HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingz View Post
The ERSKY9x board (just the board) is $95. If the 9XR is reasonably high quality at $50, I think HK is making a contribution of sorts to the RC community. It's not the same level of contribution as the 9X developers are making, but it's not nothing.
Just leaning on my experience in electronics manufacturing. ERSKY9X is 95 bucks because of volumes and manufacturing costs of the contract smt processes. I would think Hobby King could negotiate a better deal and get better prices on parts and the cost of the PCB. The guys doing ERSKY9X were doing small runs of boards. The bulk of smt cost is time and labor doing the setup of the machines. Once that is done its easy to push them through. Example Raspberry PI is 25 bucks and it has much more expensive components .

The point is that upgrading the CPU to a arm series would have been incidental to the cost and er9x code would still run on the radio

OK I let it rest. People are starting to complain about the length of this thread.....
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
The 9XR cost $50 because all the hard work was done by the community now HK take credit for it and everyone input in the ER9X firmware.
AlexNZ is offline Find More Posts by AlexNZ
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:55 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,575 Posts
yep, they didn't have to pay people to develop the software..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Last info from HK "Please note: There is a new user manual available, the acknowledgements were left out by accident in the rush to release the 9XR for you on Christmas Day."
AlexNZ is offline Find More Posts by AlexNZ
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:58 PM
The connaisseur's connaisseur.
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
They say they have corrected their wrong doings, didn't really check but at least it looks like they're working on it.

Here's a screenshot from the forum on the transmitter page.
ArthurNava is offline Find More Posts by ArthurNava
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,641 Posts
Several apologies from HK on their web site, see comments at http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Module_.html
"
HobbyKing_Admin 8783 points - 27/12/2012

Please note: There is a new user manual available, the acknowledgements were left out by accident in the rush to release the 9XR for you on Christmas Day. "

OK alex beat me to it!
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Last edited by ChrisJ800; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:01 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Which is fine, so long as they give credit to er9x.

Also cheap because a lot of the components lifted from FlySky 9x so as to be compatible with er9x.

Which leads me to think the delay was trying to get the DSMX protocol right, hence why they didn't release the module with it. Which, if true, must place a big question mark over the Orange DSM2/DSMX module. If the Orange module was great surely it would've been easy to do the 9XR module.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNZ View Post
The 9XR cost $50 because all the hard work was done by the community now HK take credit for it and everyone input in the ER9X firmware.
It would still be a $50 radio even if they used the original FlySky firmware.

Its a $50 radio because its a $50 radio. Its a $50 radio because its just a $50 radio re-fried to still be a $50 radio.

The cost has nothing to do with it having ER9X. What having ER9X on it does, is provide added value to the customer, and in turn that drives up sales.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:05 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,575 Posts
er9x already has DSM support as far as I know.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX View Post
Example Raspberry PI is 25 bucks and it has much more expensive components .
The point is that upgrading the CPU to a arm series would have been incidental to the cost and er9x code would still run on the radio
Raspberry Pi is self described as a "charity". Plus, you're referring to the version A for $25, and the parts cost is less. It's also just a board. Most of that assembly is automated. Just look at what a plain acrylic case costs for that thing. $15-$20. Still no buttons, keys, display, etc. The 9XR assembly has to be by hand, and it has switches, pots, a display, the new case, etc. It's here now and at $50 because they didn't do what the complainers wanted them to do. Where is the FrSky Tx? The XPS 3216 Tx? How much will they cost? You need to evaluate this product for what it is.
wingz is offline Find More Posts by wingz
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:13 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
er9x already has DSM support as far as I know.
There is no need for the software to have specific protocol support since the module acts as a middle man, changing PPM into the protocol used by said module and then send it out.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Not quite 18, but there are modules out there that support up to the 16 channels that ER9X can do in PPM mode. XPS is one example.
It will do up to 18. 9 through trainer in PPM and 9 through the module. If you use 2 receivers, and the DJT and the DHT, you will have an 18 CH transmitter.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
I think the 9xr is overrated, but the 9x is good,

I bought it anyway, and if I like it, I will keep it. If I don't, many people would be ready to pay me full price so they don't need to get it on backorder
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:54 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
It will do up to 18. 9 through trainer in PPM and 9 through the module. If you use 2 receivers, and the DJT and the DHT, you will have an 18 CH transmitter.
DJT and DHT are both 8 channel modules..
So 8+8=16 At least here where I live
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
DJT and DHT are both 8 channel modules..
So 8+8=16 At least here where I live
I am stupid. My bad.

Maybe a bit of soldering you can take some 9CH PCM 72 Mhz modules and a breadboard and make a dual receiver 18 CH TX...