Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW, Culburra Beach
Joined Jul 2010
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
The 9xr is a adage also than.

The transmitters are pretty much the same, just set up so its faster and easier to mod.

The radio and module is different. Spektrum is better than flysky in every way, and so is FrSky.

The 9xr is not much of an improvement over the 9x, but it sure is ore convenient, and you will spend less time on it.
The two things I was told is that switches are improved, along with plastics, software & the that it's DSMX.

Until it's actually released no one knows....on paper it's certainly an improvement.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
The two things I was told is that switches are improved, along with plastics, software & the that it's DSMX.

Until it's actually released no one knows....on paper it's certainly an improvement.
Since you can tell in the pictures that the board is the same, still not much...

DSMX and the firmware isn't any better, because many people already have ER9x and anyone can get DSMX or modify it for DSMX if they don't want to buy the HK module.

That leaves the convenient pinout and better switches, and cooler looks , and a backlight to be the improvement.

Is it better? Sure! I mean it can't hurt! Should you upgrade if you already have a 9x? I wouldn't.

But if you want to get a 9X, or a spektrum dx6i, go for one of these instead!
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Last edited by pilotavery; Dec 17, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW, Culburra Beach
Joined Jul 2010
551 Posts
Quote:
Since you can tell in the pictures that the board is the same, still not much...

DSMX and the firmware isn't any better, because many people already have ER9x and anyone can get DSMX or modify it for DSMX if they don't want to buy the HK module.

That leaves the convinient pinout and better switches, and cooler looks to be the improvement.

Is it better? Sure! Should you upgrade if you already have a 9x? I wouldn't.
Has there been any close up pictures? or is it those ones sitting on the table at a distance?
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Actually, this is ridiculous, understand that HK is a warehouse only and has no production facility !
Let alone this cult, it's a warehouse, not a temple ! And lot of people do this hobby without acquiring a single wire from them...
I am not sure if KKUSA post is a deduction, or he has connections (who has connections...) but it's simply the most probably to be true. Time will tell... the radio will appear one day and there are enough smart people who will disassemble it and identify components origin and how good they are.
People who knows how Chinese RC manufacturing works can tell you that much higher quality can't be expected at this price, and a new product can't born so fast without being a rewarmed soup with some facelift.
You can quote any marketing BS you want from your idol, it is still not economically sustainable.
Spoken by a Frky worshiper who is worried that the 9XR will derail his idol
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Jul 2005
194 Posts
This discussion is getting more entertaining by the hour. Less and less facts mixed with ever stronger emotions and opinions.
I will miss it when the radio is finaly released and people find out it that it is just another plastic box with levers and switches. Just like all the other radios...
dvogonen is offline Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:25 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
2,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
Muahhh haa hhaaa.. Do you really realize what you've just said?
There is no comparison between the 9XR and the frsky radios..
Come on, telemetry? voice? serial comunication between radio and RF module? model match? (I know the 9XR has Dsm but will it have model match? ), etc??

I gotta say that the X9D looks terrible.. too many buttons.. should have an encoder

I am very interested on the 9XR. Or better saying, I'm very interested on spare parts that might fit my 9x, just in case something gets broken
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Jul 2011
290 Posts
Quote:
The 9xr is a adage also than.

The transmitters are pretty much the same, just set up so its faster and easier to mod.

The radio and module is different. Spektrum is better than flysky in every way, and so is FrSky.

The 9xr is not much of an improvement over the 9x, but it sure is ore convenient, and you will spend less time on it.
Oh! Please inform we unwashed masses, ye sage enlightened one. How is it that Spektrum is better than Flysky in every way!? Perhaps I have only dreamed my planes have been flying these past 12 months. I eagerly await your elucidation.
rickthebrewer is online now Find More Posts by rickthebrewer
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Actually, this is ridiculous, understand that HK is a warehouse only and has no production facility !
Let alone this cult, it's a warehouse, not a temple ! And lot of people do this hobby without acquiring a single wire from them...
I am not sure if KKUSA post is a deduction, or he has connections (who has connections...) but it's simply the most probably to be true. Time will tell... the radio will appear one day and there are enough smart people who will disassemble it and identify components origin and how good they are.
People who knows how Chinese RC manufacturing works can tell you that much higher quality can't be expected at this price, and a new product can't born so fast without being a rewarmed soup with some facelift.
You can quote any marketing BS you want from your idol, it is still not economically sustainable.

Well said REN!! Most people are merely consumers with absolutely no clue how marketing, or manufacturing works.

I myself am a manufacturing engineer with a deep background in electronics design and manufacturing. Not only that, I have direct experience with Chinese electronics manufacturers. Not only do I know how they work, I know how HK works. Some of it is deductive reasoning, and some if very well educated guess.

HK may in fact be "building" these in house as stated, but that term can mean a "LOT" of things. Likely if they are doing any of the manufacturing process in-house , it will be something on the order of placing stickers on it, or merely packaging. I'm 99.999% certain that NONE of separate components that make up the final assembly are manufactured in-house. I'm also 98% certain that Hextronic (HK) does not own or operate ANY of the manufacturing facilities.

Quote:
Oh! Please inform we unwashed masses, ye sage enlightened one. How is it that Spektrum is better than Flysky in every way!? Perhaps I have only dreamed my planes have been flying these past 12 months. I eagerly await your elucidation.
Agreed, Spektrum happens to be probably the second WORST system available. That's not mere opinion either!!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:10 PM
Registered Adict
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Muahhh haa hhaaa.. Do you really realize what you've just said?
There is no comparison between the 9XR and the frsky radios..
Come on, telemetry? voice? serial comunication between radio and RF module? model match? (I know the 9XR has Dsm but will it have model match? ), etc??

I gotta say that the X9D looks terrible.. too many buttons.. should have an encoder

I am very interested on the 9XR. Or better saying, I'm very interested on spare parts that might fit my 9x, just in case something gets broken
Looks like we have another FrSky whorshipper.

Just because they are different doesn't mean they aren't bought by the same type of customer.

If you wanted spares and had some intelligence you would spares buy another 9x so I'm guessing that last statement is just grabbing at straws to pathetically try to denigrate the 9XR.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,618 Posts
"Oh! Please inform we unwashed masses, ye sage enlightened one. How is it that Spektrum is better than Flysky"

Genuine Spektrum has model match and a fail safe that shuts the throttle off and returns other channels to whatever they were when bound.

Flysky holds last setting on signal loss ("fly away" fail safe). No model match. The receivers are generally larger, heavier, and you have far fewer choices than with Spektrum (or compatibles). Anyone has a 9x knows all about Flysky's quality issues. Bad soldering, switches, and pots. I've had to deal with all of those issues on my 9x. My DX6i has been flawless for almost 4 years.

So Spektrum does have some real advantages over Flysky. I use both in smaller models and have never had a problem with the link with either. Flysky really isn't bad technology and costs a lot less than Spektrum.

I also have Frsky and I feel that it is superior to both Spektrum (DSM2 at least) and Flysky. If for no other reason than you get telemetry at a very reasonable cost. Frsky is very responsive to it's users and embraces the open source community.

It's only the ability to run open source firmware, and accept anyone's module that made the 9x so popular and if the 9XR is just a 9x with better components and the ability to run open source firmware built in, it will still be a huge success.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Last edited by pmullen503; Dec 16, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,356 Posts
I like the 9XR and Frsky and understand Frsky will produce a module for the 9XR that will plug into the 9XR aerial? I am hoping the 9XR will be a way to get me into Frsky whilst still managing my BNF and other DSM2 fleet. If Frsky works out I will upgrade to their X12D but we dont even know pricing for X9D or their others. At lease we are getting dribbles of information on Facebook for the 9XR!
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
2,895 Posts
Quote:
Looks like we have another FrSky whorshipper.

Just because they are different doesn't mean they aren't bought by the same type of customer.

If you wanted spares and had some intelligence you would spares buy another 9x so I'm guessing that last statement is just grabbing at straws to pathetically try to denigrate the 9XR.

Don't be silly man.. When I mean spares, I mean with better quality than the 9x's original parts.. I did buy a second 9x as you said.. you know what I did? I modded it as well as it would be a shame to have a brand new radio just sitting there for parts. That's why I'm following the 9XR. Promise of spare parts + compatible with the old 9x.

How much does HK pay you anyway??

And I do like frsky, I'm not religious, but yes, I do like their quality. Their RF material rocks, their telemetry rocks.. Very good quality for a chinese product. And you know what is really good? they listen..

Will I buy their radio? don't know. not the X9D for sure.. The others look promising though.

As I said, there is no comparison between the the 9XR and the frsky radios.. completly different worlds. they target completly different people.. 9XR will target more people that have spektrum models, hence having integrated DSM..
Maybe if don't like any of the frsky radios, or if they're too expensive for me, and the 9XR can be modded, i get one. I do like the looks of the 9XR except for the handbag handle at the top
First thing I would do would be to trash the DSM module inside
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:06 PM
Registered Adict
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Don't be silly man.. When I mean spares, I mean with better quality than the 9x's original parts.. I did buy a second 9x as you said.. you know what I did? I modded it as well as it would be a shame to have a brand new radio just sitting there for parts. That's why I'm following the 9XR. Promise of spare parts + compatible with the old 9x.

How much does HK pay you anyway??

And I do like frsky, I'm not religious, but yes, I do like their quality. Their RF material rocks, their telemetry rocks.. Very good quality for a chinese product. And you know what is really good? they listen..

Will I buy their radio? don't know. not the X9D for sure.. The others look promising though.

As I said, there is no comparison between the the 9XR and the frsky radios.. completly different worlds. they target completly different people.. 9XR will target more people that have spektrum models, hence having integrated DSM..
Maybe if don't like any of the frsky radios, or if they're too expensive for me, and the 9XR can be modded, i get one. I do like the looks of the 9XR except for the handbag handle at the top
First thing I would do would be to trash the DSM module inside
Ahh so you are similar to me then. As I have said previously, I too am looking at both the 9XR and FrSky as another radio (or two) for my arsenal.

The posters who come here clearly just to denigrate the 9XR with baseless statements deserve all the flack that they get. Its fine adding to the thread with objective/constructive posts but being purely negative is a waste of typing.

I'm glad you can see that one of the objectives that HK had was to upgrade the components. Its more than a few people here will admit or acknowledge.

You are not correct when you say that they target completly different people. There is a large group of customers who are looking for their first radio and could buy either. There is another group like you and me who may buy either of both.

Yep I'm on HK's payroll. Unfortunately I only get paid in the same cheap prices everyone else gets
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
And that is spoken like somebody who feels bad that they had to shell out big $$ on Spektrum stuff to find they got duped into buying inferior product, and they could have had "better" gear, and a lot more of it for a lot less money.

I understand, its hard to admit when you've made an expensive mistake like that, especially after they were probably told to make the wiser purchase before they did.

Whats your deal?

FrSky is good product.......hands down. I don't think anybody can argue against that. If people like it , and those who have used it certainly do, and it works as it should, whats the big deal?

Again, whats your deal with FrSky?

Also, it seems some people are confusing FrSky with FlySky.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
601 Posts
Quote:
Maybe your statement is ridiculous.

Here is a YouTube clip posted by Hobbking Live on the making of their NTM motors:
HobbyKing® TURNIGY® PropDrive brushless motor manufacturing (1 min 14 sec)

Note in the comments below they say:
Quote:

HobbykingLive 2 years ago

NTM's "PropDrive" are totally in house, HobbyKing is able to monitor all materials. QC begins from stock/material arrival, right through to final Dyno and balance.
·in reply to rapz0r
HobbykingLive
Quote:
HobbykingLive 1 year ago

NTM's are priced lower because we produce them completely in-house.

NTM's are the best motors we retail at the moment.
·in reply to rapz0r
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea