HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Beware to the terms meaning: 9XR is a future radio, ER9X is the actual software of 9X radios
I read somewhere there is an ER9X emulator allowing you to learn operating on a PC, not tried it. Run and judge yourself how easy is to navigate.
No, not exactly. There is an off-line programmer and mix simulator called Eepe. It's a must-have tool for any Er9x user. As for Er9x itself, like any interface, it becomes intuitive when learned. The fact that it is very different from the other big interfaces means it does have a learning curve. In the firmware itself there aren't many hand-holding things. Everything is reduced to basic principles (mixes): delta wing, v-tail, etc. Eepe does have templates for setting up the basic stuff, which is a dramatic help to the uninitiated. Eepe lets you simulate the mixes which is extremely handy. And it lets you practice doing all kinds of cool things. For example for fun I did a differential throttle mix for steering a plane with just two motors, and also a flapperon/spoileron mix that uses the knob to vary the drop/raise, and other things. Eepe makes it easy, but of course you can do it with the Er9x UI. But having only a few buttons and arrow keys makes this fine granularity of mixing a bit more cumbersome.

All that said, 90% of people out there will do fine with the pre-fab mixes that most of the big name radios come with it.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
...and theres room for considerable improvement on the telemetry version. unfortunately development has pretty much come to a standstill. apparently they have all moved on to the arm hardware which, personally, i dont quite get.
If 9XR will be telemetry enabled by default
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
If 9XR will be telemetry enabled by default
If it's DSM2, that is doubtful. DSM2 itself provides no telemetry. Spektrum's telemetry seems to be added on somehow as it works with older DSM2 systems, but uses some sort of separate back channel.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
functional defaults would be nice. several locals in addition to myself have upgraded to er9x now and not one was able to use it w/o screwing around with settings. in some cases it takes many hours to get things working. almost impossible unless youre an rc groups groupie. hopefully hk will do something about that.

and theres room for considerable improvement on the telemetry version. unfortunately development has pretty much come to a standstill. apparently they have all moved on to the arm hardware which, personally, i dont quite get.
Agreed to a point. However it might be that a fork of Er9x might be more appropriate for such development. Er9x is focused quite rightly on the needs of its core users.

I got my Er9x working right away just by reading the online docs and manual, and by using Eepe right away. Eepe has the templates for all the standard mixes (airplane, delta wing, v-tail, etc) and they work out of the box. Then you can look at them with Eepe and very quickly grasp what's going on and build on them from there.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:53 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
I got my Er9x working right away just by reading the online docs and manual, and by using Eepe right away. Eepe has the templates for all the standard mixes (airplane, delta wing, v-tail, etc) and they work out of the box. Then you can look at them with Eepe and very quickly grasp what's going on and build on them from there.
My experience too. I love ER9x. But I'm not sure it will appeal to people for whom setting D/R on a DX6i seems like a major challenge. The current crop of ER9x users is pretty much self-selected and most are ready to spend some time with the manual and eePe. Not sure if ER9x would work for a wider audience looking for step-by-step hand-holding.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
yes. thats same conclusion i came to. unfortunately 99% of those its being recommended fall into exactly that category. i guess it does give rcgroups gurus (and me locally) opportunity for attention. tuff luck for those who do not spend most of their time on a pc or dont even own one. still a good value for the money.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2011
19 Posts
The wait is killing me here, when is the anticipated release date because I needed a cheapo transmitter badly but at the same time don't want to invest in a 9x because I want to see what the 9xr has to offer.
thekesh is offline Find More Posts by thekesh
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekesh View Post
The wait is killing me here, when is the anticipated release date because I needed a cheapo transmitter badly but at the same time don't want to invest in a 9x because I want to see what the 9xr has to offer.
Maybe goes into production in early august... so you're guess for release is as good as mine, maybe late august?
theRCexperiment is offline Find More Posts by theRCexperiment
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
How do you say vaporware in Australian?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:05 PM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
I think "M4 east extension" is the aussie term for vaporware... (those in Sydney will understand)
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:35 AM
Gear Up And Locked
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Hello 9x'ers,

I just recieved my er9x. As suspected it came with no manual. I see where there may be some online documentation and set up notes.Some binding instructions would be helpful and Rx battery polarity. My last bout with a HK 2.4 was far less than desireable w/o any manual. I sent it back for one of the 9x's. If there is any online doc's I would appreciate passing the links along.

Thanks,
Wicker Bill
wicker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by wicker_Bill
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:31 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
890 Posts
Wicker Bill

When you say you got a er9x do you mean you bought a Turnigy 9X radio from HobbyKing? If so then you have the stock TX so need to read the Stock manual which is under the Files Tab at the bottom on the Hobby King page for the radio. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

ER9X is Custom Firmware for this Radio. You need a programming board added to the Radio then the Firmware can be uploaded to the Radio. This it totally recommended btw. IF you got a Radio that has been upgraded, check out the ER9X page here http://code.google.com/p/er9x/
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gear Up And Locked
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
DeathWarmedUp,

Yes I bought a Turnigy 9x from HK. Wasn't sure about the ER9x. I followed a link that was on the comments section of the radio spec page. It spoke about upgrades and "Backlight" so I went to the link and saw all these upgrades. I may be interested in the "Backlight" upgrade in the future, but right now I don't want to spend any more USA $ on a radio that may or may not work. These HK radio's are a crap shoot. It's a role of the dice if they work properly or can program correctly.

I'll check out the firmware tab for the manual. I didn't know it was posted there. Thanks for the quick response and help.

BTW, I love your country. I was in NSW in 98 for the Indy car race. (Surfers Paradise), Wow what a great place to play.

Have a Gooday Mate!!!!
Wicker Bill
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:08 PM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
890 Posts
Wicker Bill,

Your welcome mate - the Turnigy 9X is a great radio - I have two both upgraded with Backlight, ER9X and FrSky DJT kits. Some guys have problems with some but I think its actually not that common - mainly seems to be bad soldering on the switches which can easily be fixed. There are now about 6 Turnigy 9X's in our club and the guys love them. Note these are ALL upgraded to FrSky kits which is only $39 USD + freight from HobbyKing and includes 1 x 8 channel receiver so its a great deal.

btw, Surfers Paradise is in Queensland where I am (actually 3 hours drive north) - you will p1ss off us Queenslander's saying its in NSW - lol
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:14 PM
Gear Up And Locked
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
9xers,

Can the EUP GLE be used for the 9X? This is what's posted on the HK site under the 9x Manual Part 1. Part 2 looks like it's only intended for heli's. My 9x is supposed to have V2 firmware. Does this make a difference. When binding the EUP GLE manual refers to a 10th channel for connecting the BIND lead. My 9x came with an 8 Ch Rx. Is the bind proceedure the same as any other 2.4 radio? In other words will I plug the BIND lead into one of the channels and the Rx battery into the battery port then press the bind button to bind the Tx & Rx?

Wicker Bill