HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:16 AM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Joel View Post
It's incredible how many people are thick in the head, and how many jump to typing sensationalised articles and fuel the e-drama in a bid to drive traffic to their own websites (ala fpvcentral.com ) whilst posturing as if to have the best interests of others at heart.

Don't let a bit of fact just smack you in the head on the way through...

Clearly it shows that their direction means to have "forked" the er9x software, as it seems they will be running their own branches. Anyone can contribute, and the project maintainers will obviously incorporate new features in to the official stream/branch of the software. Nowhere do they claim THEY made the software either, contrary to the sensationalist comments made in this discussion.

Once the source code is up for everyone to download, if in the source code there is no mention of the original developers then beat your drums, pound your chests and spam the internet with as much e-drama as you can create. Until then the arm-chair lawyers can stick a pie in it, HK hasn't even released information on the battery or half the gear that's in the photos.
+1
Yay finally some sensible comment instead of all the flying off the hat.

"Give peace a chance"
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:18 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
As I said, previously, give it a month and from then on out it will be referred to as HK's firmware and ER9X will be no part of it.
You are probably correct. And it will be mentioned mainly along the lines of "I replaced HK's firmware with the latest version of ER9X/Open9X/radioclone"

I just don't see how they will be able to keep up with the pace of development of ER9X. Unless they have also cloned Mike and Erraz

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Of course HK can use er9x. The license specifically states they can and can use it on stuff they sell for a profit. However it does need to specify that their firmware is based on er9x (and burying it deep in a manual isn't really clear enough to provide attribution) and they need to provide the source code. What they don't need to do is give money or pay a royalty, though personally it would be a nice gesture to donate $2000 or, at least, have a link encouraging others to donate.

Remember it is still early days. With the lead up to Christmas and the release of the 9XR some of these things may have temporarily got overlooked which, while a shame, can be easily corrected by Hobbyking. Hopefully they do the above small steps promptly as the compliance with the license costs nothing.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:29 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
Right or wrong, Legal or not, Don't expect a big company to do the "Moral thing" as this cuts into profits. This debate didn't stop me or 500 others from selling this radio out in 3-4 hours. If you really feel that the firmware developers should be credited, Donate if you bought a radio, I did, Don't forget to donate to Thus, If it wasn't for him then there wouldn't be eR9x. My personal feelings are that HK should have marketed this as third party firmware ready and let the end user decide which FW to use. I think that they should have said they spent six years developing a radio that would accept third party firmwares in which it would still be up to the end user to contribute to the firmware developers of their choice. Show your appreciation and donate.
http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/D...w_your_support
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:40 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
In this case the "right thing" has no financial cost, just needs attribution and source code availability. I suspect this will be done.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget-Geek View Post
O.K., Once the link works they will be providing the modified code and they are accrediting the eR9x firmware in the manual ...
I don't see such accreditation. Just some URLs with "er9x" in them.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
And how would you connect the 3 position switch then??
I would use a DPDT centre off switch, replacing one on/off and in parallel with the other, unless I wanted to fit something else in place of the second. Replacing a pot has some appeal as well. Actually if I could find a four way switch that would be better still.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Last edited by aesmith; Dec 26, 2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:49 AM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Not necessarily "better", but if you were using a module with its own antenna, it would be best to remove the internal one. For most users, it will all work fine, but a lot of us want it to be as good as it can be.
How much of an effect do you think it would have on the signal?
gooby is online now Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:30 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
How much of an effect do you think it would have on the signal?
Not a lot, but enough to be nit picky about. For most it will not be an issue. If your looking at FPV possibilities, its best to just cover all corners and make your set up as good as it can be with what you have to work with.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:34 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget-Geek View Post
Nobody's getting mad that ORX has a module using DSM2/DSM-X protocol
How many times do we have to go over it?

I can nearly quote the pages, 30-35 and 55-60!

A protocol, an electronic language, can not be patented just like any other form of language! the only things that can be patented is hardware and software and JR/Spektrum doesn't even own the hardware! The chip is designed and made by some Chinese mob and is the same one, to my knowledge, as in the Flysky/FrSky (can't remember which) module!
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Last edited by molond; Dec 26, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:59 AM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Not a lot, but enough to be nit picky about. For most it will not be an issue. If your looking at FPV possibilities, its best to just cover all corners and make your set up as good as it can be with what you have to work with.
I might cancel my 9xr order and only replace the flysky module with frsky in my original 9x.
gooby is online now Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:07 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
I might cancel my 9xr order and only replace the flysky module with frsky in my original 9x.
Why not have both radios?

But I'm tossing up whether to buy the 9XR now, on backorder, or wait for the one with a module. I have already bought the FlySky module on AliExpress to replace the one I fried along with my 9x but I also want DSM capability.

Opinions?

EDIT: To make it extra clear, my 9X has been destroyed (reversed battery polarity) and I need a new radio, so I will buy a 9XR eventually and not use my 9X.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Last edited by molond; Dec 26, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:36 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
Why not have both radios?

But I'm tossing up whether to buy the 9XR now, on backorder, or wait for the one with a module. I have already bought the FlySky module on AliExpress to replace the one I fried along with my 9x but I also want DSM capability.

Opinions?
Don't buy the 9x now for DSM. It doesn't have it. I would get the ORX DSMX module for now and put it in your 9x. If you feel the need for easy flashing, the backlit screen, and better gimbals, go ahead.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:44 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
Don't buy the 9x now for DSM. It doesn't have it. I would get the ORX DSMX module for now and put it in your 9x. If you feel the need for easy flashing, the backlit screen, and better gimbals, go ahead.
I just ordered a 9XR, FrSky telemetry system, the LCD display, the awesome sensor hub and every sensor available, and a TX case, and 2 1000 mah 2s batteries in parallel with a JST connector for parallel...

Cost under $200 shipped, with 2 telemetry receivers, one with whole kit, one with just voltage. Try to get that from a spektrum!

Haha... DSMX is great for compatibility, and because its the industry standard, but FrSky is better. But FASST and FAASTEST is still better on the spectrum analyzer.

I mean so many choices. Futaba, FrSky, Spektrum, corona, OpenLRS, there are so many choices. Turnigy 9x and 9xr are the only affordable module based radios that give you the flexibility of a choice. Buy it if you want, if you have a 9x and want to buy this now, don't. Wait for the DSMX and battery.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Since you already have a decent radio, that would be wiser purchase.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA