HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:05 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
I hope all you Negative Nancys are proven wrong, wrong, wrong.

Gene K
I was not being negative, about this at least.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Sep 2010
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post

Almost makes me wish I had bought one so i could see for myself. But I was at work when they came and went from stock

Pat MacKenzie
I missed it too and add to basket bk and here what I got this morning:Your parcel has been sent from the HobbyKing.com warehouse!
flye is offline Find More Posts by flye
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
I hope all you speculative Negative Nancys are proven wrong, wrong, wrong.

Gene K
If you read the discussion you will find that it is simply an attempt to understand the confusing information about batteries that HK has provided. It's an important issue as people are trying to figure out what will work and what won't.

I too find some of the speculation and HK-bashing silly, but in the discussion is some genuinely useful information from reliable regulars like Pat.

I'm wondering how all you non-speculative "positive" types plan to power your nice new 9XR when it arrives. Or will you just wait till the "official" 9XR battery is available?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,253 Posts
As said before I think it would be logical to use the balance plug to deliver the full pack voltage whether is a LiPo or a LiFe. That also makes it easier to find a suitable battery.
But I've seen, and actually I own batteries that have reversed polarity on the balance plug. it seems that some chargers might use a reversed polarity pinout. So, we better don't just assume that because it is a balance plug, it will fit. we must ALWAYS check the polarity..
If we get the batteries at HK , perhaps the risk of that happening is minimal..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Since I don't plan on using any external equipment such as FPV or telemetry modules utilizing the 12v port, I'm probably just going to use my LiFe battery. I'm also not waiting the modules. I've already have few mods in mind. I still need to place a digikey order (unless of course some offers me an exuberant amount my 9XR). lol
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:47 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
From the turnigy9x forums...

"I did build of the 9XR software version and loaded it into a 9x. I'm surprised at the number of changes in menu.cpp. Pretty extensive with most of it well thought out."

It would be cool if someone could take a look at this that know what they're looking at and post their findings. I would prefer use er9x code due to the bug numerous bug fixes but maybe HK has added some neat stuff to the menus, but somehow I doubt it.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
well the microprocessor can be found in the manual posted a few pages back, it is atmega64. also the firmware sources+binaries are on the 9xr forums.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,809 Posts
I compared the soyrxe with diff and thereis two major changes.

Addition of the reverse screen and the channel order in templates

It would be trivial to import those to er9x.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:14 AM
Johninarky
Rogers,Arkansas
Joined Jul 2005
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Yep, if this thing is going to be documented it's going to be community-documented.

Fortunately the pics on the product page make it pretty clear... A 3S balance plug is all that's necessary, so any HK 3S will suffice. I'm going to break down and get another LiFe... probably this one, since it's a bit under $7.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_pack_.html

If this picture shows the way it is actually used, then I have a problem with it. To properly charge the lipo, it should be removed and charged with a good balance
charger. This means plugging and unplugging each time. Bad for the connector.
If there is enough room in the compartment, I would use a short 3s balance extension and unplug it from the battery end, thus saving the Tx connector.
John
jlremr is offline Find More Posts by jlremr
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:19 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlremr View Post
If there is enough room in the compartment, I would use a short 3s balance extension and unplug it from the battery end, thus saving the Tx connector.
Or one can splice in second balance connector with just two wires an leave that in. I'm pretty sure only the edge pins are needed.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:26 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
I compared the soyrxe with diff and thereis two major changes.

Addition of the reverse screen and the channel order in templates

It would be trivial to import those to er9x.
While I do understand the resentment for the way HK went about things, maybe if we ask the developers of er9x nicely they might provide us (the rcgroups community) with a build incorporating the HK changes. Or if someone could post a how to, I would be willing to give it a go myself and test in my 9XR when it arrives, or flash my current 9x radio.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
what means soyrxe ?
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:41 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna View Post
While I do understand the resentment for the way HK went about things, maybe if we ask the developers of er9x nicely they might provide us (the rcgroups community) with a build incorporating the HK changes. Or if someone could post a how to, I would be willing to give it a go myself and test in my 9XR when it arrives, or flash my current 9x radio.
If you are qualified to do this kind of development I suggest you go to the 9X development forum and download the appropriate information so you can start your software development.
http://9xforums.com/forum/

That is the benefit of the open source community. Anyone can contribute and everyone will benefit from your work. You are no longer at the mercy of Futaba or Spektrum or the other majors. You want a feature, go develope it and submit it for inclusion.

All the info is on the forum.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The 9x reference has been there since 2007, when the radio really was a 9-channel and operated with PCM coding on the FM bands (35 or 72). Even then, if you operated on PPM to allow you to use a regular FM receiver, you only got 8 channels.

When 2.4 modules came along about 2008, they too only worked with the 8 channels of PPM.

Some people would have had FlySky and HK change the name of the transmitter along the way. But while it might be slightly confusing to have a radio called 9x that only has 8 channels, it would be at least as confusing to change the 9x name to 8x while it remains essentially the same radio.

Like you, the thing I would seriously criticize HK for is not making clear in the specifications that this radio delivers 8 channels in its 2.4 configuration. This is particularly objectionable in the new 9XR specs, where the PCM reference is totally irrelevant.
It's not irrelevant anyways; any time you mix a channel you have to use a logical channel. The radio does deliver 9 logical channels, so it is still a 9 channel radio in that respect. It's annoying that you can't use every channel at the RX, sure, but you DO get 9 channels, after a fashion. Most users are mixing SOMETHING, so in practice it becomes a non-issue.

mnem
*Poorly programmed*
mnemennth is offline Find More Posts by mnemennth
Last edited by mnemennth; Dec 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: PS - ED
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
If you are qualified to do this kind of development I suggest you go to the 9X development forum and download the appropriate information so you can start your software development.
I'm willing to take a look at it, but what is trivial for some would not be for me as I'm not familiar with the code. I was hoping someone who has proficiency with the code would be willing to help out. I've done some programming, mostly C# and PowerShell but honestly I'm more of a hardware guy.