HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget-Geek View Post
For those who care, Here's a little info about a complaint Horizon Hobby filed against Chinese companies cloning their products. It also expresses the hardware and code patents and their respective patent numbers. If I understand correctly, Those who are upset at HK are upset because they are using FREE code that is not protected under any copyrights, Just a flimsy open source agreement but they are totally O.K. with every other manufacturer in china who changes or modifies patented code?
Remember, Orx is not a clone. It does not use the same circuit board layout or code on the chip. Not even sure if it uses the same chip (probably). So hardware/software patents will not be able to touch it. Also a patent is not an almighty copyright, it is just a document giving the RIGHT TO SUE not the protection from copying.

And yes, if you release something under GPL you want it to be copied and distributed! That was the whole point of copyleft, to free everyone from the worry of copyright (or the copied product being copyrighted). Hell, if I wrote a program and then I released it under Creative-Commons (my choice of copyleft) the only condition I would care about would be (negotiable) not for profit which, in this case, HobbyKing haven't broken since they aren't making money directly from the software but the hardware.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:59 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
2,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
I'm not rich enough to buy a LiFE battery just for my TX.
This is not too bad IMHO
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14076
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:01 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,521 Posts
Quote:
For those who care, Here's a little info about a complaint Horizon Hobby filed against Chinese companies cloning their products. http://www.itcblog.com/20110114/hori...and-receivers/ It also expresses the hardware and code patents and their respective patent numbers. Click on the highlighted area that says complaint in the first paragraph. If I understand correctly, Those who are upset at HK are upset because they are using FREE code that is not protected under any copyrights, Just a flimsy open source agreement but they are totally O.K. with every other manufacturer in china who changes or modifies patented code?
The KoKo issue is likely VERY painful for Horizon as the are producing "knock offs" that look to be Spektrum authentic. That is a super big mess for them as they have folks buying those and then returning them for service issues.

I know from our brand name and patents you must vigorously defend those or you can lose your right to do that. I don't know if they have filed anything against HobbyKing but as you note - they are very careful to make the product look VERY different (I suspect this was the reason for the Orange) and make it clear "these are not Spektrum products".

But China skirts the world laws regularly and it is tough to enforce but you have to try - or you can lose your patents/copyrights.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,521 Posts
Quote:
No, I meant the red, two pole JST plug. And I wasn't talking about TX packs but standard 3s LiPos, I'm not rich enough to buy a LiFE battery just for my TX.

And I welcome the change, as what is the point of using a 3 pin connector when only two are being used (and I don't have any batteries with this plug).
This one is under $7:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FZGiPAodUmwApg

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:14 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post

That's the one I use in my Futaba 7C, and its great. I guess I'll have to solder on a JST connector.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:14 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the help but I was happy using the Zippy 1000mAh 3s ($4 from memory) that I found on my work bench 3 seconds after breaking the NiMH holder.

Until I fried the electronics. You win some, you lose some.

May have enough money spare for a slightly more expensive battery when I order the 9XR but we will see, the TX is a necessity but LiFE (for me) is not.

EDIT: I must sound like a clutz but the to broken parts were 6 months apart! But I did recently drop my DX5i on the sticks, ruining the gimbals (nothing a bit of hotglue cant fix). F***! I think you may be right!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:17 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Oh and here is a solution to reverse polarity problem, using the standard servo connector. Have the transmitter male side, outer pins both be connected to ground, center pin is positive.

Problem solved, User can plug the standard servo connector that comes on a normal TX pack any orientation and it works.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Oh and it looks like HK shipped my Tx this morning.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,521 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help but I was happy using the Zippy 1000mAh 3s ($4 from memory) that I found on my work bench 3 seconds after breaking the NiMH holder.
But use of flight packs (higher "C") is just not wise for TX's. That LiFe is very reasonable should fit well and is made for the low draw of the TX and can stay fully charged with no ill effects (that is what kills the high C packs).

