HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:51 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX View Post
True, but the 9x has been out for quite some time already. I think hobby king would have been ok with upgrading the internals even if it was based on ersky9x board. this would have had a code base to mod from and would have added a lot of those features. Without changing to much of the heritage of the 9x, and I dont think it would have impacted cost to much
this is still all speculations but if its so similar to the 9X who it is to say that the ersky9x board wont fit?

I dont think it would be long seeing a ersky9x board fitted on the 9xr...
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
At least then it would have something to differentiate it from the 9X.

9XR website is pointless, there is already the 9X forums where the real code developers and hardcore users driving development hang out.

Why would they monitor the 9XR web site, unless HK does something to aknowledge them?
The differentiation is already significant if it is indeed higher quality and doesn't require mods. Most people will feel that way. Those of you who love to tinker and mod might see it differently.

The real developers and hardcore users are going to be a tiny part of the market. That's a sign of success. It's unlikely that a highly technical forum will suit the casual user.

Don't get me wrong; I am amazed at what the 9X developers have done. I think the software is awesome. That goes for EEPE, Companion9X, and the excellent documentation efforts. That being said, I sure hope the 9X coders are doing this for enjoyment and not an ego stroke.

$50 is not a lot to charge for an 8 channel programmable radio. HK is not going to get rich selling these things. Seriously, look at how much receivers sell for -- even the decent knock-offs. $15 to $20 for almost nothing. The ERSKY9x board (just the board) is $95. If the 9XR is reasonably high quality at $50, I think HK is making a contribution of sorts to the RC community. It's not the same level of contribution as the 9X developers are making, but it's not nothing.
wingz is offline Find More Posts by wingz
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:25 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,851 Posts
I am not suggesting that the developers and hardcore users are the majority of users, but that suggestions for changes in the 9XR forum will fall on the ears of those incapable of acting on them.
Ditto for support on how to make the best use out of existing features. And enhancements to ER9X will be going on, with nothing on 9XR forums about it.
The firmware they ship it with, based on the screen shots, is reported to be quite old already.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
The firmware they ship it with, based on the screen shots, is reported to be quite old already.

Pat MacKenzie
I think the first thing I'm going to do is make a backup of the installed firmware and then flash it with the latest er9x. I'm sure there has been many bug fixes to the code.
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
591 Posts
Ditto

And, yes, I think they should be giving developers credit on the Product pages and firmware About at the very least.
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:44 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna View Post
I think the first thing I'm going to do is make a backup of the installed firmware and then flash it with the latest er9x. I'm sure there has been many bug fixes to the code.
This would be another reason for them to release their modified source code - they could have moved the I/O around. So be sure to back up their firmware just in case.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
2,887 Posts
If they would have asked the firmware developers opinion and worked together with them, they would have ended up with a much better radio.
atmega128
telemetry ready
rotary encoder
voice module.. (voice module for the 9x with sd card support for model storage is being developed now)

That's where frsky is smarter.. that is what they did.. they listen to the people and to the developers and they will end up with a few kick a** radios..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
601 Posts
Imagine if HK had of designed this radio in partnership with the er9x community! If they had of said to the er9x developers, "What would you like us to include in this board?" They could've had a more powerful processor etc and a community that was more than happy to code for it as it would give the programmers greater head room with what it's capable of.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
601 Posts
Whoops. Hadn't read jhsa comment which basically said the same thing.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:25 PM
2Vision-Air
Blainville, Quebec, Canada
Joined Aug 2009
2,000 Posts
Yes, imagine, but that is not what they did, they created a cheap 50$ radio already modded like we almost all moded our 9x, so i hope we can stay on topic here and stop talking sh$%t, i you guys did not buy one, wont buy one please stop posting, it just makes the thread too long to read for information.
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
Yes, imagine, but that is not what they did, they created a cheap 50$ radio already modded like we almost all moded our 9x, so i hope we can stay on topic here and stop talking sh$%t, i you guys did not buy one, wont buy one please stop posting, it just makes the thread too long to read for information.
Woah,
Someone didn't have their morning coffee.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:32 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
2,887 Posts
Quote:
it just makes the thread too long to read for information.
LOL, what information? No one has the radio yet
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:33 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,770 Posts
Quote:
it just makes the thread too long to read for information.
Too late. The best thing to do is close this one and start a new thread when the Tx is in people's hands.... A month from now. Since no one has one in their hands, it doesn't matter who is posting.

Edit. Hehe jhsa beat me to it.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
601 Posts
Well bachos I have already purchased one so don't know what your beef is.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
258 Posts
The thing that kept me waiting for the 9XR, was DSMX compatability. I've got a boat load of receivers.

Supposedly the new module is on the way.....
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk