HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna View Post
FYI... a new release of the manual is out (v2.1)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3X39217X34.pdf
Three attempts at a manual, and it still doesn't say how to connect the battery
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:19 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Three attempts at a manual, and it still doesn't say how to connect the battery
Yep, if this thing is going to be documented it's going to be community-documented.

Fortunately the pics on the product page make it pretty clear... A 3S balance plug is all that's necessary, so any HK 3S will suffice. I'm going to break down and get another LiFe... probably this one, since it's a bit under $7.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_pack_.html

marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:28 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
[QUOTE=dziedrius;23648232]To understand this, you don't need to be an engineer, I think Anthony has seen tens if not hundreds lipos/chargers, so he would really know what does it mean to give different load to separate cells, I don't believe they could make such obvious mistake.[QUOTE]

The question is why did they use a balancing plug if they weren't splitting the voltages up internally? Something is fishy here.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:35 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,980 Posts
Quote:
The question is why did they use a balancing plug if they weren't splitting the voltages up internally? Something is fishy here.
A 4 pin JST balance connector is something that most 3S LiPo/LiFe batteries have, so it is a sensible choice even if only the 2 edge pins are actually connected.

I think the we only get definite answers when someone opens one up so waiting for a proper 'unboxing' vid which goes inside the radio .
kha is offline Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
[QUOTE=bkahuna;23648503][QUOTE=dziedrius;23648232]To understand this, you don't need to be an engineer, I think Anthony has seen tens if not hundreds lipos/chargers, so he would really know what does it mean to give different load to separate cells, I don't believe they could make such obvious mistake.
Quote:

As others said - it may be because balancing connector is common for all batteries, while power connector may be XT-60, JST, T, etc.
Anyway, I agree, that it is fishy and not so convenient as it looks from first sight.
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:10 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
One cell would still get out of balance, and more so by a switching method like that.

Logical would be to just use a 2S, and people can power their 3S equipment with a separate pack, or , just run the whole thing off 3S.

We wont know for sure what they did until we get them.

There are a LOT of people who will buy them that will never see these forums though, so they still need to clear up how the external 12V power port functions on the product page, and in the manual.
Switching wouldn't be so bad.

1+2 for X seconds
2+3 for X seconds
1+3 for X seconds

and we are back to balanced
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:18 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
Switching wouldn't be so bad.

1+2 for X seconds
2+3 for X seconds
1+3 for X seconds

and we are back to balanced
Well... taking power from 1+3 is a bit difficult... renember the battery is internally wired in series i.e. the voltages on the balance connector are 0V:4V:8V:12V, now it is easy to take 8V between 0V - 8V and 4V - 12V but taking from 0-4 and 8-12 is a separate story and needs lot more junk than a simple switchmode convertter that could just output 8V (or anything) from the full 12V.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:30 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
A 4 pin JST balance connector is something that most 3S LiPo/LiFe batteries have, so it is a sensible choice even if only the 2 edge pins are actually connected.

I think the we only get definite answers when someone opens one up so waiting for a proper 'unboxing' vid which goes inside the radio .
Please, no "unboxing" vid. They are about as useful as a butthole on your elbow.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:35 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Well... taking power from 1+3 is a bit difficult... renember the battery is internally wired in series i.e. the voltages on the balance connector are 0V:4V:8V:12V, now it is easy to take 8V between 0V - 8V and 4V - 12V but taking from 0-4 and 8-12 is a separate story and needs lot more junk than a simple switchmode convertter that could just output 8V (or anything) from the full 12V.
I know its not easy, but it is 'easy'.

You just use need to use a couple of germanium diodes (0.2V loss).
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:36 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,208 Posts
Schottky are low drop also, Ge is antiquity.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:39 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Schottky are low drop also, Ge is antiquity.
Sorry, those are the only ones I have seen at the moment. I only had to do an introduction to electrical engineering for my course.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:49 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,267 Posts
Quote:
I think it's so you can use any 3S no matter what power connector you have (e.g. XT60, Deans, etc)
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:49 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
I know its not easy, but it is 'easy'.

You just use need to use a couple of germanium diodes (0.2V loss).
As far as my electrical skills are considered I don't see any way without active components (basically a switcher + transformer) to take power from just sells 1 and 3 of a 3 cell serial connected battery to provide a single 2S output.

So enlighten me,
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:56 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
As far as my electrical skills are considered I don't see any way without active components (basically a switcher + transformer) to take power from just sells 1 and 3 of a 3 cell serial connected battery to provide a single 2S output.

So enlighten me,
Ok, I thought this up in ten seconds so this many not work perfectly (And probably making a fool of myself). I once though of a way that seemed foolproof but I forgot it.

-->| -(cell 3)+ -->| -(cell 1)+ -->|

Also I may have the diodes the wrong way around (too long since I did any proper electrical work).

EDIT: You may not even need the centre diode if the cells are in that order.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:00 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomphish View Post
Ordered mine on the 25/12 as well and it says there in stock and my order has 3 green ticks next to it, what ever that means.. :-/
I read more came on 27. Must all have been Mode2, I ordered Mode1....
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...