HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:03 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
I thought it was the balance plug but was told i was wrong. I cant wait for all the speculation to be over with. To be honest, I ordered the battery with the balance plug so we shall see...

Most batteries have a balance plug. But it turns out I am wrong. Look on the product page. They have two new pictures. It shows a three cell balance plug, so too so won't work.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:13 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Wow... that seems like a bad design.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna View Post
Hahaha you haven't heard anything

HK Admin said that only 2 cells are used, and the third is only for the screen, and to boost the voltage to a 433 LRS system or when something uses the extra pin on the JR module.

Hahaha, one cell is using 1/10 of the other 2.

Hahaha... the cells will be SO unbalanced, that power charging port on the back would blow it up from being out of balance!

I bet we will see a mod to use the 2S on the left of the port, or to use a standard discharge 2 prong port.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:37 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,193 Posts
I think the battery configuration is going to be:

3S balance connector -- plugs into radio, provides 12V power (sorry KK!)

This means that just about any 3S battery can be used, regardless of power connector (XT60 or JST).

The recommended(?) battery will have a JST connector, so that it can be charged on a standard 4-button charger.

I'm not believing they would use the different cells for different purposes because, as has been noted, that would be nuts!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna View Post
Wow +1 , yea, that is really bad!!!

@Marhar, I was just going off what I was told. I was told it was a "JST" connector, not a JST-XH connector. Nobody knew until those pics showed up!!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:43 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post

This means that just about any 3S battery can be used, regardless of power connector (XT60 or JST).

The recommended(?) battery will have a JST connector, so that it can be charged on a standard 4-button charger.

I'm not believing they would use the different cells for different purposes because, as has been noted, that would be nuts!
They could have a design where it switches which two cells it uses if it starts to get unbalanced.

But that would be too logical.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:45 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Hmm. Very interesting battery theories. Guess we'll just have to wait until someone who knows what they are doing to get one and do a tear down and check the thing out!

That's why I said ages ago, I'll stick with my 'highly modded' 9X (Open 9X, FrSky DHT, Back light, Vibrator, Voice and changeable hi-gain antenna)

I am perfectly willing to wait 3 months (or what ever it takes) for the 'T9X-R V2' with speculation and 'bugs' GONE!!

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post

Haha... that's what HK staff said. I assume since it was chinglish (Broken english) that he meant that it needed 3S just in case you needed it, but ti would still use it balanced.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:52 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Oh boy... Now I'm wondering what AVR ISP port is going to look like. It will probably require some specialized plug that HK is planning on selling.

I was looking forward to get my 9X. After all this... jeez maybe I should just sell it and bank my money for the FrSky radio coming out in few months.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:54 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Wow +1 , yea, that is really bad!!!

@Marhar, I was just going off what I was told. I was told it was a "JST" connector, not a JST-XH connector. Nobody knew until those pics showed up!!!
No worries KK, I was just joking about your previous (correct!) comments about using the 7805.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:55 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
They could have a design where it switches which two cells it uses if it starts to get unbalanced.

But that would be too logical.
One cell would still get out of balance, and more so by a switching method like that.

Logical would be to just use a 2S, and people can power their 3S equipment with a separate pack, or , just run the whole thing off 3S.

We wont know for sure what they did until we get them.

There are a LOT of people who will buy them that will never see these forums though, so they still need to clear up how the external 12V power port functions on the product page, and in the manual.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:57 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
There are a LOT of people who will buy them that will never see these forums though, so they still need to clear up how the external 12V power port functions on the product page, and in the manual.
lol
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:01 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
FYI... listed on the HK 9XR product page is the battery compartment size.

"Battery Compartment: 112 x 44 x 27mm"
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
Hahaha you haven't heard anything

HK Admin said that only 2 cells are used, and the third is only for the screen, and to boost the voltage to a 433 LRS system or when something uses the extra pin on the JR module.

Hahaha, one cell is using 1/10 of the other 2.

Hahaha... the cells will be SO unbalanced, that power charging port on the back would blow it up from being out of balance!

I bet we will see a mod to use the 2S on the left of the port, or to use a standard discharge 2 prong port.
To understand this, you don't need to be an engineer, I think Anthony has seen tens if not hundreds lipos/chargers, so he would really know what does it mean to give different load to separate cells, I don't believe they could make such obvious mistake.

Even if they did, they did it for purpose - to sell specialized "self balancing lipo for 9xr" 3 x more expensive than a regular one.
I really hope, 9xr won't turn out to "9 times Rubbish".
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:14 AM
United States, NV, Verdi-Mogul
Joined Mar 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Hobbyking is claiming that even though it was shipped with swiss post, it's still EMS. Is this true or are they lying?
Cool ya jets, it's fine

EMS stands for Express Mail Service. In the US it's USPS Express Mail. China Post has EMS, so does Swisspost, Singapore Post... Your Swisspost service is still EMS

Same as USPS Priority Mail, which is also known as Speedpost or Chronopost in about a squillion countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Express_Mail_Service
henkster is offline Find More Posts by henkster