SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Nov 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
The only plus the 9XR will have over the 9X is that it comes with "ER9X" firmware out of the box. However, you can flash the 9X with ER9X. The 9XR just saves you $5 buying a programmer, and 10 minutes flashing it.

It may have better gimbals, but thats unlikely. Other than looks, they will essentially be the same radio with different stock firmware.
So, its THAT easy and cheap to install er9x?
Are there any pros and cons regarding the type of protocol? Seems like 9xr will have DSMX, is that better than, whatever the 9x has?
Dr.Dork is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Dork
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
If I were you I would want to wait for the 9xr as well, but you need a Tx now, how about this?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

Will work to fly something now, compatible with the same Rx's as 9x and only $30 shipped
Nah, if im going to buy a radio thats not the 9xr, it will be a 9x. But thanks for the recommendation!
Dr.Dork is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Dork
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
The only plus the 9XR will have over the 9X is that it comes with "ER9X" firmware out of the box
Do we now know that?
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dork View Post
I have the same problem. New to most of the R/C stuff. I know the basics but thats all. Im going to buy a Tx and first a was looking at the 9x, however i saw the 9xr was going to get released. Now, im not sure what i need. Except from the bugfixes, what exactly is the 9xr pros, against the 9x? And what is the possible cons? (according to the rumors...)
As far as functionality goes, the 9xr and 9x are identical.
The single biggest thing going for 9xr is that you do not need to open it up and modify anything since the two most important "mods" are factory installed ; display backlight and a programming port that makes it possible to upgrade the firmware.
The single biggest argument against 9xr is that it is brand new. It actually does not even exist yet. There are a near guarantee that something will be wrong with the first batch. Something is always wrong with new hobby grade technology. So you might end up having to modify the transmitter anyway. The best case scenario is that the firmware will have to be upgraded.
If you know how to solder and enjoy building stuff you should go for the 9x, a backlight kit and a USBASP programmer.
If you do not like modifying stuff, you are better off waiting for the 9xr.
dvogonen is offline Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:25 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined May 2011
114 Posts
Does it mean the 9XR will no more be compatible with the v929 out of the box?

...don't know exactly what's kind of protocol the v929 hasl in fact , maybe FlySky?...
Altura is offline Find More Posts by Altura
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dork View Post
So, its THAT easy and cheap to install er9x?
Are there any pros and cons regarding the type of protocol? Seems like 9xr will have DSMX, is that better than, whatever the 9x has?
It's cheap but not all that easy. There's some tricky soldering involved in installing the $5 programmer. For an easy solution, you go to the Smartieparts programming board for $40 or so.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altura View Post
Does it mean the 9XR will no more be compatible with the v929 out of the box?

...don't know exactly what's kind of protocol the v929 hasl in fact , maybe FlySky?...
Yes, FlySky, not compatible with DSM2/DSMX.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Do we now know that?
We've known that from the beginning. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=25

The whole rationale for bringing the 9XR to market was to have a "pre-modified" 9x that can run open source firmware. The popular backlight and Spektrum mods are also done for you. No tricky soldering or need to buy a Smartieparts solderless programmer required.

Hopefully, it really will have better components and better QC than a 9x but other than that, it's just a modified 9x.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Hopefully, it really will have better components and better QC than a 9x but other than that, it's just a modified 9x.
I'm betting the components are of the same quality, in fact I am going to be surprised if they aren't identical to the 9X, other than a few minor PCB changes.

I would be surprised if FlySky isnt manufacturing the 9XR for HK as well. They would be the obvious OEM. HK and FlySky already have an OEM relationship and would be the most well equipped to handle it, out of any of the radio OEM's that would consider it anyway. I'm not sure any of the others would deal with HK on an OEM radio. I think they have said it is being manufactured in house, but that is probably complete BS and very very highly unlikely.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
I'm betting the components are of the same quality, in fact I am going to be surprised if they aren't identical to the 9X, other than a few minor PCB changes.

I would be surprised if FlySky isnt manufacturing the 9XR for HK as well. They would be the obvious OEM. HK and FlySky already have an OEM relationship and would be the most well equipped to handle it, out of any of the radio OEM's that would consider it anyway. I'm not sure any of the others would deal with HK on an OEM radio. I think they have said it is being manufactured in house, but that is probably complete BS and very very highly unlikely.
If you had taken the time to read the thread and the one on the HK forum you would not make rediculous statements like that.

Hobbyking have already stated that the components are an upgrade from the 9x and that it has been manufactured in house.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:52 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
if you had taken the time to read the thread and the one on the hk forum you would not make rediculous statements like that.

Hobbyking have already stated that the components are an upgrade from the 9x and that it has been manufactured in house.
+ 1
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:04 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
If you had taken the time to read the thread and the one on the HK forum you would not make rediculous statements like that.

Actually, this is ridiculous, understand that HK is a warehouse only and has no production facility !
Let alone this cult, it's a warehouse, not a temple ! And lot of people do this hobby without acquiring a single wire from them...
I am not sure if KKUSA post is a deduction, or he has connections (who has connections...) but it's simply the most probably to be true. Time will tell... the radio will appear one day and there are enough smart people who will disassemble it and identify components origin and how good they are.
People who knows how Chinese RC manufacturing works can tell you that much higher quality can't be expected at this price, and a new product can't born so fast without being a rewarmed soup with some facelift.
You can quote any marketing BS you want from your idol, it is still not economically sustainable.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,629 Posts
'in house' means one of the Hextronics group companies such as Turnigy or Orange. We are not privy to the HK corporate structure details. Im sure I also read that the switches quality has been looked at being improved in the 9XR compared to the X. To make statements that there is no improvement over the X will no doubt be shown to be ridiculous. In fairness I dont have an X, just a DX6i so I guess Im seeing the 9XR as a natural upgrade from that! If I had an X and invested a lot in upgrading it I would maybe have a different POV!
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
584 Posts
The Flysky 9x is such an average transmitter, the 9XR will need to be an improvement in every aspect.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:42 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
The 9xr is a average also than.

The transmitters are pretty much the same, just set up so its faster and easier to mod.

The radio and module is different. Spektrum is better than flysky in every way, and so is FrSky.

The 9xr is not much of an improvement over the 9x, but it sure is ore convenient, and you will spend less time on it.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Last edited by pilotavery; Dec 17, 2012 at 03:33 AM.