HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:00 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
2,887 Posts
That is no surprise. One of the reasons it is smaller is because it doesn't support telemetry
Not because of the sound module..
Hk based their 9XR on the non telemetry version of er9x..

Hmm, I wonder how a rotary encoder would look on the 9XR instead of the four directional buttons
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined May 2005
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna View Post
I took a quick look at the code and it appears not to be trivial task at all to merge the two.

Oh well I was planning flashing the latest er9x code anyways.
Actually I just looked at the diff (the entire thing, 11 files) between the latest er9x revision and the 9XR code from the rar file someone posted. The diffs are really pretty clean. Could be merged in about a day, easily. Some things are obvious adds or additions, others I'm not so sure about as maybe Er9x changed something after the fork was made. But the changes are very small, relatively. I suppose one could diff against the actual revision they forked from, and then try to bring that tree up to date.

Certainly anything HobbyKing added that is worth having in Er9x could be cherry-picked easily. And if HK indeed has made the firmware a bit more user-friendly (without the Eepe program), then I welcome such changes to be submitted to the er9x mainline project devs by HK.

Keeping the two trees in sync, from Er9x's position, is going to be less and less useful going forward. Of course the knife cuts both ways. Er9x's mainline development will also be less useful to HK going forward. If Er9x is important to Hobbyk=King, then the onus is on them to merge their branch back into mainline er9x, similar to what happens to the linux kernel (for example, google is in the process of merging the android kernel back into the mainline Linux kernel tree).

In fact we might call on HK to publish a subversion or git repository of their code as they develop it, so that things can be tracked as we go. This would be in keeping with the spirit of Free and Open Source software that they have now taken advantage of for their benefit and profit. Certainly they benefit from Er9x's svn repository, and can cherry-pick features as they come along as well.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
3,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
Some things are obvious adds or additions, others I'm not so sure about as maybe Er9x changed something after the fork was made. But the changes are very small, relatively. I suppose one could diff against the actual revision they forked from
That's what dvogonen posted just above, very few modifications. ER9x however has seen many improvements and new features since then.

I personally don't expect HK to ever touch the code again... They've got something thats branded to their name to sell the radio with, whatever happens next will be left to the user.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,570 Posts
Do I have to keep the HK version will the latest eR9x work OK on the 9XR?
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:19 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlremr View Post
If this picture shows the way it is actually used, then I have a problem with it. To properly charge the lipo, it should be removed and charged with a good balance
charger. This means plugging and unplugging each time. Bad for the connector.
If there is enough room in the compartment, I would use a short 3s balance extension and unplug it from the battery end, thus saving the Tx connector.
John
Well, not if you use the "9XR Special" Hobby King wants you to use. Apparently that one has protective circuitry built in that will let you safely charge the lipo while in the TX, without the need for an extra balancing connector...

WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2005
193 Posts
No you don't need to keep the HK version.
Yes, it is a good idea to install either open9x or er9x. If nothing else, for the help and advice you can get from the community around these firmwares.
dvogonen is online now Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
927 Posts
Thanks but no thanks on this special battery with special circuitry. We already have this circuitry, it is built into our balance chargers. I'm sure there is a way to do it safely, but I'm not going to be charging batteries while they are still inside the equipment and plugged into it.

Seems like a lot of development effort on HK's end to solve a problem that didn't exist until they wanted to do 'internal lipo' charging. Effort that could have been better spent on an upgraded board, serial ports/telemetry, 3Pos or switches etc instead of designing a new battery. Not that that these other features are wanted by everyone either But when speculating about this radio, who said "I sure hope they find a way to balance a special lipo tx battery without removing it from the radio".
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:42 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
3,780 Posts
It's not like an over/underdischarge protection (what's written on the pack) is rocket science. There's one in any cell phone, laptop, camera,... battery sold in the past 10 years or so.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
No you don't need to keep the HK version.
Yes, it is a good idea to install either open9x or er9x. If nothing else, for the help and advice you can get from the community around these firmwares.
I personally have no loyalty to HK. They gladly take my money and I get a product that's it. I sent a letter to Anthony Hand and no reply. Much as I expected. I personally work for a fortune 300 company and interact with the CEO often. I can tell you he interacts with anyone that emails him. That is good business. RC is my hobby and my friends and loyalty lies here. Given the support of the rcgroups and 9x community I feel confident that the best version of firmware for the 9XR will surface eventually and it will most like be from the 9x community or rgroupsers.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
It's not like an over/underdischarge protection (what's written on the pack) is rocket science. There's one in any cell phone, laptop, camera,... battery sold in the past 10 years or so.
Yes, and I don't see people taking those lipo's out...
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Well, not if you use the "9XR Special" Hobby King wants you to use. Apparently that one has protective circuitry built in that will let you safely charge the lipo while in the TX, without the need for an extra balancing connector...
Not necessarily true. A protection circuit is just that, a protection circuit. That doesnt mean people can stick a 12V supply on the jack to charge and everything is OK.

BTW, cell phones use single cells, much easier to manage. Also, phones have charger circuitry built in, as well as protection on the cell. Protection and charge circuits are not the same, and are not interchangeable. The protection compliments the charge/discharge and its only a "bonus", a charge circuit is a must.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
Kelowna
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Question , does the 9XR come with a charging cable? It does not mention it in the

description , my 9XR should arrive any day now , can't wait. I have other lipos that

I can use until the " official battery " comes out .
gladiatoro is offline Find More Posts by gladiatoro
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
Question , does the 9XR come with a charging cable? It does not mention it in the

description , my 9XR should arrive any day now , can't wait. I have other lipos that

I can use until the " official battery " comes out .
Almost no radios come with the charging cable. So I doubt it. For now, you can use any 12 V power supply as long as it has the polarity correct. I also recommend taking the battery out in order to charge it for now.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
Almost no radios come with the charging cable. So I doubt it. For now, you can use any 12 V power supply as long as it has the polarity correct. I also recommend taking the battery out in order to charge it for now.
Does it have a charging port?

My understanding is that the 12v port is an output port to be used for FPV not for charging.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
Actually, most come with a charger. The FlySky/Turnigy radios are the only ones I have see that do not, but they are intended to be run off alkalines originally.

Kahuna, thats one of the questions that needs clearing up by HK.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA