HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
You'll still have do level conversion at a minimum. Check the telemetry mods for the 9x, it's not a trivial modification. If a simple connection could do it, it would have been done already.
not true. both hk and frsky and a hundered ebay vendors sell level conversion dongles so no need for mods to the radio at all. actually "level conversion" is a misnomer because level had nothing to do with the necessary conversion. it actually required a change in polarity not voltage.

btw the site had a pic of the hk (actually lsoft) usbasp plugged directly into the 9xr. this means 10 pin dongle which is cheapest and most common. no special cables required either.

Quote:
I doubt the mainboard for the 9xr is significantly different than the 9x.
i agree. and also judging from hk sites comment regarding 10 model memories looks like they didnt even bother to upgrade to m128.

Quote:
If you can get Frsky telemetry on screen without micro soldering or a TemetrEZ board, that would be a significant improvement of the 9x.
"microsoldering" was never needed on the 9x due to morehouse board you mention. even that will be obsolete since signals are available w/o "cracking the case" as hand puts it. now there is no need for smartiepants, telemetrees, or microsoldering even for those too helpless to solder a few wires. im guessing steven is not as excited by this new product as most of the guys here.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Dec 19, 2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: steven not happy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:06 PM
Model Warship Combat Skip
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
yes, that post and several other references including direct from hk. thats not the connector though. i made the same mistake earlier in this thread. that is for trainer plug as seen by the "futaba" label. the one in the battery compartment will be similar but for telemetry/usbasp.
Oh, OK, I saw 6 pins and assumed it was the programming port (it does not seem to be labelled in the photo).

Are there actual photos of the programming connector?

More amusingly, I went looking for the original post being replied to, and it turns out it isn't even from this thread or board (its from the HK forums) so I am no longer surprised I missed it.

Edit: Not only that, now I have checked the original; post it appears to be fake

Thanks

Richard
www.ausbg.org/sydney
oz_boater is offline Find More Posts by oz_boater
Last edited by oz_boater; Dec 19, 2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Now checked original post and it appears to be fake
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,558 Posts
Quote:

i agree. and judging from hk sites comment about 10 model memories looks like they didnt even bother to upgrade to m128.

Dave
Can you explain this? The 9XR has 16 model memories.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
As far as I know, there hasn't been a photo of the programming connector. I do recall reading that it was an USB connector in the battery compartment.
it cant be a usb connector because that would mean built-in programmer because that would mean radical redesign and also out of budget. and would prevent telemetry. you might be right about the notebook. i have memory of the lsoft dongle sticking out of something. so maybe not10 pin but rather 6 pin which would be better for hk since, as i mentioned before, their $5 one has 6 pin cable.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Dave
Can you explain this? The 9XR has 16 model memories.
sorry, i mistyped 10 because thats the limit for original 9x and actual limit for er9x in many cases. even 16 model memory means no m128.

i did suggest using flash instead of ee for that which would give almost unlimited models but er9x "core group" dont always take kindly to new concepts. a tight nit group. lol!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_boater View Post
The connector for programming is shown here http://turnigy9xr.com/images/hero/hero_4.jpg and does not seem to be inside a battery compartment
They're not the programming ports but both of them are trainer ports.

EDIT: Whoops. See it's already been mentioned.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:30 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_boater View Post
Oh, OK, I saw 6 pins and assumed it was the programming port (it does not seem to be labelled in the photo).
actually you can see it in the original photo earlier in this very thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post23259398). i made the same mistake and somebody corrected me. that last one appears to be photoshopped. so maybe theyve decided there is no futaba port and that is for isp. i hope so because even opening battery compartment would be a pain for telemetry. and 2 trainer ports sounds stupid anyway.

btw welcome to the foray. 2007! about time! this place is a barrel of monkeys fun. maybe even 1.5 barrels.
Last edited by dave1993; Dec 19, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: latest photo not the same.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
RC is healthy for your brains!
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Well, at least the 9xr website seems up for business finally. Time to buy, anyone?
.Superfly. is offline Find More Posts by .Superfly.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
not true. both hk and frsky and a hundered ebay vendors sell level conversion dongles so no need for mods to the radio at all.
Not true. You need FrSky module. Level converter. Cable between frsky and converter (should be possible to buy). With DJT module, you need to drill 9XR for telemetry wires. You need to place level converter somewhere - is enough space in battery compartment? You need to fix it somehow. You need cable between converter and isp connector (hardly usual combination of connectors, not possible to buy, you'll have to made it yourself). From my point of view, it's quite far away from what I'd call plug & play, so yes, hacking will be required.

Anyone who wants out of the box frsky telemetry with more channels and model match, should wait for x9da, or be prepared for "hacking required", less than in case of t9x, of course, but still required.
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:07 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlit View Post
Not true. You need FrSky module. Level converter. Cable between frsky and converter (should be possible to buy).
none of which require microsoldering (or any mods to the radio at all with smartypants). you guys are probably thinking of the "no transistor" mod which did require micro-surgery to both the radio and dht. imo it was much more difficult than the far more straight forward normal upgrade. funny how some things catch on in these forums.

anyway thats all history now. certainly a breeze with the new external connector.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:59 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,558 Posts
OK its 9am in Hong Kong on the 20th...Now for 5 days of mad searching and waiting! Not sure whether to set up email notification on this thread!
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:16 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
OK its 9am in Hong Kong on the 20th...Now for 5 days of mad searching and waiting! Not sure whether to set up email notification on this thread!
I might be adding to the speculation but although they most defintly make in in china I recon the product development, advertising and the actual launch is driven from elsewhere in the world..

Edit: cancel that.. website updated..
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Last edited by ckleanth; Dec 19, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:21 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Go to http://www.turnigy9xr.com/ and press Development.
There is a picture of four guys.

Guess what? They all work out of Hong Kong
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:27 PM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
... so maybe theyve decided there is no futaba port and that is for isp. i hope so because even opening battery compartment would be a pain for telemetry. and 2 trainer ports sounds stupid anyway.
No way I want a futaba port, plus they still list it on their specifications page.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,610 Posts
Quote:
my $10 v911 radio modified with er9x is more versatile and ergonomic than any of the futaba, jr, multiplex, etc.. a.
What's this about a v911 radio with er9x? Do tell!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72