14,727 Posts
Check HK forums and earlier in this thread
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:10 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Renatoa, I wonder if you are not such a neutral commentator as it seems likely you are colaborating on the FrSky Tx. I have no loyalty to either brand and may buy both but generally your posts have been for public information and helpful.

It seems a shame FrSky and Hobbyking are producing competing products. If they had have collaborated together on tooling, protocol, features (sliders) etc, we probably would have ended up with a better, cheaper product as their volumes for amortization would have doubled essentially.
ReaperRob is offline Find More Posts by ReaperRob
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:23 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
756 Posts
I think its actually good... More competition equals more features at a better price for us.

And the Big Boys can go.........
DeathWarmedUp is online now Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
well, i'm not affiliated with either and yes, DSM2 sucks compared to FrySky.

DSMX is fine. But i doubt they would produce a DSMX radio as it's still pretty new. Making a DSM2 radio sort of make sense, as you'd get compatibility with all HorizonHobby products, and that's a strong selling point.

If you don't plan to use DSM2 receivers however.. i'd stay away from it. DSM2 *works* but:
- reconnect delay is rather long on connection loss IMO

- by design it uses 2 DSSS freqs, and while I don't know if that may impact third party TXes, the HH ones sometimes select the 2 same frequencies (nice bug :P) which means if anyone else actively transmitting on the same one, your range will be extremely reduced. if not, its stil only 2 DSSS freqs, and DSSS ain't magic (FHSS ain't either but most implementations spread the signal over the whole spektrum. DSSS is a smaller, contiguous segment)

- if you have either used the AR6400 and related ultra micro RXs, you might know those have a pretty bad sensitivity. I "reliably" fail-safe at 500-700m with my DX7 in many different environments (its better with full range RXes obviously).

The point being, the micro frsky rxs fare a lot better. And again, the DSMX full range seem to fix all the aforementioned issues.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
DSM2?!?!? i highly doubt that.
It does have a built in DSM2. Cheap! And DMS2 is just unsafe.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
depends how much the 9xr is and how much the frsky is.
Less then 200 we don't know yet of the price. Some say around 150ish for Frsky 12ch
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:52 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,049 Posts
First to the finish! I'm buying the first of these two radios to come out... as long as the software is polished and isn't in Chinglish.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
First to the finish! I'm buying the first of these two radios to come out... as long as the software is polished and isn't in Chinglish.
LOL true. I think Frsky software will be well polished then hk. Hk can't even get their instruction polish on their own stuff. But we don't know yet. Yea I think I might grab the HK just for heck of it. I heard suppose to be below 100 dollars. Let just wait.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:05 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,727 Posts
Isn't 9XR supposed to run ER9X ?
If so, what additional polish you expect, other than a logo ?
Are there rumors for an ER9X fork, for 9XR and the rest ?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Are there rumors for an ER9X fork, for 9XR and the rest ?
Is 9XR easy to nevagate? Polished to me in software would be everything
working how it suppose to, nevagate easily like a Futaba 8fg Super or 9cap.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,727 Posts
Beware to the terms meaning: 9XR is a future radio, ER9X is the actual software of 9X radios
I read somewhere there is an ER9X emulator allowing you to learn operating on a PC, not tried it. Run and judge yourself how easy is to navigate.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:26 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11 View Post
It does have a built in DSM2. Cheap! And DMS2 is just unsafe.
good! remember the rule of thumb: if it pisses off horizon, that automatically adds an extra star in reviews.
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
good! remember the rule of thumb: if it pisses off horizon, that automatically adds an extra star in reviews.
Horizon know the problem they solved it with DSMX. I'm still against it but
hey who doesn't like having extra transmitter to try out then maybe throw them
away on trash. Just kidding. It's very interesting these two radios. And yes horizon
cant do crap about hk they ain't even doing anything to those dsm2 compatible receiver. Maybe I'll get one just because I wanna fly those mini heli but that's it. Not interested their other heli they still adding low end electronic.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
Remember this radio is supposed to be module based and have internal 2.4ghz right ? https://twitter.com/hobbykinglive/st...80311134060544

I dont see how being able to control the most popular line of UM planes and helis + BNF stuff AND being able to have a module to control whatever else you want is a bad thing...

So DSM2 for the majority of people, as dangerous as DSM2 is. It still works in most situations, and then the module for anything else...
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:41 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
functional defaults would be nice. several locals in addition to myself have upgraded to er9x now and not one was able to use it w/o screwing around with settings. in some cases it takes many hours to get things working. almost impossible unless youre an rc groups groupie. hopefully hk will do something about that.

and theres room for considerable improvement on the telemetry version. unfortunately development has pretty much come to a standstill. apparently they have all moved on to the arm hardware which, personally, i dont quite get.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993