HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV_Noob View Post
I have a 9X at the moment. Should I look at replacing it with the 9XR? I have set mine up so I can use the module bay so not sure that is a big selling point for me. Buy the 9XR or just stick with the 9X for now?
If you already have a programmer installed, there is really no advantage to the 9XR. Better gimbals? Maybe.

There is little room in the case for upgrades and the handle doesn't protect current module antennas. If new modules using the internal antenna appear and they work well- maybe.

If my 9x died, I'd replace it with another 9x. In time, the 9XR may become a better system. A few simple changes could improve it greatly. At the moment, it isn't a big enough improvement over a 9x.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:26 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,578 Posts
in any radio, even a toy one, you should be drilling stuff to change modes
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:33 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp View Post
From reading those posts it looks like this may only effect those that want to use head trackers.
it could affect pretty much everyone that use the trainer port..
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:45 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
Nope... Some soldering tools and skills required, as well as a screwdriver and extra servo wire.

It's pretty hard, which is what we were complaining about before.
It seems ironic that after years of complaining about radios that were not at all easy to change between modes (like the DX7 and JR X9503), we had in the 9x (with whatever firmware) one that was easily changed among all four modes.

Now we have in the 9XR a big step backwards.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:49 AM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
There are some new pictures of the boards and connectors posted on the HK 9XR mode 2 page under "files".

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Module_.html
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:49 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
in any radio, even a toy one, you should be drilling stuff to change modes
Do you want to explain a bit?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:31 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPER2384 View Post
Why should it be so hard to change from mode 1 to 2?
That plastic pin must have gotten in there somehow, so it must probably come out somehow!
My 9XR is unfortunately still on the Way but I ordered a Mode 2 because they were in stock the time I ordered and I fly Mode 3 so the Spring will change itīs Place even if I have to drill it out and replace it on the other side!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
in any radio, even a toy one, you should NOT be drilling stuff to change modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Do you want to explain a bit?
Understand now?
I thought my post was just under the one I wanted to answer and I normally don't quote a post just above mine.. But this one involved also a page change
I also corrected what I said. sorry, language barrier. I meant that we shouldn't have to do any big mods to change modes, even if the radio is just a toy radio..
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:39 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2006
569 Posts
i have been following this thread for a while and have 2 big questions:
1--how good/bad are the ergonomics compared with the 9x
2-- how good/bad are the gimbals compared with 9x
(on both of my 9x they are ok but nowhere near my old optic 6)
jaas75 is offline Find More Posts by jaas75
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaas75 View Post
i have been following this thread for a while and have 2 big questions:
1--how good/bad are the ergonomics compared with the 9x
2-- how good/bad are the gimbals compared with 9x
(on both of my 9x they are ok but nowhere near my old optic 6)
That is really down to personal preference so everyone will have differing views the only way you will find out for sure is to get your hands on one.
The gimbals on my 9XR definitely feel better than the ones on my 9x's but not massively.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:55 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Personally I like the ergos on the 9x better. The throttle cut and trainer switches are farther away on the 9xr. On the 9x they fall right where my index finger naturally goes to. On the 9xr I have to reach further out to touch them. I suppose you could use your middle finger to flip those but I am not used to that at all since my index finger reaches everything perfectly on the 9x.

I don't see the hype over the gimbals. They are maybe slightly better than the 9x but it isn't a mind blowing improvement IMHO.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:06 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,447 Posts
Very ergonomics related, which type of buttons are you more comfortable: soft or hard ?
9XR has soft buttons.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:08 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The radio uses LiPoly batteries but the charger port is for a NiCd/NiMh charger. Hopefully it is not actually connected internally or there could be some radio fires.
my th9x has same thing never had a problem
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:16 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,578 Posts
Do you use it to charge a LiPo inside your radio?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:30 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
at least one member measured battery voltage there so it is connected. another actually suggested plugging in a wall wart to charge. "dangerous" may be understatement. but i suspect hk will profit from repeat sales of puffed lipos and fried radios so maybe not really bad engineering from their viewpoint.

reasons i passed:

1. with no module or rx extremely bad deal compared to original 9x.
2. incredibly stupid (for consumer) battery design.
3. menus buttons designed to fail within a year or two.
4. bulky "transformers (tm)" case

good for hk. not for me.
Not pushing this radio but I think you overlook some value in the 9XR, or I have missunderstood what is included.

9X - no back light - 9XR - included
9X - No programming interface - 9XR included
9X - Original FlySky SW. OK, but many prefer the er9X SW, incl in the 9XR
9X - Battery compartment was a problem. 9XR is made for 3S lipo

If you are a Turnigy 9X/FlySky RF user and use the stock 9X SW, then you are right, no reason to go to 9XR.

BUT, if you are one of the many Turnigy 9X/Flysky TH9X pilots who put in the back-light, programming card and flashed with new SW, then took out the Turnigy/Flysky module and changed to FrSky, then the 9XR is probably a good option for you. The difference is not just the cost of the parts but the effort involved to get the radio to where you want it. The 9XR is already there.

The FlySky module was a throw away for many buyers and you had to "cut" it out of the Turnigy 9X. That is why there is a 9X with no module. Even for $5 less it is better for those who don't want to have to open the radio and cut out the the Turnigy/FlySky module. There must be a LOT of them for HK to offer a separate product. If I had purchased the Turnigy 9X/FlySky TH9X, the Turnigy/FlySky module would have been immediately removed and put in the drawer forever and been replaced by a FrSky module.

Natually your smileage will vary.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:17 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
9X - no back light - 9XR - included
9X - No programming interface - 9XR included
9X - Original FlySky SW. OK, but many prefer the er9X SW, incl in the 9XR
9X - Battery compartment was a problem. 9XR is made for 3S lipo
the 1st two are valid points. $5 backlight and programming interface are a plus for the 9xr. i had no problem with either and upgraded both my 9x. but i understand where many would prefer not to play that game. for me it was fun.

the last 2 definitely not improvements. if by SW you mean software then that is exactly the same thing as your 2nd item. if you have programming port you have er9x.

if by SW you meant switches the elastomer type are known to have about 1% contact life and also shorter mtbf of phosphor-bronze dome clickies. of course this will not become evident for a year or so and by 2 years everyone will suffer. gold pcb contacts wont help becasue its the conductive polymer that fails. it... thats right... stops conducting. you can get a little more life by cleaning them but after a while that wont help either. and from an ergonomic standpoint the tactile feedback is highly desirable. anybody can claim no feedback is better but for most humans this is not the case whether they admit or not.

battery compartment. so youre saying it was impossible to put lipos in the original 9x? yeah... right. it IS virtually impossible to put cheaper, safer, and more convenient aa cells in the 9xr though. and the charge jack on the 9xr... well... nuff said.

well at least i cant call everybody fools any more for using battery types "the radio was not designed for by the designers". many will be pleased by that. lol!

anyway when you do the dollars and cents... compared to a 9x from hobbypartz or himodel the dollars make no sense. i admit the no-module no-rx 9x from hk has not been a good deal for some time now. obviously a planned marketing play.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Jan 07, 2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: dollars and sense