Design use is important - not just cost. And candidly a sub $8 battery just isn't too much money IMHO.

I just spent, on an impulse, almost $300 and brought home the BNF eFlight Hurricane for heaven sake.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:23 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp View Post
Oh and here is a solution to reverse polarity problem, using the standard servo connector. Have the transmitter male side, outer pins both be connected to ground, center pin is positive.

Problem solved, User can plug the standard servo connector that comes on a normal TX pack any orientation and it works.
I prefer one way fits and only using what you need (e.g. # of pins).

I don't know but it may be the engineer side of me talking
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:29 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
But use of flight packs (higher "C") is just not wise for TX's. That LiFe is very reasonable should fit well and is made for the low draw of the TX and can stay fully charged with no ill effects (that is what kills the high C packs).

Design use is important - not just cost. And candidly a sub $8 battery just isn't too much money IMHO.

I just spent, on an impulse, almost $300 and brought home the BNF eFlight Hurricane for heaven sake.

Mike
$300???

The most I have ever spent on one order, that was not shared with a friend, was $97 including shipping! And before you say I'm cheap I am a student about to start my second year of uni and only get 10 hours a week at work (the min for a part-timer here).

But this is getting waaaay off topic, so lets end it here.

Ok everybody, when I buy the 9XR I WILL get the recommended LiFE low C battery! (happy?)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Apparently more than once, Heres a link to Spektrums DSM2 page The first line under "Overview" states "Employing Spektrum's patented MultiLink™ DSM2® technology", I just call it how I see it. Here's the link so you can tell Spektrum that they are wrong! http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMAR12000
Multilink has nothing to do with the protocol at all; it's basically receiver antenna diversity. And even if it is patented, what are the patent numbers so we can inspect the patents and find out exactly how the are doing things? Patents are not trade secrets. By definition a patent is a revealing of the special way in which something is done or made. If there is a secret sauce that is patented, the patent must reveal what that is. And HK can work around the patent. That's the whole point of patents, though sadly many or most companies out there seem to abuse them.

Unless Spektrum is willing to specify the patent numbers they feel HK is infringing on, then HK's best course of action is to continue. Until they do, "patented" is merely a Spektrum marketing term.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:37 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,118 Posts
In Gadget's link above the patent numbers were listed

Quote:
The complaint alleges that Koko Technology Ltd. of China (“Koko”), and Cyclone Toy & Hobby of China (“Cyclone”) unlawfully import into the U.S., sell for importation, and/or sell within the U.S. after importation certain radio control hobby transmitters and receivers and products containing same that infringe U.S. Patent No. 7,391,320 (the ‘320 patent), U.S. Copyright Registration No. TX-7-226-001, and U.S. Trademark Reg. No. 3,080,770 for the mark SPEKTRUM.
But even if they weren't, a patent search should be able to turn them up.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
In Gadget's link above the patent numbers were listed

But even if they weren't, a patent search should be able to turn them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.google.com/patents/US7391320
The present invention is a method and system for controlling a RC device via a secure radio link. In one embodiment of the invention, spread spectrum modulation may be employed which may provide a digital radio frequency (RF) link between a controller and a RC device. A controller may be coupled with a transmitter module and a radio controlled device may be coupled with a receiver module in accordance with the present invention to provide an add-on upgrade capability. The method and system for controlling a RC device may also include error detection and correction, interpolation of lost packets, failsafe technology and force-feedback telemetric technology to further enhance the user experience with radio controlled devices.
The description either states every spread spectrum 2.4GHz modular transmitter system ever made or the exact Spektrum hardware.

And the drawings supplied with the document do no clear it up as they mainly focuses on a race car going around a track.

I conclude, since it does not mention exactly how the protocol works nor does it mention DSM2 or DSMX in anyway, that it does not affect Orx or the DSM module in any way.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,220 Posts
boy..... if we can start getting those remotes home then the drama can end....
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member