HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflydreamer View Post
The way I see it team erazz wouldnt have had anything to make if h.k. didnt design & develope a radio. How much money did that cost to create the 9x.
Seems like a win win for both parties
Again, HK DID NOT design and create the 9X........FlySky did!!! HK picked it up and started selling it under the Turnigy brand AFTER custom firmware had already been developed for it. Its was available on the market under several other brands (Imax, Eurgle, FlySky etc.) long before HK started selling it under the Turnigy brand. As I said, HK deserves absolutely NO credit for the 9X, and little for the 9XR.

Its actually the opposite of your statement. The popularity of the FlySky FS-TH9X and the reason HK decided to brand it and sell it, is largely due to the programmers work who developed custom firmware for it.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:38 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
The case looks pretty good.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:38 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,474 Posts
Hey,hey guys wait a second..
I see many differences on that board. Now, for it to be compatible with the custom firmwares it has to have the same pinout, the same number of pots and switches, the same size display, etc.. logically the board will have to look more or less the same. But as I said before, I see differences. It might have another regulator, the buttons are not through hole, theres an IC on the right side of the chip that we don't know exactly what it is, firmware switchable backlight, etc. So I wouldn't say that is a complete copy of the 9x. look at the board where the module pins are. before it was on the back of the radio together with some switches, and now there are no wires to disconnect when you open the radio.. the gimbals and their connections. completly different as well.. Obviously the heart of the radio will have to look the same to keep it compatible.
Are there some flaws on the design? we all know the answer, yes.. they could have done better? yes definitely. for example a header for the programmer connector instead of soldering the wires, make it telemetry ready, a better chip, yes, but they did try to improve.
Well, it's not a bad looking radio as well. But I wish they left a bit more space inside the b****y radio
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Hey,hey guys wait a second..
I see many differences on that board. Now, for it to be compatible with the custom firmwares it has to have the same pinout, the same number of pots and switches, the same size display, etc.. logically the board will have to look more or less the same. But as I said before, I see differences. It might have another regulator, the buttons are not through hole, theres an IC on the right side of the chip that we don't know exactly what it is, firmware switchable backlight, etc. So I wouldn't say that is a complete copy of the 9x. look at the board where the module pins are. before it was on the back of the radio together with some switches, and now there are no wires to disconnect when you open the radio.. the gimbals and their connections. completly different as well.. Obviously the heart of the radio will have to look the same to keep it compatible.
Are there some flaws on the design? we all know the answer, yes.. they could have done better? yes definitely. for example a header for the programmer connector instead of soldering the wires, make it telemetry ready, a better chip, yes, but they did try to improve.
Well, it's not a bad looking radio as well. But I wish they left a bit more space inside the b****y radio
True. If HK had made major hardware changes, would you guys jump in with equal enthusiasm to rewrite and support the er9x code to support HKs changes?
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:47 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
I'm wondering if it is has an EL backlight or a HK backlight in it.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:59 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,474 Posts
well, I hope it is a LED backlight. it takes less current, no noise, no high voltage........
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
True. If HK had made major hardware changes, would you guys jump in with equal enthusiasm to rewrite and support the er9x code to support HKs changes?
You know what, I think if HK had gone to the er9x community and asked for a partnership in developing a new radio I believe they would've.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:13 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,769 Posts
Quote:

That would depend if the changes were improvements, or just change for the sake of change.

Of course had HK asked asked what changes were wanted, then they could have done something.
All they needed to do was move a couple of Inputs around and add a few connectors so it was ready for the usual modifications and they would have had eager buyers.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Again, HK DID NOT design and create the 9X........FlySky did!!! HK picked it up and started selling it under the Turnigy brand AFTER custom firmware had already been developed for it. Its was available on the market under several other brands (Imax, Eurgle, FlySky etc.) long before HK started selling it under the Turnigy brand. As I said, HK deserves absolutely NO credit for the 9X, and little for the 9XR.

Its actually the opposite of your statement. The popularity of the FlySky FS-TH9X and the reason HK decided to brand it and sell it, is largely due to the programmers work who developed custom firmware for it.
Your history is a bit skewed.

HK started selling the Turnigy 9x at least a year before there were any custom firmwares out for it.

I purchased my first Turnigy 9x on July 3, 2009.

Thus' firmware first started development on April 6, 2010

er9x started development on August 10, 2010

gruvin 9x started development Nov 10, 2010

radioclone looks like it started development in September of 2010

MSV19 started development Oct 4, 2010
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
1,124 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNZ
Happy New Year everyone wish you all a great 2013
I can see I was so right alot of 9XR will start going to Ebay very soon just need to wait a little more to get the right price.
The one that's been on there for four days hasn't sold yet. You'd think there would be somebody who just had to have the latest, despite the cost....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turnigy-9XR-...item3f20865201
I doubt it; if I was going to spend THAT kind of money, I'd be looking at a Devo 8S from Banggood for +/- $200. Sure I'd have to wait 3 weeks; but dude... REALLY.

The great thing about the 9x was always the fact that it was a $50 radio and it could do so much. You gump up to that price range, you may as well just suck it up and buy something that starts with a color touchscreen AND telemetry.

Same reason I passed on the SmartieParts board; I can BUILD/HACK/REPROGRAM my $50 radio for lessee... $80 delivered for the radio... $95 for the SmartieParts board... $20 for the programmer & header, etc... sunofacrap. that's $195 for a radio with plastic gimbals.

You know what you need to hack the Devo 8? A USB cable. Which USUALLY comes with it.

So, now enter the 9XR... the radio has the backlight hack and the programmer hack built-in, and it's built to run on LiPo out of the box. ANY 3S LiPo you have lying around, almost. Oh, AND they fixed the daggy soldered-in antenna BS so you can either hack a module to use the built-in antenna or just use one on the back of the module like most ppl will anyways.

I happen to be of the camp that believes as long as it's 90 degrees out of phase with the antenna being used, that antenna in the handle is going to make precisely squat of an impact on radiated power; and what difference it DOES make will only be in the direction of your FACE...

Bottom line... I see the 9XR as NOT a major upgrade, but rather a mid-product-life bugfix release; intended to keep the faithful in the 9X ecosystem a while longer instead of looking at all the shiny new stuff from everybody else. Because really, if I wanted a discount Futaba, I'd be looking at the Devo, NOT Spektrum OR FlySky.

Still won't stop me from buying one tho.

mnem
I wonder if the Devo has a Android app yet...
mnemennth is offline Find More Posts by mnemennth
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:56 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:

kk has about same grasp of 9x timeline as his understanding of battery chemistry.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
kk has about same grasp of 9x timeline as his understanding of battery chemistry.
Dave, you know you dont want to go there! Ive already knocked your diddle in the dirt once on battery chemistry.

I dont think you can use the dates on google code. I'm certain thus was developing well before he started the google code project. I could be mistake about that particular detail however, still doesnt change the other facts.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:20 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,474 Posts
hhmmm, this might get interesting
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:21 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,966 Posts
Don't even give this guy the slightest bit of attention....guys a troll...why would he even make a comment like that...how does that contribute to anything. Man
reacher10 is offline Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:33 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,769 Posts
Quote:
I dont think you can use the dates on google code. I'm certain thus was developing well before he started the google code project. I could be mistake about that particular detail however, still doesnt change the other facts.
I have to agree there. TH9X was already working in April 2010

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1563

I don't know when he started, but it must have been at least a few days prior to that

A link to a youtube video for radioclone was posted on Apr 3 2010

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1573

Amazing how far things came in three years!
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie