. the glue on mine was broke loose so i could work on attaching the antenna which explains why mine is recessed.

solution is simple. open the case and pull the board up so it dont damage the connector with the longer 9xr pins. you can then glue it back in the proper place or just leave it floating like i did. mine fits into a dozen or so different radios no problem.

you might be able to make out the hole that has been keyed so radios like v911 that use cable instead of bay cant be plugged in wrong.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:12 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Soldering to CPU pins is easier than soldering on nice big pads?
ive upgrades a dozen or so radios so far and never soldered to a cpu pin yet. much easier to tack onto pcb pads or better still the switches. im always amazed at the silly lengths some (all?) go to when upgrading for flashing or telemetry. specially that "no transistor" mod.

ive also installed a few of stevens boards and must say it takes much longer to do than tacking on the wires. of course, heaven forbid, theres no soldering involved. lol!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
Seriously, you have on screen telemetry on your 9XR?
Not yet, but I will soon. Open9X is already established to work, and with a bit of soldering and a TelemetrEZ with some modded pinouts should work.

Oh, and it was a joke to the one I replied to. It's not for sale yet anyway!
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:32 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,534 Posts
Dave where do you solder the wires for the telemetry mod if you don't solder to the pins of the atmega 64 to re-route the 2 switches?? I think there are no pads on those pins. Now you got me scratching my head

Also when on my earlier post I spoke about the TelemetrEZ, I think I never mentioned that was a complete solderless solution.. I probably said it was an easier solution, or something similar.. I'm not going to check what I wrote though. Can't be bothered
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:36 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Dave where do you solder the wires for the telemetry mod if you don't solder to the pins of the atmega 64 to re-route the 2 switches?? I think there are no pads on those pins. Now you got me scratching my head

Also when on my earlier post I spoke about the TelemetrEZ, I think I never mentioned that was a complete solderless solution.. I probably said it was an easier solution, or something similar.. I'm not going to check what I wrote though. Can't be bothered
Dave's got a super easy way to add telemetry but I don't think he's ever shown anyone how to do it.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:39 PM
Gone Flying
Joined Dec 2012
800 Posts
Quote:
mystery solved.

after seing crucials pics i got curious and cracked mine open again.
as i remembered the board is simply glued in place and not fastened by screws etc.. this is exactly why some like yours and crucials protrude. the glue on mine was broke loose so i could work on attaching the antenna which explains why mine is recessed.

solution is simple. open the case and pull the board up so it dont damage the connector with the longer 9xr pins. you can then glue it back in the proper place or just leave it floating like i did. mine fits into a dozen or so different radios no problem.

you might be able to make out the hole that has been keyed so radios like v911 that use cable instead of bay cant be plugged in wrong.
The flysky module circuit board was not glued. There were plastic stand off legs on the cover that pushed against the circuit board to hold it firmly in place. When removing the cover the pressure is removed and the circuit board would just fall out.

Was the question about the module being from AliExpress just out of knowledge that they sell them or is there some known issue with the modules they sell?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Beaver Skis
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:47 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
aha... still not fastened properly with screws but the principle is the same. shorten those "standoffs" and the connector should not protrude and cause trouble. i have a bud with one from ali but none of mine are. looks like with the radio there are variations in module design too. maybe standoffs are better than glue? idk. but i would like to see a closeup of yours.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:57 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
all pins go to either pads, switches, or other components so there is never a need to solder to the m64 directly. what might be confusing you is the 200ohm issue. usually a cut is made but in my case is i prefer instead to simply keep that particular switch in a safe position during telemetry. i dont really use any of those switches myself and doing w/o one of the half dozen or so extras should inconvenience few.

I probably said there was an easier solution, or something similar.. I'm not going to check what I wrote though. Can't be bothered
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:06 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
Quote:
all pins go to either pads, switches, or other components so there is never a need to solder to the m64 directly. what might be confusing you is the 200ohm issue. usually a cut is made but in my case is i prefer instead to simply keep that particular switch in a safe position during telemetry. i dont really use any of those switches myself and doing w/o one of the half dozen or so extras should not inconvenience anybody.

I probably said there was an easier solution, or something similar.. I'm not going to check what I wrote though. Can't be bothered
It is true that the pins that are used for telemetry data go to other components, but in order to use them you have to rewire the switches that are normally connected to them.
And to do that you use pins that have nothing connected to them, so you have to solder directly to the MCU.

If you don't rewire the switches then when you install the FrSky version of the firmware toggling them will result in nothing happening at all.
So you won't be able to use those two switches in the mixes. (Nothing other than possibly corrupting the telemetry data)

Wiring directly to the MCU is done out of necessity, not because they guys who worked on this feature were not clever enough to do it another way.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Last edited by pmackenzie; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Wrong switches
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:08 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
This might not be the place but I'm only trying to help so please don't take it the wrong way.

I came across a mod on Youtube for replacing the original 9x antenna with an SMA connector, it took some searching to find the proper parts so here they are with a bit of explanation (but it should be pretty self explanatory).

First of all, open the casing and remove the original 9x antenna from the inside (it's quite easy), then desolder the coax connector inside the original module if you want to reuse it (I have a few FlySky CT6B rx's that it works perfectly with)

I then cut the cable from this RP-SMA female plug center to RP-SMA female nut bulkhead RG316 cable jumper 50CM in half and pulled it through the casing (drilled a small hole). I then soldered it to this connector RP-SMA male jack center right angle crimp RG174 RG316 LMR100 RF connector which gives you a bit of room to play with as not all modules have their antenna connector on the top.

After that I cut the pigtail off this: RP-SMA female plug center nut bulkhead to IPX U.fl 1.13 pigtail cable 20cm and soldered the coax connection inside the standard 9x module.

This then allows you to swap between Corona, FrSky, FlySky modules. You still need an antenna to put on the 9x of course but they're easily available on HK (I got both a 5db and 11db)
absolutely...

You know I just realized that I'm a complete dumbass last night. Here I am thinking I wish I had a 9XR so can swap modules when all I had to do was buy the same modules for my 9X and swap them. I don't even care about keeping the FlySky module. All I have to do is buy the Orange Rx module and the FrSky module and I'm ready to go right? That's what I'll be doing. I'm already running Er9x anyways.

THe only thing I was waiting for was a Spektrum compatible module and it has been invented and iterated once already. Now that I have nothing else to wait for, I went ahead and ordered the OrangeRx one from HK and I'll be getting the FrSky stuff from Aloft. Problem solved.

I'll buy the 9XR V2 when it comes out just for Ss and Gs
Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Last edited by Var.; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:13 PM.