HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:00 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Since you already have a decent radio, that would be wiser purchase.
It turns out that Hobbyking will only give store credit for cancelled orders.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:29 AM
The Ottoman Flyer
USA, TX, Galveston
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
It turns out that Hobbyking will only give store credit for cancelled orders.
Just ask them to refund the money to your paypal. Unless you ask for it they wont do it.
Ottomite is offline Find More Posts by Ottomite
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:31 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,448 Posts
regarding what battery fits the thing I've asked HK Support and this is what they answered...

Q:Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mode 2 (No Module) Product ID: 9171000184 which is the reccomended battery for the turingy 9rx transmitter?
would these batteries fit ?
life HobbyKing 1500mAH LiFe 3S 9.9v Transmitter pack PRODUCT ID: HK.1500.TX.Llipo
Turnigy 2650mAh 3S 1C LLF Tx Pack (Futaba/JR). PRODUCT ID: T2650.3S.1C

A: Thanks for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team.We have the original 9XR battery coming in a short while.If you want to have the battery now, this should fit fine, however you would need to change the discharge plug to JST in order to fit in 9XR:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...taba_JR_.htmlI hope this info is helpful,have a great day and best of luck with your upcoming project!
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Last edited by ckleanth; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:45 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomite View Post
Just ask them to refund the money to your paypal. Unless you ask for it they wont do it.
Actually, I think the best idea for me is to keep both radios. I'll just use the 9x as a backup and trainer. It's a little too late for refunding and hobbyking is certain to mess something up if they try.

Hopefully the internal antenna problem won't be too bad. The only way to know is to wait for the 9xr to arrive and test it out.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:20 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
How many times do we have to go over it?

I can nearly quote the pages, 30-35 and 55-60!

A protocol, an electronic language, can not be patented just like any other form of language! the only things that can be patented is hardware and software and JR/Spektrum doesn't even own the hardware! The chip is designed and made by some Chinese mob and is the same one, to my knowledge, as in the Flysky/FrSky (can't remember which) module!
Apparently more than once, Heres a link to Spektrums DSM2 page The first line under "Overview" states "Employing Spektrum's patented MultiLink™ DSM2® technology", I just call it how I see it. Here's the link so you can tell Spektrum that they are wrong! http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMAR12000
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:27 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
A protocol, an electronic language, can not be patented just like any other form of language! the only things that can be patented is hardware and software and JR/Spektrum doesn't even own the hardware! The chip is designed and made by some Chinese mob and is the same one, to my knowledge, as in the Flysky/FrSky (can't remember which) module!

FWIW, Spektrum and Walkera use Cypress chipset, FlySky uses Amiccom, FrSky uses (I think ) TI chipset.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:28 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget-Geek View Post
Apparently more than once, Heres a link to Spektrums DSM2 page The first line under "Overview" states "Employing Spektrum's patented MultiLink™ DSM2® technology", I just call it how I see it. Here's the link so you can tell Spektrum that they are wrong! http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMAR12000
The patented 'DSM2 technology' could be referring to the software loaded onto the chip or the lay out of the circuit board itself.

But there has been no patent broken now or every will be by someone white-room reverse engineering (not looking at the original code, just input/output) a protocol.

Not saying that ORX definitely didn't look at the code, but I am pretty sure they did not copy it but write their own.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
FWIW, Spektrum and Walkera use Cypress chipset, FlySky uses Amiccom, FrSky uses (I think ) TI chipset.

Pat MacKenzie
Ahh, it was Walkera I was thinking of, thanks for correcting me.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Looking forward to the reports once the radios arrive.

And this business about the internal antenna is way over blown. I think the antenna in the handle is a GREAT idea! Protectes it from harm and places it at a great angle. I fly my 2.4 with the antenna out to the side all the time.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:53 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Hobbyking, what was the reasoning behind using JST for the battery?!
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:58 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp View Post
Hobbyking, what was the reasoning behind using JST for the battery?!
This is my theory.

Most 3s batteries that fit in the battery bay have JST plugs and quite a few users (me included) burned the chip by accidentally reversing the polarity while using a 3s + JST on their 9X.

So they made sure the 'standard plug' could only be inserted on way (unlike on the 9X, causing the issues stated above)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Molond,

You must be thinking of JST-HX plug, which is the "balance" lead on most 3s packs. The JST plug that is included on the Turnigy 9XR is the plain, two pole JST plug that is found on many smaller park flyer models. No transmitter packs I've seen yet have that one.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:36 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp View Post
Molond,

You must be thinking of JST-HX plug, which is the "balance" lead on most 3s packs. The JST plug that is included on the Turnigy 9XR is the plain, two pole JST plug that is found on many smaller park flyer models. No transmitter packs I've seen yet have that one.
No, I meant the red, two pole JST plug. And I wasn't talking about TX packs but standard 3s LiPos, I'm not rich enough to buy a LiFE battery just for my TX.

And I welcome the change, as what is the point of using a 3 pin connector when only two are being used (and I don't have any batteries with this plug).
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,815 Posts
If you want a "standard" plug , the red JST is as close as you will come in a small size.

Most transmitters use some sort of brand specific plug that is not as easy to find.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:42 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
For those who care, Here's a little info about a complaint Horizon Hobby filed against Chinese companies cloning their products. http://www.itcblog.com/20110114/hori...and-receivers/ It also expresses the hardware and code patents and their respective patent numbers. Click on the highlighted area that says complaint in the first paragraph. If I understand correctly, Those who are upset at HK are upset because they are using FREE code that is not protected under any copyrights, Just a flimsy open source agreement but they are totally O.K. with every other manufacturer in china who changes or modifies patented code?
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek