SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
You are not correct when you say that they target completly different people. There is a large group of customers who are looking for their first radio and could buy either. There is another group like you and me who may buy either of both.
Hmm, the way I see it is that the 9XR might target more people that are just starting in RC.. It will be a good first radio, as the 9X was.
The frsky radios will be a bit more complex with all the extra features, and they will also be more expensive..

Quote:
Yep I'm on HK's payroll. Unfortunately I only get paid in the same cheap prices everyone else gets
yeah, ain't that wonderful?
As I said before HK already found itself a place in RC history.
Before there was a lot of people that could only dream about getting into RC.
But you know what? I also miss the local hobby store where we used to meet and have a nice chat sometimes.. there are not many anymore.
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:33 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
And that is spoken like somebody who feels bad that they had to shell out big $$ on Spektrum stuff to find they got duped into buying inferior product, and they could have had "better" gear, and a lot more of it for a lot less money.

I understand, its hard to admit when you've made an expensive mistake like that, especially after they were probably told to make the wiser purchase before they did.

Whats your deal?

FrSky is good product.......hands down. I don't think anybody can argue against that. If people like it , and those who have used it certainly do, and it works as it should, whats the big deal?

Again, whats your deal with FrSky?

Also, it seems some people are confusing FrSky with FlySky.
Ok I need to step on your toes a little here....Spektrum is a well supported product & who are backed with a good warranty & very good service should you need it.

You are not going to get that service with a Chinese transmitter....throw in the bin & buy a new one....it's what they want you to do.

No point receiving notifications from hear on.
simo71 is online now Find More Posts by simo71
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
But you know what? I also miss the local hobby store where we used to meet and have a nice chat sometimes.. there are not many anymore.
I don't. They were full of condescending people who didn't want to take the time to explain stuff to new people. Felt like I was an interloper. Not only that but you got much better advice from forums such as this. Much nicer ordering online and getting delivered to my work.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:00 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
And that is spoken like somebody who feels bad that they had to shell out big $$ on Spektrum stuff to find they got duped into buying inferior product, and they could have had "better" gear, and a lot more of it for a lot less money.

I understand, its hard to admit when you've made an expensive mistake like that, especially after they were probably told to make the wiser purchase before they did.

Whats your deal?

FrSky is good product.......hands down. I don't think anybody can argue against that. If people like it , and those who have used it certainly do, and it works as it should, whats the big deal?

Again, whats your deal with FrSky?

Also, it seems some people are confusing FrSky with FlySky.
Who said I feel bad about buying a Spektrum? The DX8 I have is a good radio. Sure I am looking for a better radio for a better price but I would never call buying it as "being duped". Do you think I'm not human?

I have no "deal with FrSky" as you put it. If you will read my posts you will read that I am also looking at possibly buying one. When did I ever say that FrSky wasn't a good product?

You clearly have not thought much about your post before you wrote it otherwise you would not have put together so much garbage.

PS
Just so its clear. Please don't answer the questions above they not stated to get an answer.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:00 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,471 Posts
Quote:
I don't. They were full of condescending people who didn't want to take the time to explain stuff to new people. Felt like I was an interloper. Not only that but you got much better advice from forums such as this. Much nicer ordering online and getting delivered to my work.
You probably went to the wrong ones
But I do know what you mean. I knew a few like that..
some stuff I don't like to order online.. Balsa wood for example.. I like to choose which ones I want to take.. It's just not the same..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Nothing wrong with DSMX protocol.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:20 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,589 Posts
I have been using spektrum since the dx6 came out in 2005. Never had a glitch or big issue since including on cheap bnfs and orange rxs. I don't feel I have wasted money. Where I live spektrum or txs with dsm/2 modules are the dominant market share and the upcoming newbie is frsky. I don't hear bad things said at the flying sites against either of these in fact mostly positive comments. Its a shame rcgroups has so many spektrum bashers and biased surveys where non spektrum vendors encourage votes against. I guess that's because they were first to market and are the market leaders. That's why HK and others are adopting their protocol. I think both 9xr and the new frsky txs will do well.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
DSM2 is an issue in that it is not a true spread spectrum technology but only on two different spectrums. Unfortunately these two can sometimes be close together as well which means that both can more easily be blocked causing a crash.
This technology was really poor compared to everything else on the market, including FlySky (i.e. the 9x stock transmitter). That's the reason Spektrum introduced DSMX which is a true spread spectrum technology. So DSM2 deserves some criticism but DSMX is more comparable to other options.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Sep 2002
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
its silly to blame everything on the bama. specially when its obviously al gores fault. "geen" indeed.

dam those nobel laureates. all of 'em!
The vast majority of today's politicians on BOTH sides are pathologically greedy and corrupt. Most became millionares AFTER entering politics.

Just search Youtube for Webster Tarpley and find out what YOUR billions of dollars are being spent on.
1705493 is offline Find More Posts by 1705493
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
I donít love or hate my local hobby stores and often buy small parts there. But I couldnít afford this hobby if I bought all my equipment there. Iím sympathetic to the hobby store owners and I donít suspect they are getting rich there either. Some of the people there are very knowledgeable and they are in it for the love of the hobby. But spending $10+ there for 2 servo extensions (made in China) makes me pause a minute. I could have gotten a bag of them from HK for just a few dollars and kick myself for being too impatient to order them.

Iím way off topic here, but I like my DX6i, but if I can get what I want from the 9xr instead of buying a dx8 Iíll be as happy as I am for buying an $18 HK battery instead of a $45 parkzone battery. But I donít have any illusions that the service, support and quality will be the same between a Turnigy radio and a Spektrum or Futaba radio. *Please let's not argue about Spektrum vs Futaba.
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2002
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Hmm, the way I see it is that the 9XR might target more people that are just starting in RC.. It will be a good first radio, as the 9X was.
The frsky radios will be a bit more complex with all the extra features, and they will also be more expensive..

yeah, ain't that wonderful?
As I said before HK already found itself a place in RC history.
Before there was a lot of people that could only dream about getting into RC.
I suspect that as energy and transportation costs go parabolic, the business model may change. You may get an Importer that brings in literally TONS of HK products on a container. From there, a distributor, doles out products to the local hobby shops. This would be good for all involved,,,, even if a bit more expensive. I have WAY too many transmitters and receivers JUST BECAUSE they're so cheap, (but well made).

Good god, some 20 years ago, I paid 60 dollars for "micro" servos from Cannon Radio, made in LA. They were good but monsters compared to today. And don't forget inflation, that 60 would be 100 dollars today.

Today, you can get full case servos from HK that weigh less than 2 grams and cost under 4 dollars. AND, they're FAR superior to the Cannon's of yesteryear.

We come a long way baby but it ain't over yet, the fat lady hasn't sung. China's economy is in a bubble, they built complete "ghost cities" for several million people each and they sit empty as few in China can afford them. This was done to maintain employment and use up their US dollar holdings which they are concerned won't hold their current value much longer.

China is now the largest producer of gold, and export none, they are the largest IMPORTER of gold and they are encouraging their citizens to buy/invest in gold. They even have gold vending machines in the major cities.

Brazil, Russia, India, and China, (the BRIC) countries are making deals to conduct trade in their respective currencies to by pass the US dollar's role as the world's reserve currency. The role of the Petro-Dollar is fast diminishing due to all the bankster bailouts, quantitative easing (printing money out of thin air) and trillions that keep going missing to who knows where.

Forget the farce they're calling the fiscal cliff. A collapse of the perceived value of the US dollar is the real problem.

Look up, The American Dream, Full Length Version

And
Money as Debt

And
www.webofdebt.com

And,
Executive order 11110

Sorry if this sounds political but it's really about the monetary system and the economy,,, both are in deep trouble.

That's why I have so many Tx's and Rx's and servos and all the neat, cheap but good ARFs, helis, quads, Lekkies, supplies,,, oh man, shrink tubing in all sizes and colors,, silicone, very fine braid wire, in all sizes, glue, covering material, wheels,,, on and on and on.

ACE RC used to provide a lot of the hardware the builders needed but they went out of business and I was real stuck, I build mostly and make my own packs, wiring harnesses, extensions, on and on.

To the rescue is HK,,, and yes, I'm a platinum member.

I'm hoarding all I can because this party that we are enjoying won't last.

IMO, of course.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Sep 2002
247 Posts
BTW,

I have A DX6I with 6 model memory, one stock, 9x with 9 model memory for larger aircraft, and anothe 9X converted to drive FR-Sky.

That makes 24 aircraft of all shapes and sizes that I can have, ready to go in the hangar as the mood pleases me. I find that the 9X and most of the HK products to be of high quality.

Forty-five years ago, all you could get was your basic TX, RX and four servos. Flight pack for you existing Tx? Fuggedit. You wanted two, three planes, you got three transmitters to maintain. NO reverse switches, we had to tear into the servo and resolder connections to do that.

Furthermore, we had to climb steep hills to get to school in the snow, BOTH WAYS.

Yeah, we had it tough but we had FRESH, unpasteurized, unhomogenized milk in glass bottles with cardboard tops delivered by a horse drawn wagon, every day, not barely two hours from the cow. Y'all don't know what REAL milk tastes like. And hey, you like chocolate milk? Most have no milk in them whatsoever. Look it up.

And Coke really WAS the real thing back then, in glass bottles, set in a cooler filled with COLD water, made with the original coca bean (it used to be a cocaine drink, legal at the time as a tonic) and real sugar, not the artificial color, artificial flavor, synthetic caffeine and the real heart killer, high fructose corn syrup. Cheap for Coke to use but deadly. Coke is NOT the real thing today. Listen, Coke, I'd pay DOUBLE for the real thing.

The real thing, not the same old, same old, packed in cute little antique bottles.
Last edited by 1705493; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
I'm of the opinion that things will improve rather than get worse wrt prices. You are right, transport costs play a big part in HK prices. However, international transport the world is changing slowly as the volumes increase and systems become more efficient. As for the price of energy.

It is true that there is a likelihood of higher energy prices in the future affecting transport costs. But this will affect everyone including your local hobby shop not just HK. Unless an outlet has the factories on their doorstep (which won't happen) the price disparity will remain.

The main driver of lower overseas prices is low overseas labor costs. With time, countries like China will increase their labor cost and it will re-balance. This is one of the great things about internet shopping and globalization. It helps balance out the economies of the world. The simple example of this is Japan which after WW2 rose to become a super economy. China will likely exceed Japans success purely because its population is huge

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now

In a few days hopefully we will all have a better idea what the 9XR is and shortly after that a few of the lucky ones who got in on the first batch will be telling us what its really like. Then we will have a whole lot more to discuss.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1705493 View Post
Cheap for Coke to use but deadly. Coke is NOT the real thing today. Listen, Coke, I'd pay DOUBLE for the real thing.

The real thing, not the same old, same old, packed in cute little antique bottles.
Not sure where about you are, but here on Southern Cal we can still get the real thing... except it's Hecho en Mexico. No joke, Mexican Coke still has real cane sugar - but it sells for at least double the price of a regular gringo Coke.

As for the 9XR - End of Days is next week. But still no Tx!
Left Coast DJ is online now Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1705493 View Post
BTW,

I have A DX6I with 6 model memory, ...
Why only 6? My DX6i has 10 model memories. Even the cheap OrangeRx T-SIX has 10 model memories. Also the 9X memories can be increased with new firmware.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800