SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Or at least the ability to have a module that uses the internal antenna ...
You could add a Frsky module

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Module.html

Internally, as shown

Installing the FrSky 2.4GHz DIY kit in a HobbyKing Turnigy 9X radio (27 min 52 sec)

and hook it up to the handle antenna.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
So in the 9XR the battery plugs into the balance charger plug ???
The 9xr requires a balance plug on the battery to plug into the 9xr, but I'm pretty sure there is no charge port on the 9xr. If that's what you're asking.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
You could add a Frsky module

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Module.html

Internally, as shown

http://youtu.be/DHnV6hGH108

and hook it up to the handle antenna.
Would it be possible to do the same with the orange rx dsm2/dsmx module that's supposed to plug into the back?
Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var. View Post
Would it be possible to do the same with the orange rx dsm2/dsmx module that's supposed to plug into the back?
I have no idea what connector is on the 9xr antenna, but with an adapter, I don't see why not.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Last edited by robschonk; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:18 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
It looks like I won't be flying with the original 9x or 9xr for awhile. I've had problems with flysky locking out before, but this time was the worst. Full speed nose dive into the ground with my new AXN. The plane was fixable, but the frsky module is going to take months to get here with swiss post. I wish I could buy the modules from the LHS, but all they have are expensive spektrum radios.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
It looks like I won't be flying with the original 9x or 9xr for awhile. I've had problems with flysky locking out before, but this time was the worst. Full speed nose dive into the ground with my new AXN. The plane was fixable, but the frsky module is going to take months to get here with swiss post. I wish I could buy the modules from the LHS, but all they have are expensive spektrum radios.
You can buy all the FrSky equipment in the US, for almost the same prices as HK once you take shipping into account.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ry-system.html
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
........ The plane was fixable, but the frsky module is going to take months to get here with swiss post. I wish I could buy the modules from the LHS, but all they have are expensive spektrum radios.
alofthobbies.com is the place to get Frsky gear in the US. Less $ than HK when you factor in shipping. They actually know the product and respond promptly to inquiries.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:36 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
alofthobbies.com is the place to get Frsky gear in the US. Less $ than HK when you factor in shipping. They actually know the product and respond promptly to inquiries.
I should have ordered from them originally! Well, I needed another frsky module for the other 9x anyway....

2 day shipping should be fast enough.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,401 Posts
Sorry to read about your model.. I never used those flysky modules for very long..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
The Dude Abides
United States, IN, Fortville
Joined Jan 2012
96 Posts
I've never had a problem with the flysky module. I've only had maybe 35 flights with it though. Obviously Frsky is better for a couple reasons but I guess I was lucky enough to not have problems while I used it for planes. Now will only be using for small helis.
dsmithwc04 is offline Find More Posts by dsmithwc04
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemennth
Ummm... right. At the trickle rates that would be typical, really not a problem. It's when we want to charge LiPos at a high charge rate (more than 0.5C) this becomes a problem.
Trickle charging a Lipo at any rate above its self discharge will very quickly cause it to go into over-voltage and possibly "vent with flames".

Pat MacKenzie
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear; I meant in case of the theoretical built-in charger circuit we'd been talking about, which would have of course been a LiPo charger, NOT an unregulated wall-wart. You know, like the low-current trickle-rate charge circuits built into cell-phones and Tablet PCs. Which I mentioned in the same post.

My point was rather that it's only because we hobbyists want to charge our packs in 15 minutes that we have to take precautions like removing the pack from the equipment and sticking it in a firesafe; no matter how fast or slow the charge, it still has to be regulated to prevent over-voltage with Li-Ion technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemennth
Seems slightly retarded (as in, not as advanced as one's peers) to make a special battery for it. We'll have to see; if it costs like a dollar or two more than their basic Xmitter LiPo, who cares. Myself, I'm prolly just gonna throw any 3S LiPo I have laying around in it.
I disagree. The protection circuit protects against overdischarging, so no problem if you accidentally leave your TX on. It also protects against overcharging, so no problem charging it in the TX.
It's strange nobody else has done this before, with so many wanting Lipo instead of Nixx in their TX's. I'd call it slightly advanced....
You make a valid point; I've always paid attention to the voltmeter on my 9x, and the eR9x firmware has adjustable low-voltage alarms for just this reason. This, of course, won't protect against the random "accidentally turned on in the bag and not discovered for two weeks" kind of over-discharge accident that every transmitter has been prone to since the dawn of time.

I was thinking more like this:

Those "on the battery" protection circuits cost like a quarter apiece in small lots (25 pcs or so); multi-cell ones vary from $0.75 to $1.00. Why not put them in the radio rather than one in every battery?

Oh, right. So they can sell a "special" battery. DOYT!

Like I said before, if it costs like a dollar or two more than their basic Xmitter LiPo, who cares.

mnem
*Juiced*
mnemennth is online now Find More Posts by mnemennth
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
I spend $37 shipping for tx, battery, case, frsky combo. Sometimes splitting up orders results with cheaper rates from China

Not to mention the case was only $7 which was cheap!

And remember, you pay shipping on anything you order online so adding in shipping as if it is an additional cost only if you buy a 9XR isn't accurate.

I do wonder if they will give us guys a deal on the 9XR module when it becomes available who already purchased the Tx? Would not be cool if the Tx and module will be $50 soon and we have to pay $30 or so extra because we bought too early? Not good customer service if that happens but I bet they will make it up to us. I try to give companies the benifit of the doubt prior to dissapointing me...
How? Both items are over 1000g, which results in $23.59 shipping for each order. And I could not get the case for $7. None of the buddy codes worked.
OK, got the code to work. Now I have a $7 case and $23 shipping. yay.

And now just adding the radio made the case price jump to $11.45. They can shove the radio up their you know what, I have 2 9x's and a DX6i.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,672 Posts
I guess I can see what you are saying, but my concern was the use of the phrase " typical trickle charge rate" in relation to charging the transmitter with what "typically "comes with R/C transmitters - a simple wall wart "trickle charger".

That of course can't be done so I felt it important to mention it.

The phrase "trickle charge" is fairly well understood to mean charging at C/10 or less, and is never used in reference to charging Lipos unless it is to say "don't do it"
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
You can buy all the FrSky equipment in the US, for almost the same prices as HK once you take shipping into account.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ry-system.html
They are very good there. I just found them today and called them. They patiently answered all my questions and unfortunately also got me thinking about the new frsky radio.
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
ah,you take your cell phone battery out to charge it?
Phone LiIon (Lithium ion) batteries are only single celled and don't need to be balanced.

Also they are much more resilient to overcharging/discharging than LiPos
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond