HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
I know the 9X power schematic based on 7805, but... why are we so sure they didn't switched to a lossless solution in 9XR ?
There are today available hybrid 7805 replacements same layout same size, but switched version.
If true, then the 2-3s debate is without meaning.
True, but if they did why would they insist on using a 3S Lipo?

I still think that the electronics inside are exactly the same as the 9x.. will see whe the people start posting pictures of the PCBs
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
In this case, Flysky does these for them, nothing in house as they claim.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:10 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,456 Posts
It has been speculated several times that the 9XR is just the 9X with the upgrades already done and a new DSM2/X module option. Well, would that be so bad?

The radio is being built to a price point. Before you got a $50 radio and had to put in the upgrades which make it more like a $100 radio. Now, perhaps, you get the $50 with the upgrades installed including the better software.

If that is all it is, and if they did a good job with it then they will likely have a runaway success providing better value for the dollar than the original 9X. That would be a pretty good product and a great value.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:22 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,456 Posts
Quote:
In this case, Flysky does these for them, nothing in house as they claim.
Many of the products we buy which are "made" by a given company are really assemblies of standard parts.

So, if HK

* Took the FlySky core board
* Molded a new case
* Maybe changed the sticks
* Added a programmer interface
* Backlite
* Maybe some other standard components
* Flashed it with ER9X SW
* Had a contractor assemble it for them

They could easily claim this was built in house. You could not buy that specific combo from anyone else. That is how a LOT of electronics are made.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:29 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,470 Posts
If they talked to the community, they could have done much better for nearly the same production price..
They could have:
- As Renato say, replaced the regulators with an LDO
- Replaced the atmega 64 with a atmega 128 (This would make existing 9x users buy this radio like hell, as it would double flash memory and eeprom sizes)
- Re-routed the AIL and THR switches to other pins of the atmega to make it telemetry ready (just load the er9x_frsky telemetry version of the firmware instead. If you don't want it, don't have to use it, but it would be ready just in case you change your mind later) and make a connector available to connect a SOLD SEPARATELY cable with the level converter in it to the frsky module.

I'm sure I could think of a few more and they would have had produced a killer radio
They could have just asked, like frsky is doing..

P.S. - Thinking better, they could even produce the audio/voice module being developed at the moment by the er9x community and sell it separatelly. all they would have to do would be to make a connector available for it in the radio.
In time this module will allow file transfer from/to the SD Card and also unlimited model memories..
Last edited by jhsa; Dec 28, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
If they talked to the community, they could have done much better for nearly the same production price..
They could have:
- As Renato say, replaced the regulators with an LDO
- Replaced the atmega 64 with a atmega 128 (This would make existing 9x users buy this radio like hell, as it would double flash memory and eeprom sizes)
- Re-routed the AIL and THR switches to other pins of the atmega to make it telemetry ready (just load the er9x_frsky telemetry version of the firmware instead. If you don't want it, don't have to use it, but it would be ready just in case you change your mind later) and make a connector available to connect a SOLD SEPARATELY cable with the level converter in it to the frsky module.

I'm sure I could think of a few more and they would have had produced a killer radio
They could have just asked, like frsky is doing..

P.S. - Thinking better, they could even produce the audio/voice module being developed at the moment by the er9x community and sell it separatelly. all they would have to do would be to make a connector available for it in the radio.
In time this module will allow file transfer from/to the SD Card and also unlimited model memories..

There could always be a 9XR V2
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Once again, there is no interest to ease the Frsky telemetry way in this radio
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,470 Posts
Quote:
I do wonder if they read this thread or if they are closed in their own world.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Dec 2002
16,756 Posts
Quote:

Why not?
HK sells FrSky. They could sell more if they had a transmitter ready to fully take advantage of it.
Flysky does not make Telemetry, and in any case there are no FlySky modules sold by HK. They too would benefit if HK sold more 9XRs.

Win-Win-Win

I don't see the downside for any of the players.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Dec 2002
16,756 Posts
Quote:
I do wonder if they read this thread or if they are closed in their own world.
Remember, they started their own forum
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
The modification has to be made regardless of which telemetry system that is added.
As I understand things the Russian engineers who finally cracked the last part of DSMX (the channel jumping sequence) are quite close to cracking DSM telemetry. I am not up to speed on exactly what is unknown about it, but I am sure Hextronics/HobbyKing/OrangeRX would love to be able to sell a full DSM telemetry system for 9xr. But there is always a v2 :-)
dvogonen is offline Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
I suspect if they'd made it significantly better, better CPU, SD card etc as well as the better quality pots and gimbals, they could have pitched for a $100 price and still sold a bucketload.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,470 Posts
Not necessarily.. Sd card would be sold separate with the sound module..
The other CPU and extra connectors price difference might be insigificant..
Anyway wouldn't you pay $10 more for the benefit of on screen telemetry? In my opinion all these mods make more sense than the integrated antenna with an extraterrestrial connector that no one seem to know what it is
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,456 Posts
We will see as the reports come in. Not every maker is looking to make the "killer radio". Some, like HK, are building to a price point and a market.

Why is Spektrum the largest selling major brand of 2.4 when they didn't even exist 10 years ago? Because they targeted the entry level market and built up from there. Then Horizon added BnF planes based on Spektrum and brand preference grew even stronger.

Meanwhile Futaba came out with what many feel is the best RF system in FASST. But it was high end and Fxpensive. I am sure they sell a lot but I would bet Spekturm sells a lot more radios and receivers in 2.4 than Futaba. That is why Futaba came out with their new FHSS line, trying to get into that entry level market.

For 70% of the radio buyers out there the 9XR will give them all they need for a long long time. And if the channel mapping issue for BnF compatibility is addressed in the er9X software they can feed on the popularity of the Horizon BnF planes. Heck they may come out with their own DSM2/DSMX BnF line that the Spektrum users will love. DSM2/DSMX could come to dominate even more than it does now because HK is producing DSM2/DSMX radios, modules and selling DSM receivers.

If HK wants to get into the higher end radio business they have plenty of time to get there.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Mar 2002
1,125 Posts
What type of cable do I need to upgrade the 9xr to the latest version of er9x?

Do I use the same software to do the upgrade as I did with the 9x? Eepe?

Thanks.
JIMinKENTUCKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMinKENTUCKY