Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:58 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
I have seen one or two articles on how to do this but wasn't sure about it. Are you following any article in particular, or figuring it out on your own?
This is how it was done on the 9x.
http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/07/hp6...dule-wired-up/
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
Hmmm, that looks as a great replacement. Wonder if it even close to 5db and if the real world range is actually greatly increased?
The 5db antenna has more horizontal range and less vertical range. But that is when it is mounted vertically. I wonder how it would do in the 9xr.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:03 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Frsky has a 5db replacement antenna.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=45

Stacked 1/4 waves? Possibly take the guts out of that antenna and put them in the handle.
A US vendor has these for $2.30.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/5db-module-antenna.html
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:05 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
The 5db antenna has more horizontal range and less vertical range. But that is when it is mounted vertically. I wonder how it would do in the 9xr.
It will have both greater vertical and horizontal but less range to the side of the radio.

But the plane is unlikely to fly to the side of the radio as you should be facing the plane while flying it.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
So the rectangle space where you insert the module on the 9XR has a plug for the antenna. I am not aware of any modules that have a compatible plug for 9XR to use with the internal antenna. Two questions:

1. Will there be compatible 9XR modules for 9XR such as FrSky etc?
2. AFAIK you cant use any other module with 9XR right now because the plug in the 9XR will not allow the module to fit in. I am right ?

So the only option is to wait for 9XR compatible modules?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,598 Posts
Oh yeh, I noticed these 2 holes in the back of my 9XR & looking closer they are threaded metal & fit M3 screws:

Maybe good for attaching UHF system or some kind of rest, etc!??
nebstress is online now Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
So the rectangle space where you insert the module on the 9XR has a plug for the antenna. I am not aware of any modules that have a compatible plug for 9XR to use with the internal antenna. Two questions:

2. AFAIK you cant use any other module with 9XR right now because the plug in the 9XR will not allow the module to fit in. I am right ?

1: Yes HK are bringing one out soon DSM & apparently FrSky are working on one that will make use of the internal antenna too.

2: No you are wrong, any "JR" type module will fit.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:26 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,550 Posts
Quote:

Any JR style module should work, but not take advantage of the 9XR's antenna in the handle.

Downside is that there is no handle on the back to protect the modules antenna when you put the radio down flat.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Aha, thanks! But if you would use the module with its own antenna wont the internal antenna cause problems? Bruce from rcmodelreviews said its not a good idea to have two antennas in the radio.
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:33 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Aha, thanks! But if you would use the module with its own antenna wont the internal antenna cause problems? Bruce from rcmodelreviews said its not a good idea to have two antennas in the radio.
If you have your module's antenna in the vertical position it will not be too much of a problem since they will be polarised at 90 degrees to each other.

You will get some loss but not enough to worry about, remember the old 9X had a hunk of metal right next to the module antennas (the handle).
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:33 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
There shouldn't be an issue as long as only one antenna is transmitting at a time.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:38 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,550 Posts
I would make sure they are not parallel to each other. If they are it could possibly affect the radiation pattern, like a yagi.
And keeping it more than a wavelength away would be good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi-Uda_antenna

If possible, do a range check with the internal antenna removed and compare it to results with it in place.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:42 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
I got my 9XR, and the first impressions are that the LCD screen is much better, the sticks feel a bit cheaper, and the buttons aren't as nice. The buttons are not the clicky kind anymore, instead they squish down which can make entering info more difficult.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Any JR style module should work, but not take advantage of the 9XR's antenna in the handle.

Downside is that there is no handle on the back to protect the modules antenna when you put the radio down flat.
As I pointed out in my post there are 2 threaded holes above the module bay that I am sure can be use for exactly that purpose, fitting a rest or something else to protect the Modules antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
Oh yeh, I noticed these 2 holes in the back of my 9XR & looking closer they are threaded metal & fit M3 screws:

Maybe good for attaching UHF system or some kind of rest, etc!??
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:46 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post

maybe good for attaching UHF system or some kind of rest, etc!??
I think they are for attaching the frsky telemetry screen.