Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:43 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var. View Post
Why do they require a 3S when a 2S battery has enough voltage to do the job? At least on the 9X it does. I wonder if they were so lazy to not want to change the battery alarm. Or if the new radio actually requires 12 volts.
The old 9x has 7805 regulators on it thus half empty 2S will not be able to give full 5V (7805 may drop near to 3V) out with that. Some have replaced those with LDO ones to make it safe.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:45 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var. View Post
Why do they require a 3S when a 2S battery has enough voltage to do the job? At least on the 9X it does. I wonder if they were so lazy to not want to change the battery alarm. Or if the new radio actually requires 12 volts.
Because so was told by old men coming from NiMh caves
Also, the UHF reason... all LRS UHF systems I know works internally at 5V or 3.3V, all are happy when powered from 2s.

LE: Seen the above after posting, is wrong ! 7805 works ok even at 6.5V ! The 7V delivered by a 2s are more than enough. is the minimum voltage I would go on a 2s LiPo, to not break under 15% remaining charge.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:47 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
The old 9x has 7805 regulators on it thus half empty 2S will not be able to give full 5V (7805 may drop near to 3V) out with that. Some have replaced those with LDO ones to make it safe.
What's an LDO?
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:48 AM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
It wouldn't cost them much to make it capable of supporting FrSky Telemetry - just move a couple of the push buttons to different pins on the micro and add a connector to the ones you freed up.

The connector alone would make the task easier, almost plug and play. They could sell the MAX232 level shifter on a board with the matching plugs for $5, just like they do the programmer.

Pat MacKenzie
Yes, that would have been doable.
But it would have broken compatibility with all existing open source firmware. I don't think they saw that as an option.

It is a pity that they didn't communicate with the core open source developers during development. There are actually only about 4 active at the moment. They could have gotten support for whatever change they wanted if they just asked for it. Another version of the processor with more memory being the most important one...
dvogonen is offline Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:01 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Because so was told by old men coming from NiMh caves
Also, the UHF reason... all LRS UHF systems I know works internally at 5V or 3.3V, all are happy when powered from 2s.

LE: Seen the above after posting, is wrong ! 7805 works ok even at 6.5V ! The 7V delivered by a 2s are more than enough. is the minimum voltage I would go on a 2s LiPo, to not break under 15% remaining charge.
Thats the Tru-Tru (just watched Cloud Atlas). Also running off 3S makes it much less efficient and wastes a lot of power.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:08 AM
suffering pilot
İSTANBUL-TÜRKİYE
Joined Apr 2006
103 Posts
Choosing a module ?

I plan to purchase a 9XR but need advice on choosing a module.
I dont have enough knowledge on modules.Which is the best module for a 9XR in thiis picture ????
emreozcakmak is offline Find More Posts by emreozcakmak
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:13 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
And don't forget that wasted power = heat.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:24 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emreozcakmak View Post
I plan to purchase a 9XR but need advice on choosing a module.
I dont have enough knowledge on modules.Which is the best module for a 9XR in thiis picture ????
Upper left, or lower right (same module) FrSky!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:36 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
1,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Hmh, should not write anything from memory... the 7805 datasheet states 2V drop at 1A so it is fine.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
To BrettAltea:
If you have the luxury of not having to be compatible with anything , you should definitely go with a FrSky module. That is a top grade system.
I don't know why their stuff works so well, but it does. If you want bells and whistles, they have got it. A well proven telemetry system . If you just want simple, inexpensive and lightweight receivers, they have got that to. And it all works together.
dvogonen is offline Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:57 AM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
To BrettAltea:
If you have the luxury of not having to be compatible with anything , you should definitely go with a FrSky module. That is a top grade system.
I don't know why their stuff works so well, but it does. If you want bells and whistles, they have got it. A well proven telemetry system . If you just want simple, inexpensive and lightweight receivers, they have got that to. And it all works together.
I was just wondering, why they don't have bluetooth add-on ready for their module, now you still need do hacks if you wish to make anything useful with telemetry.
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Jul 2011
242 Posts
3S LiFe is the best choice= 9,9 volts
michel49 is offline Find More Posts by michel49
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:37 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,559 Posts
looks like the Firmware has now been made available at http://turnigy9xr.com/source/tgy-9XRv1-1.rar
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:40 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,608 Posts
I know the 9X power schematic based on 7805, but... why are we so sure they didn't switched to a lossless solution in 9XR ?
There are today available hybrid 7805 replacements same layout same size, but switched version.
If true, then the 2-3s debate is without meaning.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:58 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
To BrettAltea:
That's one I'm considering but want to see a tutorial on how to install it in the 9XR first. Also don't want an external aerial either. Will have to wait and see I guess. Really, really wish HK would expound on their module plans. Crap that they haven't as currently people have a useless radio if they don't want an antenna sticking out the back.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea