HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:45 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Am I the only one who likes the 9XR? The one thing that annoys me is that hobbyking hasn't released any modules that use the internal antenna yet.
I honestly think I'm going to like it. I've heard good things about the gimbals. It will be as good or better than the 9x.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:53 PM
United States, VA, New Market
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
I still like mine - even though there were several disappointments.
Plain and simple, it is the VW bug of transmitters. Some will love it, some will not.
Affordable... check.
Top quality... ??? probably not.

It is a shame that HK left so many questions unanswered simply to get more initial sales. *speculation*
But at the end of the day, I am left with a Tx that is better than the one I am trying to replace (FlySky CT6B).

**goes back to check on upload status of photos...**
bobalexander is online now Find More Posts by bobalexander
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:59 PM
gold coast
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
I like it, but I have no interest in modding it and the fact it has parts and firmware sourced from other manufactures isn't a worry for me..

I can sort of see why others are having a go at it but you get what you pay for..
And I just hoped I payed for a nice functional radio that will suit my heli's and park fliers
fantomphish is offline Find More Posts by fantomphish
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:02 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,890 Posts
Hi Bob. Let me be the first to welcome you to RCGroups! You are off to a great start with the detailed photos in your very first few posts.

There is a way to post your pictures directly into your posts. RCG will host your pictures, and that may be a lot faster as well.

Click on the "Go Advanced" button to reply, then at the bottom of the reply box, you can use the "Manage Attachment" feature to post pics in your reply.

KC

Edit. Here are some more detailed instuctions if you need it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242244
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Jan 01, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:14 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Here are a few more 9XR internals pictures.
joc1618 is offline Find More Posts by joc1618
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:21 PM
United States, VA, New Market
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
More pics as requested

https://plus.google.com/photos/10149...COa3kp3Bl_ylHg
bobalexander is online now Find More Posts by bobalexander
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:31 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Great pictures.

Thanks Bob!
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:35 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,890 Posts
And thanks joc! This thread is finally taking a turn or the better.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:40 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Oops!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:48 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,890 Posts
That looks ok. It's in the general area. It's like hand grenades.... Where close is good enough.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:06 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
well, i must say i am in the side of the guys who don't like it because is very bad designed
there are tons of bad things on it,
lot of corners to full fill with dust,
ugly design, like a futaba 6ex, that i never ever liked.
module with connector, that is going to be a problem if it fails,
frsky did it the correct way, internal module for the build in transmitter then external module possibilities.
Now, after see how they wired the ISP... i start to think in china persons are more cheap than a connector plug.

Even With the smartieparts board you have a much cleaner setup than tons if wires soldered over the PCB, 9XR is a total shame for a commercial product,

Hope the gimbals are really better because some people already said they are even worst.

HK is just an opportunist company, like crows. If at least they made the work well... but dud, the UHF OpenLRS they cloned has the antenna connector horizontal, and its not even centered in the module!, and with the lack of metal handler in 9XR you have no protection for it, will end up damaged.

IMO they have an ass as brain.
just to save some cent's they make senseless errors that would allow them to sell it twice the price and twice the sells
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Last edited by wallaguest1; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:10 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna View Post
Thanks Bob!

Looks like the device on the left that we were unclear about is a 5v regulator...
Linear unfortunately... otoh, it looks as if the "telemetry mod" will not necessitate soldering to the processor as with the 9x anymore...
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:25 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
That looks ok. It's in the general area. It's like hand grenades.... Where close is good enough.
That's only the second radio we've seen internally, and there is already a rather crummy screw up. It will work, sure, but c'mon!!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:02 AM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Speaking of quality control, the exit button on my 9XR was stuck in the pressed position after I unboxed it. Removing the back of the radio resolved the issue. I guess removing the back relieved some stress around the button. It works fine now, even after reattaching the back.
joc1618 is offline Find More Posts by joc1618
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:48 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
That's only the second radio we've seen internally, and there is already a rather crummy screw up. It will work, sure, but c'mon!!!
I saw the "screw up" from a different perspective. I thought the assembly worker was showing off his/her skills, as in, "Pads? What pads? I don't need no stinkin' pads... I'll just solder this here wire right on the resistor!" But I'd have to agree, this Tx is a mess. People kept saying this is a $50 Tx, but factor in the shipping with a module, Rx, battery, and programer, this Tx is closer to $150.

I say no thank you! I'll wait for the FrSky Tx. I know they will get it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Linear unfortunately... otoh, it looks as if the "telemetry mod" will not necessitate soldering to the processor as with the 9x anymore...
What makes you say that about the telemetry mod?